Tell me about your record collection!

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Tell me about your record collection!

Post by vinyl master » 22 Sep 2019 03:32

I posted these questions on another thread as a way to find out about everyone's record collections...I thought it would be interesting to have a separate thread where everyone could answer them and learn about each other's collections a little bit more...I'm sure I'll have lots of different answers here, but I'm curious as to what your responses will be...

So, here are the questions I want to know...

1. What's your most favorite record of all time? Maybe you have a Top 10 or "desert island 5"? :-k
2. What is your rarest record, maybe in terms of copies pressed?
3. What is your most expensive record?
4. What is your least expensive record?
5. What is your most valuable record, despite what you paid for it?
6. What is the most horrible record you keep for sentimental reasons?
7. Which album do you own in the most formats (LP, 8-track, cassette, CD, digital download, reissue, etc.)?
8. What is your worst-sounding or worst-pressed album?
9. What is your go-to reference album when you want to showcase your system's abilities?
10. What was the hardest album to find that you now own?
11. What album was the biggest surprise you found in a thrift shop? Maybe it was a flea market or a garage sale fiind...
12. What's the one album that is your "guilty pleasure" and/or the one album you would be ashamed to admit you own?
13. What is your favorite "road-trip" album?
14. What is the most scratched up album or 45' you keep, simply because you're afraid you'll never see another copy ever again?
15. What is the oldest record in your collection?
16. What is the most recent pressing?
17. What is your coolest picture disc (45' or LP)?
18. What is the coolest picture sleeve (45 rpm) or coolest/most interesting album cover you own?
19. What is the one album you always have to buy every time you see it so you can pass a copy of it on to friends?
20. What is your holy grail and/or the one album you'd love to personally own, but can't see shelling out the money for?

Let me know your answers below! 8)

I do realize that everyone's answers may change, depending on their mood or the given day, but I'm just looking for general thoughts or TODAY'S answers right now...

Like I said, this could be a fun exercise and a way to get to know what's in everyone's collections a little better! :wink:

Anyone care to take my little "quiz"? :-k 8-[

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Tell me about your record collection!

Post by vinyl master » 22 Sep 2019 04:53

To follow it up, I will answer my own questions to start to the best of my ability...Here goes! :roll:

1. What's your most favorite record of all time? Maybe you have a Top 10 or "desert island 5"? :-k
VAN MORRISON "POETIC CHAMPIONS COMPOSE"
THE WONDERS' PROMOTIONAL 45' (W/ PICTURE SLEEVE) FOR "THAT THING YOU DO" ON THE PLAY-TONE LABEL, GIVEN OUT TO THOSE WHO PRE-SCREENED THE FILM, I BELIEVE...NOT MANY WERE MADE, IIRC...IT COULD BE A DIFFERENT RECORD, BUT I'M GOING WITH THAT ONE NOW...
I USUALLY DON'T PAY MORE THAN $40 OR SO FOR A RECORD, IF THAT, BUT I'LL PROBABLY SAY IT WAS A PROMO JAPANESE COPY OF MARC JORDAN'S RARE "HOLE IN THE WALL" ALBUM WITH THE OBI STRIP...EITHER THAT OR AN ORIGINAL RED VINYL COPY OF THE WHITE STRIPES' "LET'S SHAKE HANDS" ON THE ITALY RECORDS LABEL...I PAID MUCH LESS FOR THAT ONE, BUT I KNOW IT'S WORTH A BIT NOW...
IT WOULD PROBABLY HAVE TO BE EITHER A.) A PROMO FREEBIE THAT MY RECORD STORE CLERK, SCOTTY, THREW IN MY BAG, ONCE IN A WHILE OR A 45' IN A BIG BOX OF 45'S THAT I ONLY PAID $10 FOR THE WHOLE SHEBANG FOR AT A FLEA MARKET ONCE...
PROBABLY A COPY OF A HANK BALLARD & THE MIDNIGHTERS EP I BOUGHT UP NORTH...I ONLY PAID $5.00 FOR IT...THE VINYL IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND IT HAS THE ORIGINAL CARDBOARD PICTURE SLEEVE...I MIGHT BE WRONG, THOUGH...IT COULD BE A BIG BILL BROONZY 78' OR THAT WHITE STRIPES 45' I ALLUDED TO ABOVE...
THERE ARE QUITE A FEW...IT COULD BE MY 45'S OF "I'M HENRY VIII I AM" BY HERMAN'S HERMITS OR "THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY, HA-HAA" BY NAPOLEON XIV, ONLY BECAUSE THEY DROVE MY MOM NUTS WHEN I PLAYED THEM...THERE ARE SOME REAL DOOZIES, THOUGH, THAT I'M SURPRISED EVER GOT MADE...SONNY BONO'S "INNER VIEWS", ANYONE? "THE WORLD'S WORST RECORDS" IS A GOOD COMP, TOO!
7. Which album do you own in the most formats (LP, 8-track, cassette, CD, digital download, reissue, etc.)?
I'LL HAVE TO SAY MAYBE THE 5TH DIMENSION'S "GREATEST HITS ON EARTH", SINCE I HAVE THE CASSETTE AND THE 8-TRACK, AS WELL AS THE OTHER FORMATS!
THAT'S A TOUGH ONE, BECAUSE I'M STILL ABLE TO GET SOME ENJOYMENT OUT OF THOSE ALBUMS WITH A GOOD CONICAL STYLUS, EVEN IF THEY'RE IN ROUGH SHAPE...I'LL HAVE TO LISTEN MORE AND GET BACK TO YOU GUYS ON THAT ONE...
9. What is your go-to reference album when you want to showcase your system's abilities?
RIGHT NOW, IT'S PROBABLY RUMER'S BACHARACH & DAVID SONGBOOK LP FROM 2016...
LET ME GET BACK TO YOU...I'LL HAVE TO THINK ON THAT...
11. What album was the biggest surprise you found in a thrift shop? Maybe it was a flea market or a garage sale find...
BESIDES MY RECENT FIND OF A CHARME LP, FEATURING LUTHER VANDROSS, MAYBE IT WAS A COPY OF SRC'S DEBUT PSYCH LP AT A GARAGE SALE OR ONE OF CASEY KASEM'S "AMERICAN TOP 40" SHOWS ON VINYL AT A THRIFT STORE DOWN SOUTH...
12. What's the one album that is your "guilty pleasure" and/or the one album you would be ashamed to admit you own?
I'M NOT REALLY ASHAMED TO OWN THEM, BECAUSE EVEN THE BAD ONES ARE LIKE A BADGE OF HONOR, BUT I'M SURE I CAN THINK OF A FEW...GIVE ME TIME...
I LIKE CHRIS REA'S "BEST OF" CD FROM 1994 ON THE EASTWEST LABEL...EITHER THAT OR ONE OF MY OLD HOMEMADE MIXTAPES...
14. What is the most scratched up album or 45' you keep, simply because you're afraid you'll never see another copy ever again?
MY GUESS IS THAT IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING FROM SCREAMIN' JAY HAWKINS ON THE OKEH LABEL, BUT I COULD BE WRONG...
IT WAS A COPY OF BESSIE SMITH'S 78' "OH DADDY BLUES" ON THE COLUMBIA LABEL FROM 1923, BUT I NOW HAVE AN EDISON "BLUE AMBEROL" CYLINDER OF THE METROPOLITAN QUARTET DOING "MY HULA HULA LOVE" FROM 1912, EVEN THOUGH THE BACK SAYS "PATENTED IN THE UNITED STATES, JULY 12, 1910"!
I'M GONNA GO WITH THE ANNIVERSARY EDITION 45' OF SUGAR RAY'S "FLY" FROM RSD 2018...I WENT TO RSD THIS YEAR AT MELODIES & MEMORIES, BUT I MOSTLY BOUGHT USED DISCS AND DOLLAR BIN STUFF...
I'M NOT AS INTO PICTURE DISCS, BUT IT MIGHT BE A VOGUE DISC OF "THE WHIFFENPOOF SONG" OR SOMETHING FROM PRINCE...I MAY HAVE TO AMEND THIS UPON FURTHER THOUGHT, THOUGH...
18. What is the coolest picture sleeve (45 rpm) or coolest/most interesting album cover you own?
ONE OF MY FAVORITE PICTURE SLEEVES IS THE ONE FOR "BLUE GUITAR" FROM JUSTIN HAYWARD & JOHN LODGE...
19. What is the one album you always have to buy every time you see it so you can pass a copy of it on to friends?
LONNIE LISTON SMITH & THE COSMIC ECHOES' "EXPANSIONS" ON THE FLYING DUTCHMAN LABEL...THAT, OR ANY OF THE 5TH DIMENSION ALBUMS...
20. What is your holy grail and/or the one album you'd love to personally own, but can't see shelling out the money for?
AT THE MOMENT, IT MIGHT BE EITHER DARA SEDAKA'S 'I'M YOUR GIRL FRIEND" LP ONLY ISSUED IN JAPAN, THE ORIGINAL SUNDOWNERS' "CAPTAIN NEMO" OR THE 45' FOR THE 5TH DIMENSION'S "I'LL BE LOVIN' YOU FOREVER/TRAIN, KEEP ON MOVIN'' ON THE SOUL CITY LABEL, BUT IT JUST AS WELL COULD BE SOMETHING ELSE...IN FACT, IT PROBABLY IS! 8-[

I'll also add one more...

21. What is your favorite colored vinyl 45' or LP?
I LIKE MY COMPLETE SET OF BEATLES 45'S ON CAPITOL FROM THE 90'S OR POSSIBLY THE BEACH BOYS' "20 GOLDEN GREATS" ON DEEP BLUE VINYL...BLUE VINYL IS DEFINITELY A FAVORITE, BUT MY ANSWER MY CHANGE WITH THE GIVEN DAY...

OK, guys...Now, it's your turn to put those thinking caps on! What say you??? :-k =D>

Oh, and if you can think of any questions I've missed, let me know...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 22 Sep 2019 16:52

Some of these are difficult to answer, but I will answer what I can.

1. What's your most favorite record of all time?
-Year of The Cat-Al Stewart

-Mono Box Set-The Beatles-I got it on sale and recently the prices have gone up reflecting it's limited edition status.

-Same as item 2, but I haven't gone through my entire collection, and don't think of my records in terms of market value. To me that isn't important.

-I'm not sure,but based on desirability perhaps some disco or French language record.

-I don't look at my records in terms of value to others.

-I'll have to come back to this one since it requires some thought.

-I own quite a few in vinyl or CD, but none that I can think of in those plus cassette.I also don't own any eight tracks anymore.

-I did have a copy of Al Stewart's Time Passages that had lots of crackles even though it looks pristine(poorly pressed?). Thankfully I recently found a good copy for 85 cents. =D>

-I would probably choose Between The Lines-Janis Ian, or something by Alan Parsons such as I Robot or Turn of a Friendly Card.

-B.J. Thomas-Sings For Lovers and Losers is one.

11. What album was the biggest surprise you found in a thrift shop? Maybe it was a flea market or a garage sale find...
-I'll have to think on this one.

-I would say none, since I don't care what others think of my music. Music is a personal thing.

-Days of Future Past-Moody Blues

-I'll have to think on that awhile.

-I'm sure I have a couple from the late 50's, perhaps one by Johnny Mathis?

-Probably Rumer-Bacharach Songbook, or one by Jim Cuddy.

-I don't own any picture discs. A few colored vinyl, a couple of laser etched, but no picture discs.

-I do have some acetate type discs of hockey tips from the mid 1960s featuring some Toronto Maple Leafs stars such as Dave Keon one of my favorite players.

-If only our friends would appreciate it as much as we do! #-o

-I can't think of anything at the moment, perhaps a box set of one of my favorite groups.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 22 Sep 2019 20:12

Most of these questions would require a bit of research, and exploration of my often seldom replayed , yet still growing lifetimes collection to best answer most accurately. I'll try to answer them the best I can anyway.

There have been so many sons I liked over the years, I can't even think of one that truly stands out at the moment.

My best guess would be either my only brown wax cylinder, Si Tu Savais, Ma Chere by Yvette Guilbert, as brown wax is usually early, or 1 off recordings. A late high numbered 4 minute Blue Amberol #5495 by Vernon Dalhart, "A Memory That Time Cannot Erase", or one of my other 5000 series could be a close second, as I've heard very few cylinders were made in the later days of the Edison company.

It was between Harry McClintock's Big Rock Candy Mountains from 1929 on Victor, or one of those 5000 block Vernon Dalhart cylinders. I'll just say I never paid or bid over $100 on anything :oops:

Probally any one of many of the free, or low priced boxes of records over the years., maybe a still sealed copy of "Yoga, Youth, And You" from last free box, I doubt the store could even pay someone to take that one without hiding it. :?

Of the few I've filed on Discogs so far, Joab Baez's Diamonds And Rust In Ihe Bullring was the highest on their list.

Maybe, a copy of Beautiful Ohio my great grandmother played repeatedly until the day she died. While I enjoy the song and found a better copy, this one was worn to the point it was barely audible and skipped, my grandmother told me all about it, knew it by heart, and never could stand to listen to much of any music in her old age.

7. Which album do you own in the most formats
I've replaced several of my CD's, or cassettes with records, however I only have 2 formats of most. I could say Bob Marley's Legend with 3, as I still have my sisters CD, and recieved a free download with my purchase of a vinyl reissue.

That would take some research, but a badly dished reissue copy of Lou Reed's Transformer comes to mind, very unbalanced sound. After returning one copy to FYE, i tried ordering another copy from Amazon with same results, fortunately it was buget priced and came with a free download. Three or so Bob Marley reissues i bought a few years back left something to be desired in pressing quality too.

9. What is your go-to reference album when you want to showcase your system's abilities? I'm not sure how to answer this one either, but to compare things, I've usually picked albums I know by heart like Joan Baez "Speaking Of Dreams", Black Sabbath "Master Of Reality", Warren Zevon "Excitable Boy", or maybe something like Prokofiev's Lt. Kije Suite, or 1812 Overture for classical. Oldfield's Tubular Bells I discovered not too long back seemed a nice one too.

There's quite a few that took many years to find or discover artist of, but one that took me over 30 years to find, after wearing out my original bought on a trip to CA was a rap album, World Class Wreckin Cru "World Class" . If 30 years isn't enough, Another local Chicago group that my mother was searching for since the late 60s finally turned up online in Tennasee around 2012, The New Wine Singers. After seeing them live back then, of the many record stores in Chicago she tried, only one managed to find her a almost completely worn out copy.

I'm not sure on albums, but I was a bit surprised to find a Johnny Cash Sun 78 for 25 cents IIRC one day

I'm not sure on that one, but a few like the 2 Live Crew do have explicit lyrics that could offend some bystanders if played too loudly.

About anything that keeps me awake and drowns out the road noise, maybe something rock like Master of Reality or Bruce Dickinson's "Tattooed Millionaire" that sounds good turned up, or about anything else I'm in the mood for.

I'll have to check into that one.

Most likely, that Brown wax cylinder in Question, or else one of my early plain edge 2 minute Black wax Edison cylinders like #92, The Star Spangled Banner.

Probally the Bottle Rockets "Bit Logic" I head a couple songs on the radio from last week, and ordered off Amazon Yesterday, at least when it shows up.

I don't know about coolest, but only have 4 to my name, One each by Bob and Ziggy Marley, An Elvis Interview, and a Vogue 78. Maybe a toss up between Bob & Scratch Perry, and Ziggy's Fly Rasta as far as music enjoyment.

I'm undecided on that one at the moment.

-If only our friends would appreciate it as much as we do!
I never really thought about that one, as i seldom got into gifting music, ...until maybe just recently. I have enough trouble trying to decide what i like, and often just bought a friends a gift card instead. I seldom bought a duplicate unless i was looking for a better copy if I could help it.

I'm still wanting to find John Prine's first self titled album, although there are plenty of others I've passed on because the price is too much, several other pricy albums I know of, and especially certain rock titles including some Zeppelin that went missing come to mind.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 23 Sep 2019 04:35

Ran short of time answering these questions earlier and overlooked a few typos. In question 1, sons should be songs. In question 5, Joab should be Joan. In question 15, I intended to say "brown wax cylinder in question 2", hopefully the rest are understandable enough.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Sep 2019 07:35

Very cool, guys! 8) Thanks for responding! =D>

To Tink...

I also like Al Stewart's "Year Of The Cat" and "Time Passages"! Awesome albums and I could also put those in as albums I'd gift to friends...I should clarify on Question 19, you could also note what album you WOULD buy more copies of IF you had some friends to give it to...What album are you always raving about and saying EVERYONE needs to hear this??? Is it cheap enough that you wouldn't mind shelling out a little dough for a second copy? You could also mention any albums you would buy a SECOND or THIRD copy of PERSONALLY FOR YOURSELF, either as a backup, to replace a rough copy of or just because you feel bad for it sitting in the racks unloved... 8-[

On Question 3, it's not so much market value, but what you PERSONALLY paid for a record, and if you have a limit, i.e. I've never paid more than $20 for an album, say, then, note that and maybe the album or one of them, if you can think of it...Don't be ashamed if you've spent a little more for an album...We all have been there at some point, overpaying for something that brought an emotional attachment...

The Moody Blues' "Days Of Future Passed" is a good one! Bettye LaVette does a killer version of "Nights In White Satin", if you ever want to check out a cool version of that..."Days..." is also a favorite of my vinyl mentor!

Those hockey tip discs sound like a lot of fun, Tink...I have an odd 45' that Ted Williams put out, detailing how to be a better baseball player...

When I say "horrible" for Question 6, it could be "horrible" in terms of condition or horrible in terms of content...Maybe it's something that is not your favorite genre, but you keep it because it's signed or it belonged to an important family member or friend and you'd feel guilty parting with it...

Still, solid, honest answers and thanks for sharing! :D

To Big B...

You have some pretty cool cylinders!

By the way, Discogs is pretty good for finding out a record's value, even if you don't think in terms of how much your records are worth...I don't usually either, but say, for insurance purposes, perhaps, someone wanted to know if there were any records of high monetary value...

By the way, I also dig Bob Marley's "Legend"...A true classic! 8)

The "1812 Overture" would be a good one for testing, because you could check for record skips when the cannons start firing! I also dig Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells"!

On the biggest surprises in the thrift shops, I could also note that treasure trove of 45's in boxes that I found at one of my local Salvation Army stores one day...

That was a good haul and it's where I found this early 45' of Michael McDonald...

Regarding the road trip albums, I can also say on a road trip once with my cousin when we went on a long camping trip with my aunt and uncle (They wanted to test out their brand new RV and needed some volunteers to come with them...), she played Juice Newton's "Greatest Hits" and Dr. Hook's "Sloppy Seconds" albums and they were quite fun to listen to at night on those back roads...

I also have that Elvis interview disc, if it is the same one...Fun stuff, for sure! 8)

If you have any more to add, by all means...

And for the rest of you guys, we shouldn't be the only ones having fun and having to don our thinking caps...Put on yours, as I'd love to hear what answers the rest of you can come up with! What have you got to lose??? =D>

Besides, it gets us thinking about our collections in ways we might not have done in quite some time, if ever...It's a good exercise to do that once in a while, you know! :wink:

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 23 Sep 2019 22:17

vinyl master wrote:
22 Sep 2019 03:32
I posted these questions on another thread as a way to find out about everyone's record collections...I thought it would be interesting to have a separate thread where everyone could answer them and learn about each other's collections a little bit more...I'm sure I'll have lots of different answers here, but I'm curious as to what your responses will be...

So, here are the questions I want to know...

11. What album was the biggest surprise you found in a thrift shop? Maybe it was a flea market or a garage sale fiind...

Let me know your answers below! 8)

I do realize that everyone's answers may change, depending on their mood or the given day, but I'm just looking for general thoughts or TODAY'S answers right now...

Like I said, this could be a fun exercise and a way to get to know what's in everyone's collections a little better! :wink:

Anyone care to take my little "quiz"? :-k 8-[
1. Don't have a specific favorite. My choice changes from day to day.
2. All of my Direct to Disc LP's are limited editions and therefore sort of rare.
3. I've never classified LP's by how much they cost. My cheapest was free.
4. See answer number 3.
5. I don't place a monetary value on my LP collection.
6. I don't keep or have "terrible" LP's. If I don't like it what's the point of having it?
7. I don't buy the same thing multiple times regardless of the medium.
8. See my answer to number 6.
9. It depends on the guest. My selection is based solely on what they request.
10. None of my LP's were particularly hard to find. However, I started collecting vinyl in 1967 and have never stopped.
11. I try to stay away from thrift stores and flea markets. In today's market the pickins' are slim. So I don't bother.
12. I have many "guilty pleasure" LP's. It depends on my feelings at the time.
13. I don't do road trips anymore. So, I don't need "road trip" music. I've already been everywhere I've ever wanted to visit.
14. Scratched up vinyl goes in the trash.
15. I bought my first LP in 1967. Some of my LP's date from the middle 50's.
16. Alabama Shakes, Sound & Color is my most recent.
17. Don't have any picture discs.
18. I'm partial to the cover of the 12" DJ single of Sade, Hang On To Your Love.
19. I buy a recording once. I don't see the point of having multiple copies of the same thing. Also, I don't pass on illegal copies of anything.
20. I haven't discovered a "Holy Grail" LP yet.

zwhita

Post by zwhita » 23 Sep 2019 22:53

1. Rush - Moving Pictures
2. Nick 13 [black vinyl]
3. Com Truise - Galactic Melt
4. One of the 80's 7" singles likely
5. Terry Reid - Seed of Memory promo
6. Nothing horrible, don't keep those
7. John Foxx - Metamatic
8. Some recent 180g I'm sure
9. Crime of the Century
10. I don't look that far
11. Uncle Meat
12. Still Life Talking
13. Construction Time Again
14. Theme from Exodus by Ferrante & Teicher
15. E.S.P. by Miles Davis
16. You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters
17. n/a
18. Killers
19. dunno, something by Prince?
20. Classic Records press of Houses of the Holy

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Sep 2019 06:09

Awesome, guys! "Moving Pictures" is probably on a lot of lists and I will vouch for "Crime Of The Century", too..."Breakfast In America" ain't bad, either... 8-[ I also like Sade's covers, Joe...Even the picture sleeves of the 45's are very cool! 8) "Promise" is probably the one where I got into her the most...That and Anita Baker's "Rapture" could also be up there for favorite album...Regarding Question 19, though, Joe, I wasn't specifically talking about downloaded music, but a SECOND COPY of an actual vinyl album that you wouldn't be afraid to shell out a little extra for...It could be an actual tape or a CD, too...I found a bunch of 80's CD's for a friend at the thrift store that were fairly cheap...As a good primer for 80's music, I will recommend the "Living In Oblivion" series of CD's on EMI as a starting point...

By the way, I'm not usually one to assign value to my records, either, but I do look them up on Discogs or EBay from time to time, especially if they're unknown, just to get a general idea if I have something unusual or rare...I've also kept a few old price guides around and wade through them, just for kicks, on occasion...I noted the White Stripes single as being the most valuable, but I also picked up several boxes of Northern Soul, funk, disco & R&B singles a few years back...I've discovered some great music in there and there's a possibility that some of those singles might be worth something to someone...It's just that I haven't really catalogued and studied all of that yet...There may be something in there worth a pretty penny...For me, though, if I'm not enjoying the music in the end, then what's the use??? :?

With that said, I do have several copies of various local 45's on the "GM" and "Bump Shop" labels that may be worth some coin, if I added them all up...

Then, there are all the Free Design vinyl reissues on the Light In The Attic label from around 2003-04 that I'm glad I picked up when I did...I'm pretty sure there was a limited pressing on those IIRC...I'm sure they will retain their value and maybe more...Plus, they are great sounding, too! =D>

As regards thrift shop finds, I did find a promo fold-out poster sleeve for Madonna's "Borderline" just sitting there in the thrift shop one day...I guess it goes for some coin, too, but I was really surprised to jsut see it sitting there, waiting for me... 8-[

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1470067?ev=rb

Other favorite sleeves include Donna Summer's "Try Me...I Know We Can Make It", Janet Jackson's "Young Love" and Teena Marie's "Jammin'"...

In regards to my "holy grail" albums, I should amend that, too...There are several in the Japanese "City Pop" genre that are still on my wish list...Reissues are not the easiest to come by (and someone needs to fix that!), but I'm still actively looking for certain albums on vinyl...I think with some of Light In The Attic's recent Japanese music releases, it's possible that more of these will be made mainstream in the years to come...Chicago DJ Van Paugam has done a lot to increase awareness of the genre and a lot of vaporwave albums have turned people on to the original recordings being sampled...Artists like Tatsuro Yamashita, Mariya Takeuchi, Anri, Toshiki Kadomatsu, Hiroshi Sato, Taeko Ohnuki and Junko Okashi are just a few of the more popular names in that genre worth investigating...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Sep 2019 06:15

In any case, great answers, guys! I'm learning so much about your collections and favorite albums! Some of those I may have to reinvestigate myself, so thank you guys for the recommendations! =D>

Anyone else wanna play??? :-k

Feel free to step right up!! :wink:

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 25 Sep 2019 01:43

Favorite right now is "You Better Believe it" Paul Gayten.
"Im Just a Dread" Jacob Miller
From what I can remember $70 - Free Soul - Jackie Mittoo
Could be alot of them...
"Im Just a Dread" Jacob Miller - sentimental value
Brown Eyes Blue - Crystal Gayle
No dupilcates
Treasure Isle Dub Compilation album - Pressed horribly, tons of noise
I should probably designate one.
Not an album, but a 45 of "A Noisy Place" Paragons
11. What album was the biggest surprise you found in a thrift shop?
"Im Just a Dread" Jacob Miller. A song that was on my Dads 8 track mixtape that I was obsessed with as a kid. Went thumbing in a record shop and it slid out of the shelf and damn near hit me in the head.
12. What's the one album that is your "guilty pleasure" and/or the one album you would be ashamed to admit you own? Bill Cosby albums now.
"Bam Bam to Cherry Oh Baby" Various Artists
Reggae 45 of Barefoot Brigade - Crystallites.
"I like My Babys Puddin" Wynonie Harris (Original 78)
One of the many Jack White Vault albums
Wow, I dont have many, I guess its a Zhane Single "Hey Mr DJ".
Jack White Lazzaretto album package
19. What is the one album you always have to buy every time you see it so you can pass a copy of it on to friends? Im too selfish for that, lol
Havent discovered that yet

Im not even prepared for people to ask me about the collection! I guess that would be more about the equipment.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Sep 2019 03:05

Well, I for one, appreciate your honesty, Drew!

You turned me onto a few things, too...I've only known Paul Gayten for "Nervous Boogie", but it's great discovering more sides from him...I also have a couple of Wynonie Harris' 78's ("All She Wants To Do Is Rock" and "Good Rockin' Tonight"), although "Good Rockin' Tonight" came to me in a million pieces through the mail (I'm still bothered about that one! :( )...I feel you on the Bill Cosby albums, too...Seeing them in the thrift store bothers me now more than it used to and I never thought about it before until the whole scandal erupted...At least, I still have my Moms Mabley LP's! 8-[

That Zhane single is pretty cool, too! 8) I think they did a picture disc for "Request Line", as well...I didn't know you were such a big reggae fan, either, since for some reason, I've always thought of you as a funk/soul guy...You and Big B would have a lot in common! :)

I'll give you a recommendation or two, though...If you dig Paul Gayten and Wynonie Harris, I recommend you check out the music of Slim Gaillard...

Cab Calloway and Louis Jordan are worth exploring, too!

Plus, if you dig some Jackie Mittoo, you would probably dig this compilation on vinyl that Light In The Attic Records put out a few years back...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Jamaica ... ase/860939

You say you weren't prepared for anyone to ask about the collection...But now that you have some interested parties here, you'll have to think about it a little more... :wink: :lol:

But, hey, cool stuff and thanks for sharing! =D>

P.S.: Since I know you DJ, as well...I'll add a few more questions...

1. What is your favorite 12-inch record of all time? Or do you only do 45's?
2. What is your go-to record that ALWAYS gets people dancing, no matter what the mood is in the room or the type of crowd?
3. What record would you say is the most different in terms of the LP version vs. the 45 rpm version or 12-inch version? Sometimes, there are more bells and whistles on one version than on another, so has anything surprised you in that way?

And finally, since I know you dig a well-curated DJ set...4. What was one transition from one song to the next that really surprised you that it worked out so well? Have there ever been any of those transitions that sounded good on paper (or a setlist), but sounded horrible once you actually tried to put the two songs together? Maybe you couldn't align the tracks or beatmatch them properly? #-o

I'd be curious to know about those, too! :-k

cary114
United States of America

Post by cary114 » 25 Sep 2019 04:26

Here you go out of my 64 year old brain.

1. What's your most favorite record of all time? Maybe you have a Top 10 or "desert island 5"?
Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon
That is a tough one since I have not researched all the records in my library. But I believe it could be John White, Strawberry Roan/Whoop Ti-Yi-Yo on the Conqueror Label. It is a 78 recorded and released in 1931.
Just Purchased The Lord Of The Rings -The Return Of The King 6 disc Vinyl.
All the records I have purchased at auctions over the past year that have been bulk consignment.
Ike Quebec Tenor Sax. A 3 record 78 rpm album set. Auction purchase with a Zenith Cobramatic and a stand that was stuffed with 78’s for 25.00 dollars.
Is There such a thing?
Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon
Never really found one yet.
I Don’t have a go to album.
Recently it was Doris Day, Day by Day. Finally bought a copy unfortunately its condition is about good.
Doris Day, Night By Day and Pat Suzuki, Miss Pony Tail
Gee I don’t have that problem.
Depends on my mood at the time.
Never really paid attention to that.
Battle Of Santiago, By The Hayden Quartet on a single sided Victor recording from 1906.
The Lord Of The Rings -The Return Of The King 6 disc Vinyl.
Don’t have one.
I don’t have any that are outstanding.
There are none that fit that category for me.
I always seem to buy what I want it just a matter of time.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Sep 2019 05:03

Cool beans, Cary... 8)

I see that you are also a Doris Day fan...I highly recommend her 1965 "Latin For Lovers" album, if you can find a copy..."Day By Night" is also a fabulous album, since it features Jo Stafford's hubby Paul Weston and His Orchestra...

The "Young Man With A Horn" soundtrack from 1950 is also worth searching out...

Pat Suzuki is also underrated! If you like them, check out Laura Fygi, too...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Sep 2019 07:51

I'm loving these answers, guys! Keep 'em coming!! 8)

Learning about your collections is a lot of fun, at least for me! =D>

I'm gonna add a few more...In regards to favorite album, two more have to be in The Top 10, at least the Top 5...and those two are Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" and Stevie Wonder's "Innervisions"...I might also include them on albums I would give away to friends, although copies are not as cheap and plentiful anymore...Stevie and Marvin were SOOOO right on SOOOO many things on those albums! Time has and if not, WILL prove them true!

I'll also add this...What album, song or songs brings a tear to your eye or gets you emotional every time you hear it? My choices for personal reasons would be these...

And check out the spoken intro on this old favorite! :D

In regards to classical and/or instrumental compositions, these do it for me...

Sublime compositions...Simply sublime!! =D>