Song Of The Day

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Song Of The Day

Post by vinyl master » 09 Oct 2019 04:41

Hey guys...I thought I would start something new...I was reading a few threads that our own mysticfred posted in 2011 regarding a "Song Of The Week"...And I've also noticed how Jarrett over at Vinyl E***z on YouTube always has a "Song Of The Day" posted to all of his videos...I thought that was a cool idea (and I hope neither of them mind too much), so I was thinking that maybe we could start a thread where when we log in to VE each day (or whenever we log in), we could all post a "Song Of The Day" ourselves, maybe one that is on our mind that day or one we want others to hear or discover...It could be any song from any genre on any format from any year by any artist or group, and maybe include a link to that song like we do on The Chain Game...It could even be a random song or something that has meaning to you...If you want, you could add a little backstory as to why that song is so meaningful to you, if you like...Plus, doing only ONE each day (per person) gets us to think carefully about our choices...I dunno...I just thought it could be fun to see what everyone's responses are and find out a little more about their musical tastes...So, without further ado, I will start this with the ONE song that ALWAYS gets me in the healing frame of mind... It just moves along at a pace that is good for the heart and a great stress reliever...Very spiritual and inspirational lyrics...It exemplifies the healing power of music, too! There is a reason that "Poetic Champions Compose" is my favorite album of all-time and this mellow tune from Van The Man is partly why! 8)

1. Van Morrison - Did Ye Get Healed?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Song Of The Day

Post by vinyl master » 09 Oct 2019 16:22

OK, then, I'll keep things going...Today's song is one that reminds me of how much life has changed in the past 30-40 years...Those who were once on top may find themselves at the bottom now...Progress keeps moving on, if you can call it that, but it leaves a lot of folks "left behind" in the dust, as it were, and I think Bonnie's song here speaks for many of those people...Take it away, Bonnie! :D

2. Bonnie Raitt - Used To Rule The World

So, guys, what say you? Got a "Song Of The Day" to add? :-k

I'll try to post one a day as often as I can and share my wealth of knowledge on the subject of music at the same time, all while having a little fun...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 09 Oct 2019 18:09

This was playing in my head as soon as I started the day. Not so much my cup of tea, but anyway...
"I am the freaky dynamite"

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Oct 2019 07:24

Nice one, Bob! Now, for my next selection, if you want to understand reggae music at all, I dare you to find a better starting point than this song right here...

3. Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come

If there is any message that rings more true in this day and age, I've yet to hear it...An inspirational ode to keep going despite the struggle, too...I've also heard that pride comes before a fall...Well, if this is true, there will be some out there whose fall will be QUITE hard...This is life, but remember...It's not how hard you fall, but how many times you dust yourself off and get back up again...

To be honest, it was a toss-up between that one and this one, but there are similar themes in both of them... :)

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 10 Oct 2019 22:28

Rose Room by Benny Goodman. I was playing the 1989 Capitol CD of B.G. In Hi-Fi yesterday afternoon and this track struck me especially for the ultra present sound of B.G's clarinet and the whole track really. 1954 mono sound at it's best. Not really going to be so well conveyed through YouTube compression, but what the hell, it's a nice tune too. You can probably get the CD (not the one pictured) for a buck or two.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Oct 2019 05:42

Actually "Swing Into Spring" is my B.G. Jam, Bob! :wink:

And with this cold, wintry blast coming over the weekend, I can't swing into it fast enough! :(

But, still, a very nice selection on your part! :D

And since tomorrow is today, I might as well post my next "song of the day" and this one was introduced to me by my vinyl mentor...In the song "Beautiful Boy", John Lennon once remarked that "life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." And when you make those plans, even the best-laid ones can go awry, and this song by Styx off their underrated "Paradise Theatre" album explains this in further detail...

4. Styx - Nothing Ever Goes As Planned

Shed man
long player
long player
England

Post by Shed man » 11 Oct 2019 07:40

I woke up with the Beatles "Getting better" from Sgt Pepper in my head this morning.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 11 Oct 2019 18:04

Getting into autumn, there is certain music I always gravitate to this time of year, like Mimi & Richard Farina here... Reflections in a Crystal Wind

Mimi Farina was Joan Baez's sister, BTW.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Oct 2019 10:13

OK, here's one that recently popped up on my radar that totally missed it when it came out...In 1987, Carlos Santana released the "Freedom" album...He was miles from his Woodstock days, but still a few years ahead of a "Supernatural" comeback...That doesn't mean he lost his chops for playing, though...He was experimenting in a smooth jazzy vein and THIS is what came out of those sessions...Pure bliss, if you're a jazz lover (and guitar solo aficionado) like me! :D

Santana - Love Is You

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 12 Oct 2019 19:01

Timber ! Because, ya know, like the lumberjacks of old, in the daily struggles sometimes a tree may fall...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Oct 2019 05:31

OK, guys...I've had this album for awhile, but I recently heard a song that completely floored me...She's known for her sophisticated ballads and for getting down with the funk, but I did not know she could do straight ahead Southern-style soul, too...I'm speaking (in hushed tones, of course) of the one and only CHAKA! And the album I'm referring to is 1974's "Rags To Rufus"...Today's track is Track #3 called "Walkin' In The Sun"...And yes, YOU'RE WELCOME! :D

6. Rufus feat. Chaka Khan - Walkin' In The Sun

How about the rest of you??? Got any "Songs Of The Day" to add? Feel free to post your own favorites right here!! =D>

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 13 Oct 2019 19:13

A few of you might have noted the passing of John Cohen recently. I like this whole CD.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Oct 2019 13:55

Speaking of rabbits, I'm gonna go now with my favorite Rabbitt...Eddie Rabbitt! And this song always reminds me of how much my dad loved classic country music...and loved a good downpour in the summer...

Eddie Rabbitt - I Love A Rainy Night

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 14 Oct 2019 18:05

Bone Machine was the album that made me a Tom Waits fan back when it was released.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 15 Oct 2019 18:04

When it comes to ABBA I prefer the goofy off-kilter charm of their early tunes to the more self-consciously later "adult" efforts, like, say, Summernight City. This is one of my fave ABBA songs.