Currently Playing

name that tune
thommo_work

Post by thommo_work » 05 Aug 2004 11:45

The triple LP box of "Young, Gifted & Black", on Trojan.

50 of the best, and perfect for this sunny weather.

Irie.

Post by Guest » 05 Aug 2004 17:43

Last night, Keith Herron dropped by with some experimental circuits to evaluate. Among the LPs played was a 45 rpm test pressing given to Keith by Stan Ricker. I have no idea who was playing, or what label it was for, but it was jazz of electrifying quality--both sonically and artistically.

Another goosebump producer was Jacintha's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" in the 45 rpm version (a bonus with the "Lush Life" album on Groove Note).

euclid

Post by euclid » 06 Aug 2004 07:30

JAS

I think Time Out was Brubeck's best album. All the cuts have unusual time signatures. My favorite cuts are Take 5 (5/4) and Blue Rondo A La Turk (9/8). My copy is mono (Columbia CL1397). It has a few more ticks than I like. My sister and I bought it back in the early sixties when we we kids and did not have a decent turntable. I have still not upgraded to stereo.

I just started it on my old Empire 208 / SME 3009 / Stanton 680EE. Next on my list is a SQ pressing of Body Heat by Quincy Jones. QJ was a major producer from the 1960s when he did Jazz until at least then 80's when he was a huge influence in Funk.

Recently I have been digitizing some 78s that I am borrowing from a neighbor. Most are from the 30s and 40s. They have been a hit at the Wendsday old jazz listing sessions at work. A couple of the people who attend were DJs and Radio announcers in the 50's and 60's. They can still guess the title, artists, and label during the first 30 seconds of the tune!

cgb

Post by cgb » 13 Aug 2004 12:10

currently playing?

for the last 3 hours it was STICKY James Brown & The JBs, now it's Niney The Observer (King Tubby's dubs)

CRAAAAAAAANK UP THE BASS,

Rocking, cgb

drc

Post by drc » 28 Aug 2004 03:26

Time Out ( Brubeck) is the one i pick usually,another one is Linda ronstadt -For sentimental reason.

Highriver

Post by Highriver » 06 Sep 2004 23:26

Phil and Quill RCA LPM-1284 (1957)

Phil Woods and Gene Quill excellent pair of Tenor Saxophonists. I am fortunate that the vinyl on this one is near mint. A feast to listen to.

Post by Guest » 07 Sep 2004 00:23

A friend burned me a copy of CD #2 of Brubeck at Carnegie Hall, and last night it supplanted vinyl for awhile. Omigawd, that must be the most virtuosic drum solo on record! The whole set is fabulous, arguably the group's finest performance, and a must-have for any jazz fan.

Highriver

Post by Highriver » 07 Sep 2004 01:27

I've got that one a recent vinyl reissue. Castilian drums is an amazing performance.

Joe Morelo must have needed oxygen afterwards. :mrgreen:

Edit: The correct name for that cut is Castilian Drums NOT Sicillian Drums. :oops:

starboy

Dave Brubeck

Post by starboy » 13 Sep 2004 12:40

There is a fantastic vocal version of Take Five by Maria Joao a Portugese jazz vocalist. The vinyl sonics are also a killer.

Pretty rare on vinyl but is the best version I have heard.

Currently doin' heavy rotation in my system are the Brazilian vocalist Joyce and Nigerian afro-funk king Fela Ransome Kuti.

Too many tunes... Too little time.... :cry: :evil:

Best regards

StarboY

Hey, can we not put up Avatars on this site.

Highriver

Post by Highriver » 25 Sep 2004 00:09

Legendary Masters of The Piano ( Classsics Record Library SWV 6633 ).

This is a recording featuring live performances by among others:
Claude DeBussey
Ignace Paderewski
Edvard Grieg
Maurice Faure
Emile Saint-Saens
and Richard Strauss.

These performances were originally recorded on a Welte recording piano between 1906 and 1913. A restored Welte Vorsetzer was paired up with a Steinway Concert Grand and the results recorded in 1962.

There is some detailed information in this link: http://users.rcn.com/bobmer.javanet/Bad_Comz.htm

These recordings sound lovely and are not a mere historical curiosity. They would be marvellous even if one knew nothing of their origin.

Post by Guest » 03 Oct 2004 05:41

I'm making an effort to play stuff I'd been ignoring, particularly from those tasty Readers Digest boxes, just for the sake of discovery. Tonight it was the Festival of Light Classical Music set, Nutcracker and Swan Lake excerpts from record #12. This might be the best RD box of all, and these ballet numbers don't disappoint.

Even if you don't think you like classical music, find a good copy of this box. It's very common, dirt cheap on the used market, and the music is exceptionally accessible and fun. Sonically, most of the sides are demo quality if the vinyl is in decent shape (and not trashed by a previous owner's mistracking "needle"). The "Carmen" and "La Valse" cuts are spectacular.

biltmoredive

Post by biltmoredive » 05 Oct 2004 07:24

Archers of Loaf "Vitus Tinnitus"
Pixies "Come on Pilgram"
The Ventures "Telstar"
Man or Astro-man? "Experiment Zero"
The American Analog Set "Promsie of Love"
Radiohead "OK Computer"
Yo La Tengo "I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One"

Highriver

Post by Highriver » 10 Oct 2004 03:22

Dick Schory's Percussion Pops Orchestra RCA LSP 2613. (1963)

Highriver

Post by Highriver » 11 Oct 2004 01:36

At the moment Vassar Clements ( Mercury SRM 1-1022 ). Before that Maria Muldaur ( WEA MS 2148) and Maria Muldaur ... Maria Muldaur ....Waitress In A Donut Shop.....( WEA MS 2194 ).

Great Stuff!

Highriver

Post by Highriver » 15 Oct 2004 01:55

Dave Brubeck "Take Five" on LP. very nice indeed.

I also have Southern Scene but Unfortunately the only significant scratch runs all the way through "I Dream of Jeannie" AAAAAARRRRRGH ! Hopefully I will find a better copy some day! :roll: