Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Merged Topic

name that tune
SteveMKentucky

Re: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon arrived today!

Post by SteveMKentucky » 22 May 2015 12:28

Artzineonline wrote:...David Gilmour laments, during and interview in the documentary "The Making of The Dark Side of the Moon," he says it with such regret,
it nearly breaks the heart to hear it; coming from someone who was literally part of the experience:

“I’d love to’ve been a person… who could sit back with his his headphones on… and listen to that whole way through... for the first time….. I never had that experience….. It would’ve been nice..”
Cheers
Hmmm, I guess I was that person he was talking about.

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 22 May 2015 18:42

The Japanese pressing arrived today.
A quick listening comparison to the US pressing:

I listened to "Eclipse" several times alternating, and noticed that the US pressing sounds muffled, in comparison to the Japanese pressing that sounded clean, clear, and robust. This could be due to the US pressing having seen more play, and it's worn. However, it may also be that the Japanese pressing was engineered "hotter." On the surface, the US version of the song "Eclipse" looks 'thiner' on the vinyl, than the Japanese pressing which might account for the 'louder' sound:
us.JPG
(126.36 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
japan.JPG
(82.89 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Clearly 'unscientific' but...

I have three more pressings of DSOTM coming soon ( including an early UK version... =D> )
The Japanese pressing is the one to beat... :D

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 22 May 2015 20:14

I have several pressings of this, with the best ones being the MFSL one
and the Japanese 'Pro-Use Series' one (the one with the brown and red
EMI label shown in the centre below). Worst, by a mile, is the 1997 Digital
Remastered version with the sticker with the blurred prism on it. This was
part of 7 Pink Floyd LPs released, all of them digitally remastered. Funnily
enough, not all of them sound poor - The Wall sounds superb.

The 'EMI 100 - The Vinyl Collection' one was also released in 1997 but is
taken from the original masters and sounds very good.

http://i53.tinypic.com/sxjfxv.jpg

James H

robgil
long player
long player

Post by robgil » 23 May 2015 00:46

In fairness I don't see what all the fuss is about, its a very over rated album and as far as Pink Floyd albums go it was released on the slippery slope downwards for Pink Floyd anyway, they made much much better music than this, this was the start of them disappearing up their own bum holes.

SteveMKentucky

Post by SteveMKentucky » 23 May 2015 01:06

robgil wrote:In fairness I don't see what all the fuss is about, its a very over rated album and as far as Pink Floyd albums go it was released on the slippery slope downwards for Pink Floyd anyway, they made much much better music than this, this was the start of them disappearing up their own bum holes.
I, for one, respectfully disagree sir. Each to his own.

zeppelinfloyd95
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by zeppelinfloyd95 » 23 May 2015 01:18

robgil wrote:In fairness I don't see what all the fuss is about, its a very over rated album and as far as Pink Floyd albums go it was released on the slippery slope downwards for Pink Floyd anyway, they made much much better music than this, this was the start of them disappearing up their own bum holes.
I completely disagree. I wouldn't say that they were declining when Dark Side of the Moon was released because they released outstanding albums before and after DSOTM was released. Wish You Were, Animals, and The Wall came out afterwards. I'm not a huge fan of The Final Cut but Momentary Lapse of Reason was also a good album in my opinion. What's wrong with those? There is a reason why DSOTM sold around 50 million copies and it's because the album was and is great, even in present-day.

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 23 May 2015 01:47

robgil wrote:In fairness I don't see what all the fuss is about, its a very over rated album and as far as Pink Floyd albums go it was released on the slippery slope downwards for Pink Floyd anyway....
"...The Dark Side of the Moon is a fine album with a textural and conceptual richness that not only invites, but demands involvement. There is a certain grandeur here that exceeds mere musical melodramatics and is rarely attempted in rock. The Dark Side of the Moon has flash-the true flash that comes from the excellence of a superb performance." --- LLOYD GROSSMAN May 24, 1973

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... n-19730524
prism-1.jpg
(12.53 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

zeppelinfloyd95
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by zeppelinfloyd95 » 23 May 2015 03:22

Artzineonline wrote:
"...The Dark Side of the Moon is a fine album with a textural and conceptual richness that not only invites, but demands involvement. There is a certain grandeur here that exceeds mere musical melodramatics and is rarely attempted in rock. The Dark Side of the Moon has flash-the true flash that comes from the excellence of a superb performance." --- LLOYD GROSSMAN May 24, 1973

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... n-19730524
prism-1.jpg
Nice quote! :D

robgil
long player
long player

Post by robgil » 23 May 2015 09:07

Perhaps its just not for everyone guys, I'm more a fan of the early stuff myself. There is no denying it is a successful album but how many copies sold are copies being sold to people a second or third time around?

FUGAZI86

Post by FUGAZI86 » 24 May 2015 20:15

I total agree with you. i posted before my opinion and i told this is the most overrated album of the time, and will never be my PF favourite record again. i don't have emotions, moreover seems to be a beautiful product by EMI but not something felt by the arsists. not casually none of them stated this album as their favourite, Gilmour and Wright being precise always liked the next album most.
i'm not saying is a bad record, or music itself. it's something very well done from the beginning till the end. but PF made other stuff which gives me more than this so called "masterpiece". :P

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 24 May 2015 20:37

FUGAZI86 wrote: i posted before my opinion and i told this is the most overrated album of the time...., moreover seems to be a beautiful product by EMI but not something felt by the arsists..... :P
I think factual evidence would help you make your case: "Overrated" How? "Beautiful product by EMI" not felt by the artists? This might be worthwhile watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLqkwGfwajs

I'm not trying to change your mind. You either like it or your don't, but that takes nothing away from the work being a masterpiece of music!

robgil
long player
long player

Post by robgil » 24 May 2015 21:10

Every piece of music is a master piece to someone, its just that this one seems to be a bit over rated. :D

FUGAZI86

Post by FUGAZI86 » 24 May 2015 21:17

don't worry artz! it's good for you to hold your point of view. and i don't wanna be a "spoiler" anymore. i'v been a DSOTM lover until the end of last decade. but now there is something wrong with the record, which i admitted before is a masterpiece. for the charts, for most of you, for the history, but not for me too. :D
give me "the division bell" every day, or even "the final cut" but DSOTM is not a progressive rock album anymore, and i told you a "product" for the compositions, if you think its precessor had a total different style. it doesn't mean it was better, absolutely not. but the entire "echoes" has nothing to envy on it. :)
well i hope no one will get bad mine which are only opinions... it's IMHO!! somehow i don't think charts or numbers are the only ways to judge the music.

robgil
long player
long player

Post by robgil » 24 May 2015 21:37

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 01 Jun 2015 05:59

"I can't think of anything to say except... I think it's marvelous! HaHaHa!" - Brain Damage (Waters) 3:50
dsotm.jpg
(134.36 KiB) Downloaded 340 times