Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or Farce

name that tune
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or Farce

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Jan 2020 12:52

They just announced the most recent inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but a couple of names raised some eyebrows since they aren't exactly rock. Not to take anything away from the accomplishments of either Whitney Houston of the Notorious BIG but they do make you wonder what makes them rock and roll when some deserving groups or individuals were snubbed.

Here's an article from 2014 discussing some of the issues with the Hall and it seems not much has changed since then. Fodder for discussion.
https://nowherebros.wordpress.com/2014/ ... -or-farce/

plyscds
United States of America

Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or Farce

Post by plyscds » 16 Jan 2020 16:27

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is what it is, and it seems incapable and/or unwilling to pass beyond this point. Among all its downside bugaboos is its anal opposition to visitors' "self commemorating" their visit. Their reason has to to with all the copyrighted material on display. There was a time I did want to tour through the facility, but upon learning of all the "no-no's" at the door I decided to pass on the opportunity.

I am not anti-museum. Years ago I thoroughly enjoyed the Smithsonian's air and space museum in Washington D.C., but I was probably the only person in my group who understood the significance of what we saw. And I had pictures after I returned home.

Direct driver
United States of America

Post by Direct driver » 16 Jan 2020 16:33

They need to change the name to the "pop(ular) music" museum or it will die in the same way that a "big band" museum would die - or at least fade into obscurity like the Bluegrass museum here in Kentucky.

Othne3l7
United States of America

Post by Othne3l7 » 17 Jan 2020 02:40

Its not really anything but PC. ROCK AND ROLL! But they dont get it

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 17 Jan 2020 03:49

To paraphrase another writer..."what part of Rock and Roll don't they understand". A great article Tinkeroo, sums up the issue very well, and likewise the stifling over attention to PC in our culture. Maintain the integrity of the concept, and if someone's delicate sensibilities are hurt...create a more accurate and appropriate Popular Music Hall of Fame. As it is, it is worse than a farce, it has become a lie. And we were all taught that is wrong to do! [-X

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Jan 2020 06:33

There is actually a podcast where the merits of the different inductees get debated...They actually talked about this year's honorees...

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/who-ca ... oplay=true#/

Ummm...I really, REALLY love Whitney Houston, but when the Rock Hall puts her in and there are artists like The Bangles, The Go-Go's and Pat Benatar waiting to get in, as well as Whitney's inspiration, Chaka Khan, I mean...COME ON! :?

I do see Depeche Mode, but no Human League or Tears For Fears yet???

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/rock-and ... man-league
http://www.notinhalloffame.com/rock-and ... -for-fears

Hmmmm... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Jan 2020 03:17

And to top it all off...

The fact that THESE WOMEN are not in the Rock Hall shows just what a FARCE it really is! [-X

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/15/79671797 ... ket-newtab

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 Jan 2020 10:48

vinyl master wrote:
18 Jan 2020 03:17
And to top it all off...

The fact that THESE WOMEN are not in the Rock Hall shows just what a FARCE it really is! [-X

Surely you can't be serious? #-o

They could probably make a case for a few of those, but many are really stretching the definition of Rock and Roll.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Jan 2020 14:45

Tinkaroo wrote:
18 Jan 2020 10:48
vinyl master wrote:
18 Jan 2020 03:17
And to top it all off...

Surely you can't be serious? #-o

They could probably make a case for a few of those, but many are really stretching the definition of Rock and Roll.
OK, Tink...Fair enough! Not ALL of those women should be there, but I will AT LEAST make a case for my aforementioned Pat Benatar ("Hell Is For Children", "Shadows Of The Night", "Promises In The Dark", "Heartbreaker", etc.), Go-Go's ("We Got The Beat") and Bangles ("Walking Down Your Street", "Going Down To Liverpool"), and I could probably also make a good case for at least Janis Martin ("My Boy Elvis"), Connie Francis ("Stupid Cupid", "Everybody's Somebody's Fool"), Carole King as a solo artist (The whole "Tapestry" album, plus "Music", "Writer", etc.), Karen Carpenter ("Goodbye To Love", "Top Of The World"), Carly Simon ("Anticipation", "You're So Vain"), The Runaways ("Cherry Bomb"), Annie Lennox & The Eurythmics ("Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This", "Here Comes The Rain Again") and Cyndi Lauper ("Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "Time After Time")...I will add that Culture Club should also be in there..."Karma Chameleon", "Time (Clock Of The Heart)", "Do You Really Wanna Hurt Me?", "I'll Tumble 4 Ya" and "Miss Me Blind" were huge hits! And in the era of the 80's, for which I was very much present for, no one stood out among the pack of rock and pop acts as much as Boy George...

But of course, being a friendly discussion here, your opinions may differ... 8-[

I will also say that there are plenty of women with far more grit and gravel in their voices (aka Lynn Carey of Mama Lion, Jenny Haan of English band Babe Ruth ("The Mexican") and Genya Ravan of Ten Wheel Drive), but their contributions are probably not substantial enough to get a nod...If you went on the basis of their voices purely and not on the popularity contest that is, they'd be shoo-ins, though...

And by the way, Tink...Don't call me Shirley!! :lol:

Hey, I saw that movie, too! :wink:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 Jan 2020 16:28

Rock and roll is a vicious game.

I agree that some of the women you mention deserve to be there, and women don't get a lot of credit for their contributions to this genre of music.

I am a big fan of The Carpenters, but I wouldn't classify much of what they did as Rock and Roll.

Dr_Wu
United States of America

Post by Dr_Wu » 19 Jan 2020 19:03

Whitney Houston -- Yes
Rap -- Yes
Prog Rock (with few exceptions) -- No

HOF -- Stupid

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 19 Jan 2020 19:59

I sense we may need more popcorn with this one...
Whitney Houston...no way
Rap .......also no way
Progressive rock....um, Progressive.ROCK...what are you missing there. This is the point of the discussion...Rock and Roll Music Hall of Fame.....again, some of these styles require their own Hall of Fame, based on contributions to the genre...not riding the coat tails of an existing genre, that has only become watered down and non-relevant. Maybe the contemporay hall of fame should be created. Then there would be none of these school yard rock throwing contests. Apples and oranges people, apples and oranges. And you shouldn't get a star just for showing up. Meaningful contributions to the genre....only. More substance, less filler. Done...nailed it Tinkeroo! :roll:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Jan 2020 02:21

So, interesting stats here...Whitney gets a nod (and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Whitney!), but then again I get why she is in there, even if I might not necessarily agree she would be considered a "rock" artist...People like Ariana Grande, Pink!, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige and plenty of others can point to Whitney as a major inspiration and influence...But keep these facts in mind...Celine isn't in there...Neither is Patti LaBelle...and LaBelle should get a shot for just "Lady Marmalade" alone or those spacey disco outfits they wore! Also, Mariah Carey is not in there...Yet, Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight are in The Rock Hall...Dionne Warwick, however is not, but one could question whether she's a bit more pop than rock or soul...Of course, my favorites The 5th Dimension are not in there, either...My other favorite group Earth Wind & Fire IS, though...Michael Jackson is in there TWICE, as a member of The Jackson 5 and as a solo artist, but Lionel Richie can't get a nod either solo or with The Commodores??? Or his sister Janet, for that matter ("Black Cat" alone would get my vote!)...Seriously??? :?

Maybe R&B artists don't merit inclusion, but that didn't stop the Hall from inducting tons of R&B artists like Solomon Burke, Ray Charles, Clyde McPhatter, The Isley Brothers, Big Joe Turner and many more in the first decade of it's existence...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-the-r ... et-jackson

Well, if that is the case, I'm gonna make an argument for the likes of Wynonie Harris, who penned what might be the most seminal "rock" song, "GOOD ROCKIN' TONIGHT"! I'm gonna mention Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup, who penned Elvis' first hit, "That's All Right Mama"...I'm also gonna mention Ivory Joe Hunter ("I Almost Lost My Mind", "Since I Met You Baby"), Amos Milburn ("One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer") and Percy Mayfield ("Please Send Me Someone To Love")...Please keep in mind that Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Louis Jordan, Ruth Brown, Etta James, Lloyd Price and B.B. King are ALREADY in the Rock Hall...

Plus, Sister Rosetta Tharpe recently got in last year and deservedly so! =D>

And to top it all off, The Coasters, The Drifters and The Platters are already in, but not a single mention of The Clovers, despite them having a string of hits like "Devil Or Angel" (covered by Bobby Vee), "One Mint Julep" (covered by Ray Charles), "Love Potion No. 9" (covered by The Searchers) and "Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash" (covered by Steve Miller)...Very influential, if you ask me! :?

Does it make sense??? No...

Should it make sense??? Maybe, but I think it'll probably never happen, sadly... :(

Dr_Wu
United States of America

Post by Dr_Wu » 28 Jan 2020 01:49

Dr_Wu wrote:
19 Jan 2020 19:03
Whitney Houston -- Yes
Rap -- Yes
Prog Rock (with few exceptions) -- No

HOF -- Stupid
Didn't think that calling the HOF stupid for those decisions would require a sarcasm warning.

Othne3l7
United States of America

Post by Othne3l7 » 07 Feb 2020 04:28

A joke. But it is a private org. They are swayed by the industry and pol correctness. Toatl crap