Thrift Store Record Find help

name that tune
iKokomo

Thrift Store Record Find help

Post by iKokomo » 17 Jan 2020 15:46

I found this really neat record in a thrift store. It seems to be a commercial for a radio station for a Plymouth Valiant.

I was wondering if anyone had any background, historical information on this record?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_5821.jpg
(141.86 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

spensar
Canada

Re: Thrift Store Record Find help

Post by spensar » 17 Jan 2020 16:37

Have you listened to it? It may help ID if this was a more local/regional market ad or corporate.

Tombo62
United States of America

Post by Tombo62 » 17 Jan 2020 16:42

An interesting artifact, that appears to be a lacquer disc cut by WEMP at 33 1/3 rpm with standard groove (78rpm) type stylus. Presumably done for a local Plymouth dealer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetate_disc

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Jan 2020 03:35

You should add a pic of that to my other thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=99719

I've found quite a few automotive-related records in the past like that...I found a promotional album of songs for the Lincoln Continental Mark II...There was some little 45' promo for a Dodge Coronet, I think...Some Chevrolet-related thing with Dinah Shore...You never know WHAT you might find, but that record is still a very cool item! 8)

It also would be fun to digitize it...People who love old radio ads would probably like to hear it...

By the way, if you love songs about cars, I highly recommend this 4-CD set, as well...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Hot-Rod ... ase/614209

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 18 Jan 2020 05:02

I have a certain passion for oddities like that.....including EPs of bands that later became big names in the business. These ads on vinyl are especially interesting since they capture a bit of a moment in time, when the radio and a DJ were second only to the local newspaper in advertising product. The products, the music used, the voice over narrators were all the "stars of the moment". When you listen to them, it is pretty much as close to a time machine as you will find, next to old TV reruns. Great find....likely the start of many more! :mrgreen: I can't find an online definition for this emoji, but I'm going with the big smile being "green with envy" just to clarify. Anyone know for sure?