Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Merged Topic

name that tune
sparrow
long player
long player

Post by sparrow » 24 Nov 2008 12:04

I own the 30th ann. and an original. My 30th Ann. copy is superior to the original. Sounds fine on my humble tt anyway. One to avoid is the sacd version as it's to put it mildly pish.

blisteringbarnacles

Post by blisteringbarnacles » 24 Nov 2008 12:28

my 30th is thinner and more shut-in than an original I have; also has the most awful surface noise.

there are a lot of 'sealed' copies on ebay (or were): 'seconds' ?

bena

Post by bena » 24 Nov 2008 12:32

Hmm, thanks guys.
I'm listening again now and I can't quite be sure if it's "opening up" ? I will have to stick the old one on again in a mo for comparison.

Is it really likely that it could be a duff one? Would that pretty much mean there's a duff batch too? I suppose what I'm getting at is the possibility of sending it back and receiving one that is no better. Was bought from HMV in case anyones interested.
That bit at the end: "Theres is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact..." etc, is really quiet, as are some other similar passages. I thought I should be hearing new stuff on a new copy, not missing old stuff! :lol: :cry:

Ben

DJ Bayou Boy

Post by DJ Bayou Boy » 30 Nov 2008 16:11

I found one in my store and am planning to get it soon. I have the original so I will be able A/B as well. I'm a little concerned now though .....

blakep

Re: Dark Side of The Moon 30th Anniv. let down...

Post by blakep » 01 Dec 2008 08:17

[quote="bena"]Well I splashed out £18 on the 30th anniv. pressing of this and I've got to say I'm a little underwhelmed.
Now I'm not the type of audiophile that sits there analyzing all the various pressings/media types of this record as they believe it is the holy grail - I just love the album and my '73 version is pretty beat up.
BUT, despite the original being well played and not best looked after (it's 2nd hand), it still sounds much, much more open than the new one.
The new one IS a fantastically quiet bit of vinyl, but other than that it seems really stiffled, like the bass and midrange are great but there is no openess or space. I actually thought the stylus was really dirty.

Has anyone else found this about this album, or have I somehow got an iffy pressing? (unlikely I would have thought...)
Could it be a fair bit of release agent effectively filling up the detail areas of the grooves? I've given it a clean with an alcohol based solution, but not had it on an RCM (as I haven't built it yet :lol: )

Opinions / experiences appreciated.

Ta

Ben[/quote

I'd agree with you. You are probably in the majority opinion with respect to most people who have seriously compared the 30th Anniversary with other pressings of the album. At the Vinyl Asylum at Audio Asylum, for example, the 30th consistently comes in well down the line even against some fairly commonly obtained early North American pressings let alone your UK original-have not heard one of those and I bet it is impressive.

I prefer a couple of (but not all) early Canadian pressings I have as well as an early German to the 30th. By comparison, although the 30th is on very quiet vinyl, etc. it seems a bit "lifeless" to the originals.

Not all of the re-issues I have are disappointments-I have some excellent jazz re-issues on Speakers Corner for example-but generally speaking I find you have to be very careful with rock re-issues. A significant amount of the time I think originals are the way to go and, unlike the early jazz stuff in many cases, are readily available at reasonable prices.

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » 01 Dec 2008 20:19

I guess it depends where an when you purchased it. The earlier 30th Anniversary pressings from earlier stampers/mothers are much better than recent ones.

I have a very good copy 1st issue UK pressing and my 30th is both quieter and slightly more dynamic, though the bass level is raised over the original which i'm not so happy about.

I guess like anything the quality varies.

bena

Post by bena » 02 Dec 2008 08:55

Thanks guys.

sq - I only bought it from HMV very recently, so I guess it would be a later pressing and therefore maybe not one of the best.

The thing is I'm not the sort to sit there and analyze for hours and hours to find differences, ultimately I like to sit back and enjoy. But the difference in this case is quite stark, the 30th just seems like it is held back somewhat. I read somewhere that it had been remixed on all valve/analogue equipment, anyone know if thats true?
Also, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a bit of sibilance on the last track! This is why I wondered about it being full of release agent/whatever - in my mind it would make sense - if the deepest, finest points of the grooves are filled, surely it could result in a quiet record that lacks detail...and possibly create sibilance due to the stylus not seating as it should? :?:
I dunno, just theories!

DJ Bayou Boy

Post by DJ Bayou Boy » 08 Dec 2008 03:04

Got it today for $25.99 USD. Haven't opened and played yet. Back sticker on shrink says Made in Holland.

bena

Post by bena » 11 Dec 2008 12:54

Have you had chance to play it yet DJ BB?
Incidentally, is there any other indication on the record that it was made in Holland? I don't have the shrink wrap anymore and all the markings on the packaging just say Made in EU?
I'm sure I remember reading that the earlier ones were better and that they were the ones pressed in Holland? Could have that completely arse-face of course :lol:

michaelwnz

Post by michaelwnz » 11 Dec 2008 22:30

Some articles on the 30th Anniversary DSOTM

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_ ... e_ID=11084

DJ Bayou Boy

Post by DJ Bayou Boy » 12 Dec 2008 03:32

Finally opened it tonight. I started with my original copy (Capital/EMI) ... it's in great shape and sounded great. Then I played the new one. Wow. My copy is great!! VERY PLEASED with the sound quality. The vinyl is not as quiet as it could be but it doesn't matter. The snare is so real and the whole thing sounds incredible. I will say the songs on the outer edges of the LP sound the best --- full dynamic range as if you were there. Towards the middle the sound seems to lose a little (but not much). I could tell from the snare sound (I'm a drummer). The cymbals are very airy and real throughout.

With regards to the Holland pressing. My copy only had "Made in Holland" as a sticker on the shrink wrap. I couldn't find "Holland" anywhere else on the LP or cover.

Dead wax -- "DSOTM - A2" "9255.1 (3)" "Doug" and "KLCATM"

bena

Post by bena » 12 Dec 2008 11:42

Hmm interesting, glad your one is a good 'un.

Seems I may just have an iffy pressing then. I am persevering at the moment and I feel it has maybe opened up slightly, unless I'm getting used to it. BUT I have deliberately just played the 30th and not my original. If I put that back on in the near future and go WOW at the compared clarity then i guess I have my answer :(

Oh and thanks for the link michael, interesting reading.

michaelwnz

Post by michaelwnz » 13 Dec 2008 00:57

YW

:wink:

Jagged

Post by Jagged » 13 Dec 2008 17:09

My 30th Anniversary pressing is not quite as good as my 1st pressing, but it's far superior to all the other later pressings I own. In fact I was pleasantly surprised considering it had been digitally remastered just how dynamic and open it was. It's the one that gets played most often here. I did get one of the early ones though, as soon as it was released.
Sounds like something is amiss with yours.

michaelwnz

Post by michaelwnz » 13 Dec 2008 23:03

30th Ann. was not digitally remastered.