Led Zeppelin vinyl reissues too expensive!

name that tune
slobrain
United States of America

Led Zeppelin vinyl reissues too expensive!

Post by slobrain » 14 Oct 2019 19:31

Recently I have been looking to replace my old song remains the same with a 2014 reissue and after looking at the prices I am in shock...

Somehow the prices have went really hi especially on Amazon. Paying $24.99 is bad enough for most albums but $77.00 and up to $500.00 is absolutely nuts for any album.

I grew up as a teen in the awesome 70s so I paid around $4.99 to $6.99 an album back then and got sale prices of $2.99 at the local music stores. To me those were great prices but yes, like everything else today In an Agent Smith voice (Price increases are inevitable Mr Anderson...) 8-/

So my question is.... why did the some new Led Zeppelin album prices go so hi?

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Led Zeppelin vinyl reissues too expensive!

Post by Pauw » 14 Oct 2019 20:42

Not sure where those prices came from.....Zep reissues are still available in Europe and the last straight non-embellished one I bought a few months back was 19 Euros......in a normal retail shop.

slobrain
United States of America

Post by slobrain » 15 Oct 2019 15:02

Well, I seen the prices for the new pressing Song remains the same LP on Amazon for $77.99 on up. Amazon prices vary so some stuff is overblown in price there. I see a lot of the used LZ vinyl on eBay cheap but was wanting the 2014 reissue of the Song remains the same. Even on eBay the new pressings of the song remains the same is priced hi. Maybe its just that one But I have also seen their first album reissue hi as well.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 15 Oct 2019 16:33

e-bay is an auction site....they sell the item to the highest bidder hence prices can get high.

vinylontubes

Post by vinylontubes » 15 Oct 2019 17:57

Let's start with discussing that there is no 2014 remaster of The Song Remains the Same. The Jimmy Page supervised remasters in 2014 didn't include this album. Probably because there TSRMS had been previously released as an expanded edition in 2008 and a vinyl set was included. TSRTS was however re-released in 2018 for the bands 50th Anniversary with a variation of the 2008 release. On the 2018 release, the songs are the same expanded set, but, the full edit of Dazed and Confused is on a single side rather than being Split between 2 sides. The 2018 is regarded as deluxe version as it included a booklet, whereas the 2008 was just new vinyl. There are multiple version of the 2008 including a super-deluxe version which not only includes a vinyl set, it also includes CDs, and DVDs. The price disparity is probably indicative of the different configurations. The oddest thing about the Super Deluxe version is that there is no configuration with Blu-Ray. Even weirder is that movie wasn't included in the Blu-Ray edition, just the music. Footage of the expanded songs not seen in the movie were included. I imagine the Movie wasn't Led Zeppelin doesn't actually own the Movie or its copyrights. The film studio owns the Movie. There are super-deluxe version of all the 2014 remasters. These were sold for around $175 and included CDs and hardbound books. I just checked Amazon, and they currently have the pricing screwed up. They have the 4 LP set priced higher than it should be. It's priced as though it were the Super-Deluxe version with the CDs and DVDs. I bought 2018 4 LP for about $125 when it was first released. The current difference in pricing is about $4 between the Deluxe Vinyl and the Super-Deluxe multi-media boxes. This isn't right. The retail pricing of the vinyl only set is $150 and it can actually be found for a lot less than this. It probably didn't sell all that well. If you bought the 2008 version for $50, it's a hard sell except for the die-hards to pick up another set with the same song for $150.

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 16 Oct 2019 20:02

slobrain wrote:
14 Oct 2019 19:31
Recently I have been looking to replace my old song remains the same with a 2014 reissue and after looking at the prices I am in shock...

Somehow the prices have went really hi especially on Amazon. Paying $24.99 is bad enough for most albums but $77.00 and up to $500.00 is absolutely nuts for any album.

I grew up as a teen in the awesome 70s so I paid around $4.99 to $6.99 an album back then and got sale prices of $2.99 at the local music stores. To me those were great prices but yes, like everything else today In an Agent Smith voice (Price increases are inevitable Mr Anderson...) 8-/

So my question is.... why did the some new Led Zeppelin album prices go so hi?
I understand your point and Im with you.

However, in the particular case of the soundtrack of the film The Song Remains the Same it includes 4 LP records so $77/4 = $19.25.
Yes, $77 is a lot of money for me, so no, I would not spend that kind of money.
However, $19 is about standard price for a new press, I guess.

Now, $19 for a new LP for me it is absolutely not worth it specially because I already have that film in DVD, I have it on blu ray (blu ray was gift given to me), I have the 2 CD (another gift I was given at a different time) and Im sure I have that film in VHS, it must be somewhere. No point for me... Yes, new pressings are too expensive for me and rarely worth it.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 16 Oct 2019 20:06

Normal reissues are little more than 20 eur in Europe, but cannot say about the sound quality, because I don`t own any. Then you have some special reissues, like LP box or "audiophile" grade 200g vinyl.

slobrain
United States of America

Post by slobrain » 18 Oct 2019 17:45

Thanks for the really good info folks, it helps to understand the different reasons of cost for the different package sets.

I did want to ask which is the best remaster of TSRTS 2008 or 2018? Also since the vinyl is so expensive I might consider just getting the CDs. Has anyone here listened to the CDs of TSRTS? if so do they sound good or sterile?

I was considering just recording my old TSRTS albums from the early 80s to my pc and doing a clean up of the pops and clicks using Audacity, then burning to CD-R. I used to do that alot back around 2007 but not so much in recent years. The main reason for wanting any type of reissue is the technology possibly helps to make the recording better depending on who is doing those remasters. Bob Ludwig if were lucky...lol

On another note, I bought replacement LPs for my Pink Floyd Animals and Wish you were here a while back and these remasters on vinyl I felt sounded much better than my older pressings from the early 80s. I think PF were behind doing the remasters so that's probably why they sound so good.

slobrain
United States of America

Post by slobrain » 18 Oct 2019 17:57

Ive been buying records since 1975, the one thing that bugs me about vinyl is that Ive I noticed that different years of the same album pressing sounds different. I have a late 70s pressing of LZ4 and it lacks bass when compared to my very early 70s pressing of LZ3. Its hit or miss sometimes which stinks when buying vinyl. I guess it all comes down to who did the mastering and what company did the pressing

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 18 Oct 2019 19:18

slobrain wrote:
18 Oct 2019 17:57
Ive been buying records since 1975, the one thing that bugs me about vinyl is that Ive I noticed that different years of the same album pressing sounds different. I have a late 70s pressing of LZ4 and it lacks bass when compared to my very early 70s pressing of LZ3. Its hit or miss sometimes which stinks when buying vinyl. I guess it all comes down to who did the mastering and what company did the pressing
Jimmy Page also noticed this and spent a lot of time trying to make sure that LZ issues were as good as possible....at times, he stepped in himself to do the job. :D

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 18 Oct 2019 20:05

Get the CD's instead :D

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 18 Oct 2019 21:44

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
18 Oct 2019 20:05
Good idea! :D

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 18 Oct 2019 22:43

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
18 Oct 2019 20:05
Japanese version would be the best. If you ask some seller even on the web for a japanese CD, many will say it is available, but not for less than 20-25 eur. But you can find also second-hand ones in VG+.

slobrain
United States of America

Post by slobrain » 21 Oct 2019 19:28

Well I fired up Audacity and also using clickrepair I recorded my old TSRTS LP and here is what I found, very compressed due to it being from a film. So it does sound ok, not good like my other recordings from vinyl to PC. Its got a dated sound in my opinion. If they recorded it another way and used that it might actually sound good. I guess I'll dig out my How the west was won and listen to it since not hearing it for years.
The one thing I can say about TSRTS is the songs are too stretched out and just gets too boring.
Cheers