Tips on selling lower value records? Have a number of $5-10 records that are taking up space

name that tune
myusernamechosen
United States of America

Tips on selling lower value records? Have a number of $5-10 records that are taking up space

Post by myusernamechosen » 26 Jan 2020 13:13

So let me start by saying the value of a record to me isn’t based on a dollar value. I have plenty of cheap records I love.

With that said I’ve been working on refining my collection to things I truly love. I have 30-40 records in decent shape. I’ve sold higher value stuff on discogs but lower value stuff doesn’t make sense to me based on shipping. Selling to a store will get me pennies on the dollar.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for stuff like this?

poutrew
United States of America

Re: Tips on selling lower value records? Have a number of $5-10 records that are taking up space

Post by poutrew » 26 Jan 2020 18:10

Well, you could donate them to a Goodwill store and take a tax deduction on them at the end of the year. You could give them to a friend or relative as a 'starter' collection. I've even seen 'art' projects where people put them in the oven and melt them into a bowl shape and use them for chic coffee table décor - though I wouldn't put food items in them...

spensar
Canada

Re: Tips on selling lower value records? Have a number of $5-10 records that are taking up space

Post by spensar » 26 Jan 2020 18:13

Local post at $3 each or 4 for $10 to encourage bulk buying, or whatever lower "move it now" on craigslist price you are ok with.

myusernamechosen
United States of America

Post by myusernamechosen » 26 Jan 2020 18:40

poutrew wrote:
26 Jan 2020 18:10
Well, you could donate them to a Goodwill store and take a tax deduction on them at the end of the year. You could give them to a friend or relative as a 'starter' collection. I've even seen 'art' projects where people put them in the oven and melt them into a bowl shape and use them for chic coffee table décor - though I wouldn't put food items in them...
I did give some away to a woman at work who just got her first TT, gave her my duplicate Beatles stuff. All of these are too good to be one trash.

myusernamechosen
United States of America

Post by myusernamechosen » 26 Jan 2020 18:41

spensar wrote:
26 Jan 2020 18:13
Local post at $3 each or 4 for $10 to encourage bulk buying, or whatever lower "move it now" on craigslist price you are ok with.
That’s not a bad idea offering to do chunks on CL. Like a pick 4 thing. I have plenty of record mailers. Just didn’t want to have people coming to the house picking through. I like this idea

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 26 Jan 2020 20:12

Great idea spensar.....At least you get reasonable return on your original investment. Every re-seller will chisel you down, and I won't even entertain their "offers". Most buyers are familiar enough with the bid-up market value of the ebays and discogs of the world to recognize they are getting a good deal this way. We all want to feel we got something for nothing, and this will work. Excellent advise! 8)

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 26 Jan 2020 20:16

I just did a vicious cull from last years yard and estate sales and have 150+ to sell. I do have a few people to give first crack at as i know they will by quantity at those prices. $2- $3 is in the average ballpark of what I paid and I Spin Clean them and toss/donate the really beat up ones. I do listen to every LP at least once before it goes.