3" 16rpm Beatles repressing?

name that tune
scrapjack+

3" 16rpm Beatles repressing?

Post by scrapjack+ » 11 Jan 2020 19:43

I saw a listing on Ebay that gave some long history lesson on Beatles rerecordings as a description, sadly I apparently didn't save the listing. The interesting part was that it claimed to be selling a new repressing of Please Please Me at 16RPM which seems absurd since as far as I know 4 speed tables pretty much went extinct along with big cabinet console record players at the end of the 60's*, so few people would be able to play this repressing. I thought they may simply be confusing playback speed and recording speed, half speed masters and such, although the history lesson would imply they know something about record making, or are just savvy with cut and paste. However, I then see they listed the record diameter as 3 inches. I can't see that as being a usable record at anything faster than 16rpm, maybe needing to be slowed down to the 8RPM like those records for the blind. I know there were 2 inch records in Japan, but I don't remember what RPM they ran at. The best part, such a bizarre record for my collection, from a band I like even, would only cost $24. If only I could trust the seller to have any clue what they were typing about.

Maybe it does exist though. Perhaps I'm the one who doesn't know what they're typing about. Have any of you heard of modern repressings at 16rpm on 3 inch vinyl records? I know 16.6RPM was all over the place with hole diameters and outer diameters, and a general lack of standardization. I'm sure the groove spacing varied as well, but I was wondering what the longest play time per inch diameter for a non Chrysler highway hifi record was. Wiki says Please Please Me runs 32 minutes 15 seconds long. I am wondering if it would even be possible to fit the album on a 3 inch record.

*PS: If you do know of a quartz lock, 4 speed, non idler drive table roughly equivalent to my Technics SL-Q2, I'm very interested. I have a few extra modern tone arms if that's all it takes. I'm fairly certain this doesn't exist though as I've asked before, but maybe someone new knows.

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: 3" 16rpm Beatles repressing?

Post by Pauw » 11 Jan 2020 21:13

I have yet to see a 16rpm Beatles record in 50 years plus. The nearest has been the "pocket" 45 issues from the states which were 5 inch records. I don't feel that 16 rpm records of The Beatles were issued in their time or much later but these may be a custom novelty such as the US Capitol 78s on coloured vinyl that were made by some board pressing plant employees to pass the time away or some fan issue of some kind.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 13 Jan 2020 21:13

A new record player which can play 16 2/3 RPM won’t be all that common however I would guess that these folks: https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ can supply you with one. They commonly sell Technics machines modified to play 78s. It would be no more difficult to make them play 16 2/3.

If you do secure this record do try to find out what the proper stylus size is. Chrysler Highway Hi Fi was 0.5 mil while the talking books were the standard 1 mil.

Phil
scrapjack+ wrote:
11 Jan 2020 19:43
I saw a listing on Ebay that gave some long history lesson on Beatles rerecordings as a description, sadly I apparently didn't save the listing. The interesting part was that it claimed to be selling a new repressing of Please Please Me at 16RPM which seems absurd since as far as I know 4 speed tables pretty much went extinct along with big cabinet console record players at the end of the 60's*, so few people would be able to play this repressing. I thought they may simply be confusing playback speed and recording speed, half speed masters and such, although the history lesson would imply they know something about record making, or are just savvy with cut and paste. However, I then see they listed the record diameter as 3 inches. I can't see that as being a usable record at anything faster than 16rpm, maybe needing to be slowed down to the 8RPM like those records for the blind. I know there were 2 inch records in Japan, but I don't remember what RPM they ran at. The best part, such a bizarre record for my collection, from a band I like even, would only cost $24. If only I could trust the seller to have any clue what they were typing about.

Maybe it does exist though. Perhaps I'm the one who doesn't know what they're typing about. Have any of you heard of modern repressings at 16rpm on 3 inch vinyl records? I know 16.6RPM was all over the place with hole diameters and outer diameters, and a general lack of standardization. I'm sure the groove spacing varied as well, but I was wondering what the longest play time per inch diameter for a non Chrysler highway hifi record was. Wiki says Please Please Me runs 32 minutes 15 seconds long. I am wondering if it would even be possible to fit the album on a 3 inch record.

*PS: If you do know of a quartz lock, 4 speed, non idler drive table roughly equivalent to my Technics SL-Q2, I'm very interested. I have a few extra modern tone arms if that's all it takes. I'm fairly certain this doesn't exist though as I've asked before, but maybe someone new knows.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 13 Jan 2020 21:25

scrapjack+ wrote:
11 Jan 2020 19:43

I don't think a new one does exist. But some of the S-arm DJ turntables out there (Stanton, etc.) let you adjust the pitch for a given speed up to + - 50 %. So it would be a matter of playing at 33 1/3 and adjusting it down 50 %. Some of them are direct drive and quartz lock, though still maybe not with w & f specs as low as a Technics.

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 18 Jan 2020 03:22

Coffee Phil wrote:
13 Jan 2020 21:13
A new record player which can play 16 2/3 RPM won’t be all that common however I would guess that these folks: https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ can supply you with one. They commonly sell Technics machines modified to play 78s. It would be no more difficult to make them play 16 2/3.

If you do secure this record do try to find out what the proper stylus size is. Chrysler Highway Hi Fi was 0.5 mil while the talking books were the standard 1 mil.

Phil
Thanks for the link. The last company I contacted who modified tables said they couldn't do anything to a quartz lock table. I'll ask Kab if they can turn my Technics into a 4 speed. I shall play all the records, and then again backwards so I can wish for an infinite universal stylus. :twisted:

I found the eBay listing again. They also list the release year as 1900, and the language as Arabic. I don't think they know how eBay works. I'm not convinced they won't just send a cd, and doubt they will respond to a message. It is eBay item number:254435955136 if you want to order one and see what you get. I knew a Beatles collector who had a rip of the Beatles singing a few tracks in German on their playlist, but I don't think they tried Arabic. Seems like allot of red flags to me. I think my money would be better spent on one or two of those bootlegs from that performance they did before they got famous.