Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Merged Topic

name that tune
rwcooper

Re: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon arrived today!

Post by rwcooper » 17 May 2015 01:39

Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are two of my favourite albums. I'm on my third copy of Dark Side of the Moon, got the first one when it was originally released. Enjoy!

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 17 May 2015 16:56

]
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
Artzineonline wrote:
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
Grateful Dead (Positions 1 thru 9)

Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Marillion and five other bands I have yet to listen to tied for the 10th spot :D

Best from the Pampas;
Roberto
Try "Crime of the Century' by Supertramp, you might be pleasantly surprised..... I was! :)

[attachment=0]Supertramp_-_Crime_of_the_Century.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
Supertramp_-_Crime_of_the_Century.jpg
(81.56999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 19 May 2015 14:03

kingdhansak wrote:Nothing short of a life changing album for me. Glad you enjoy it!!

There are many more great PF albums out there. Meddle, Animals, Obscured by Clouds, Wish you Were Here, Piper at The Gates of Dawn are all worth obtaining.
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of several PF albums you mention here. There is a consensus ( after researching here and elsewhere) that not all the UK pressings of PF's albums are the best. The German pressings get high ratings in terms of quality workmanship and sound. Surprisingly, so do the Japanese pressings. I'm talking, of course, about "vintage" or early pressings, released during the original UK pressing releases, not current pressings ( Czech Republic ) except for DSOM solid blue, which still remains, in everyone's opinion, the best original UK pressing ( which is fetching some very high prices on auction sites)

In short, I'm trying for the "best original sound" and best vinyl shape, as opposed to UK only pressings. I hope this strategy works out. [-o<

FUGAZI86

Post by FUGAZI86 » 20 May 2015 00:49

Artzineonline wrote:
I'm talking, of course, about "vintage" or early pressings, released during the original UK pressing releases, not current pressings ( Czech Republic ) except for DSOM solid blue, which still remains, in everyone's opinion, the best original UK pressing ( which is fetching some very high prices on auction sites)

In short, I'm trying for the "best original sound" and best vinyl shape, as opposed to UK only pressings. I hope this strategy works out. [-o<[/quote]

EMI reissue of PF never been made in czech republich, EMI never used that plant. after sold their pressing plant in Hayes middlesex (but the plant is still running), their vinyl where always from other factories or their original sometimes, but never from czech republic (this is EMI thanks god); they used the German plant for DSOTM 2011 reissue (optimal media), or records industry in holland for the most discussed 2003 anniversary edition, which had been claimed by many as the best version, even if someone had sssssibilants problems.
they even used their original plant (the vinyl factory in Hayes at the time was name portal space), for the David Gilmour solo album "on an island", so that was a really UK pressing. (shame on me i didn't buy it) :(

JAG

Post by JAG » 20 May 2015 02:18

Great thread about one of my favorite albums along with Supertramp's "Crime of the Century". Had the pleasure to hear this at a laser show at the Griffith Observatory(reel to reel tape) through a very nice sound system. I have an original Capital pressing in nice shape and the SACD. Might have to compare them to an unopened 30 th Anniversary copy from Holland. Doesn't hit the same emotional chord it did back in the day, but enjoyable none the less.
For my money, Staven Wilson and Porcupine Tree are making Prog Rock for the new millennium.

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 20 May 2015 05:22

FUGAZI86 wrote: PF never been made in czech republich,
Right!

I was being facetious :oops: Only because I was at an FYE store and saw some vinyl on their shelves with huge round stickers that said "made in Czech Republic" on them! which I thought was funny. Of course, I don't know how good Czech pressings are, so I should be cautious about making derogatory statements implying dubious quality. :oops:

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 20 May 2015 05:42

JAG wrote: Supertramp's "Crime of the Century"...
Alan Taffel wrote a review of 'Crime of the Century' downloads from SuperHiREz.com ( 192/24) and HDtracks ( 192/24) in the May/June issue of 'Absolute Sound' magazine:

"Upon its release in 1974, Crime of the Century was hailed as a bona fide audiophile recording. Guess what? It still is...The new HDtracks and SHR.com downloads kill it [ the 2002 remastered CD version]. Their sound is bigger and ballsier, yet smoother airier.... the HDtracks download is clearly superior [to SHR]..
Highly recommended."

I've listened to the vinyl version, only.

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 20 May 2015 05:57

JAG wrote: For my money, Staven Wilson and Porcupine Tree are making Prog Rock for the new millennium.
Wow! Fabulous =D> =D> =D>

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 20 May 2015 16:54

Artzineonline wrote:The German pressings get high ratings in terms of quality workmanship and sound. Surprisingly, so do the Japanese pressings.
Why is it a surprise that Japanese pressings are high quality? :?

James H

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 20 May 2015 20:30

Basing it on a comment made by Michael Fremer, analogplanet.com editor, Stereophile senior contributing editor. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKcV430APoo

Cheers

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 20 May 2015 22:28

Personally, I never bought into the the claims that all Japanese pressing are somehow superior.
I usually find that the frequency balance is off.

A case in point is a Jimi Hendrix compilation album pressed in Japan that I recently got. "The essential Jimi Hendrix- Volume Two"
It's a bit lacking in the mids and is also bass heavy.

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 20 May 2015 23:32

Artzineonline wrote:Basing it on a comment made by Michael Fremer, analogplanet.com editor, Stereophile senior contributing editor. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKcV430APoo

Cheers
So, you're basing it on someone elses opinion rather than your own ears?

Fair enough, squire. Probably best to get back on topic...

James H

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 21 May 2015 02:03

james73_2008 wrote: So, you're basing it on someone elses opinion rather than your own ears?

Fair enough, squire. Probably best to get back on topic...

James H
True. I do give much, too much, credit to experts. My Japanese pressing of DSOM has not arrived just yet. But, when it does, I shall judge by mine own ears, no doubt about that. 8)

SteveMKentucky

Post by SteveMKentucky » 22 May 2015 01:49

I still have the original copy that I bought in 1974 while I was in college. I remember buying it and returning to the dorm. I put it on, put on my headphones and listened to it in it's entirety. I've never had another listening experience since that since. I'll have to dig my old LP out as I've not played in in a number of years. When I've wanted to hear DSOTM I've played a recent CD that I bought.

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 22 May 2015 03:05

SteveMKentucky wrote: I remember buying it and returning to the dorm. I put it on, put on my headphones and listened to it in it's entirety. I've never had another listening experience since that since.
You are lucky. I feel I am, since I experienced the same, a few weeks ago. David Gilmour laments, during an interview in the documentary "The Making of The Dark Side of the Moon," he says it with such regret,
it nearly breaks the heart to hear it; coming from someone who was literally part of the experience:

“I’d love to’ve been a person… who could sit back with his his headphones on… and listen to that whole way through... for the first time….. I never had that experience….. It would’ve been nice..”

(46:28) on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENU5dKJvVpY

Cheers
Last edited by Artzineonline on 22 May 2015 12:32, edited 1 time in total.