Bragging time

name that tune
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Bragging time

Post by Coffee Phil » 12 Feb 2020 23:08

Tonite our El Dorado Community Concerts is presenting Stephanie Trick and Paolo Alderighi in concert. https://youtu.be/9XqD-RZMTig

They are a delightful couple and are doing a concert of four hand piano.

My wife is on the concert board so they are staying with us. This afternoon they were practicing as I was roasting my coffee. Imagine a couple of terrific Stride pianists playing my wife’s piano in our own family room. Does it get better than that?

During the session they did a version of Only Make Believe. They played it as Jerome Kern would certainly approve, then went into a stride version.

When the were done and ready to rest for the concert, I said to Paolo that I loved the private concert and if All The Things You Are is the most lovely American popular song, Only Make Believe had to be second. He replied, “would you like to hear that”? He then played it for me so beautifully that I thought it was second only to Art Tatum and Ben Webster’s version! https://youtu.be/MsZZkOgtMyI

Phil

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Bragging time

Post by fscl » 13 Feb 2020 00:27

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Have met and followed Stephanie while touring several times here on the East coast in Morristown, NJ since she was young. Also, caught her performing with Lorraine Feather. She's an amazing stride pianist and with Paolo, their four hand piano is a sight to be seen and heard.

C Phil, hosting Stephanie and Paolo is something to brag about. :mrgreen:

Congrats ...... =D> =D> =D>

Fred

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 13 Feb 2020 00:34

Fantastic, very cool indeed - and you roast your own coffee - bragging rights all round =D>

The closest I have been to your experience was being invited to dinner by a friend who had just returned from the US to Australia with his new girlfriend. The lady was a jazz pianist and had played with some of my favorite artists - after the meal she gave an impromptu mini concert which just floored me =D> 8)

Chris

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 13 Feb 2020 07:57

:P Hi Fred and Chris,

Thanks for the replies.

As expected the concert was incredable!

Phil

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 13 Feb 2020 08:57

Great story, great music and great coffee. What more can you ask for.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 13 Feb 2020 19:37

Hi Andy,

You are right, but I got more! They just left after practicing. The last thing they practiced was Only Make Believe again. As they were getting up Paolo asked what I wanted for an encore. I replied more Jerome Kern. Paolo then played a Kern medley for me.

It truly does not get much better than that!

Phil

andybeau wrote:
13 Feb 2020 08:57

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 13 Feb 2020 19:49

👍

Crazy Legs
United States of America

Post by Crazy Legs » 14 Feb 2020 13:17

Must have been incredible getting that private show.

Probably my best musician meeting was when I had lunch with Ozzy, Sharon and Kelly Osbourne. In fact, spent most of the day with them. It was Family Day at a rehab center in Los Angeles, and my buddy had me come out for it. He and Kelly were buds, so we spent time with the Osbournes. I mostly conversed with Sharon, she was a hoot. At one point we were sitting at a table having lunch when my buddy and Kelly left the table, which left me, Sharon and Ozzy. A few minutes later Kelly came running up, "Mum, mum, come with me i have to show you something.." and dragged Sharon away, which left me and Ozzy by ourselves, with only Sharon's empty chair between us. Ozzy wasn't paying attention when Kelly dragged mum away, so he thought she was still sitting there and starting "talking to her" when he turned and only saw me. A panic look came upon him and he started calling out, "Sharon! Sharon!" before getting up to find his family. I'll never forget the look of horror when he realized Sharon left him alone with some weird dude.

Another funny anecdote happened when everyone was arriving out on the lawn and just milling around. Ozzy couldn't get around very easily, he shuffled his feet and was very slow. When he could he held Sharon's arm for guidance. Looked like he could fall at any moment. But a soccer ball came into his path and all the sudden he took off running and started dribbling the ball with his feet, juking imaginary defenders. He only went about 15 yards, but it was mind-blowing. I didn't think he had it in him.

One thing I took away from it was that they seemed to be a very loving family.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 14 Feb 2020 17:03

Coffee Phil wrote:
13 Feb 2020 19:37
Hi Andy,

You are right, but I got more! They just left after practicing. The last thing they practiced was Only Make Believe again. As they were getting up Paolo asked what I wanted for an encore. I replied more Jerome Kern. Paolo then played a Kern medley for me.

Phil

andybeau wrote:
WOW :shock: =D> =D>

+ 👍

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 14 Feb 2020 17:28

Hi Crazy Legs,

It is hard to explain, but there is something special to connecting to the musicians which you admire!

Phil
Crazy Legs wrote:
14 Feb 2020 13:17
Must have been incredible getting that private show.

Probably my best musician meeting was when I had lunch with Ozzy, Sharon and Kelly Osbourne. In fact, spent most of the day with them. It was Family Day at a rehab center in Los Angeles, and my buddy had me come out for it. He and Kelly were buds, so we spent time with the Osbournes. I mostly conversed with Sharon, she was a hoot. At one point we were sitting at a table having lunch when my buddy and Kelly left the table, which left me, Sharon and Ozzy. A few minutes later Kelly came running up, "Mum, mum, come with me i have to show you something.." and dragged Sharon away, which left me and Ozzy by ourselves, with only Sharon's empty chair between us. Ozzy wasn't paying attention when Kelly dragged mum away, so he thought she was still sitting there and starting "talking to her" when he turned and only saw me. A panic look came upon him and he started calling out, "Sharon! Sharon!" before getting up to find his family. I'll never forget the look of horror when he realized Sharon left him alone with some weird dude.

Another funny anecdote happened when everyone was arriving out on the lawn and just milling around. Ozzy couldn't get around very easily, he shuffled his feet and was very slow. When he could he held Sharon's arm for guidance. Looked like he could fall at any moment. But a soccer ball came into his path and all the sudden he took off running and started dribbling the ball with his feet, juking imaginary defenders. He only went about 15 yards, but it was mind-blowing. I didn't think he had it in him.

One thing I took away from it was that they seemed to be a very loving family.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 14 Feb 2020 18:05

Hi Andy,

There is even more which I forgot to mention. They had mentioned that they had just seen the Met's production of Porgy and Bess simulcast in the movie theater. We missed it and I was sad over that. We brought up U-tube videos of arias from it and watched a few. The discussion drifted to recordings and they noticed my record player. They had never seen or heard of an Edison Diamond disc so I dragged out a piano solo by May A. Meyer of Dvorak's Humoresk #7. They were blown away by the thick record and the fact that they were listen to a nearly 90 year old recording. I then played a 100 year old 78 recording of the same piece as a lullaby. After that we moved to "mature" 78 technology of the '40s with some Ella. After that I put on some Trad Jazz on a stereo Lp with Kenny Ball's band playing Midnight In Moscow. They seemed to like that and were checking the liner notes on the jacket.

It is good when regular folks can appreciate my hobby, but when it is great musicians, that is special.

OK, forgive this over the line boasting: Paolo is Italian and they have some very good espresso over there. I pulled a double shot for him not adulterated with sugar or milk and he pronounced it to be the best he ever had. I'm not worried about the mermaid but If he ventures into what is the oldest coffee house in Europe (Rick Steves) which is in Venice I'm sure I'll be knocked off of my pedestal

It was a very special time!

Phil

fscl wrote:
14 Feb 2020 17:03
Coffee Phil wrote:
13 Feb 2020 19:37
Hi Andy,

Phil

andybeau wrote:
WOW :shock: =D> =D>

+ 👍

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 14 Feb 2020 19:38

Ok well if you have any of those home roasted beans available for travel to the UK I'm quite happy to review them for you.
Glad you had a good time

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 14 Feb 2020 21:42

Hi Andy,

I just got a notice from UPS that some green is arriving tomorrow. I should be able to roast some and put it in a padded envelope and ship it. I'll check with the post office. Do you like Africans, Pacific Island, or Central American coffees.

Phil
andybeau wrote:
14 Feb 2020 19:38
Ok well if you have any of those home roasted beans available for travel to the UK I'm quite happy to review them for you.
Glad you had a good time

Crazy Legs
United States of America

Post by Crazy Legs » 14 Feb 2020 22:36

Wow, that is certainly a fantasy of mine, having a rockstar over for a session and them being impressed with my collection. What an experience you had!

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 14 Feb 2020 22:47

Coffee Phil wrote:
14 Feb 2020 21:42
Hi Andy,

I just got a notice from UPS that some green is arriving tomorrow. I should be able to roast some and put it in a padded envelope and ship it. I'll check with the post office. Do you like Africans, Pacific Island, or Central American coffees.

Phil
andybeau wrote:
14 Feb 2020 19:38
Glad you had a good time
Africans and Pacific are my favourite at this moment but have enjoyed Central American.
Cheers
Andy