Three Chords and The Truth

name that tune
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Three Chords and The Truth

Post by fscl » 19 Sep 2019 03:10

As mentioned here, I’m weak in country, however the latest Ken Burns documentary is helping tremendously to fill in the gaps =D> =D> =D>

Excellent so far

Enjoy

Fred

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Three Chords and The Truth

Post by vinyl master » 19 Sep 2019 09:06

I have not seen the film...Is this another PBS exclusive, Fred? :-k

Sounds like it would be right up my alley, though... :)

Frisbee7

Post by Frisbee7 » 19 Sep 2019 14:19

Showing each evening for this week on PBS.

Veggie Boy
Canada

Post by Veggie Boy » 19 Sep 2019 14:36

Yeah its a PBS eight part series of two hour episodes for sixteen hours total. Three episodes have been broadcast so far. Decent documentary that fills in some of the blanks in my country music knowledge. Favorite parts so far is learning more about the Carter Family and also the revelation that Earl Scruggs was the Eddie Van Halen of his era. The coverage of Hank Sr. was awesome, nearly brought tears to my eyes at the end of episode two. I'm PVR-ing the series and haven't seen episode three yet but expect quite a bit on the likes of Johnny Cash and the development of the recording industry in Nashville.

I'm not really a country music fan and I expect my interest will wain as we proceed into the seventies and beyond (besides Cash of course)

The series is definitely worth a watch.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Sep 2019 16:07

Have they talked about people like Kitty Wells, Red Foley, Patsy Montana, Jim Reeves, Al Dexter, Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Webb Pierce, Ernest Tubb, Johnny Horton, Bill Monroe or Bob Wills yet? :-k

There are so many early pioneers in the genre and I hope they get to my favorite, Ol' Possum, otherwise known as George Jones! :D

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 19 Sep 2019 16:56

Have they talked about people like Kitty Wells, Red Foley, Patsy Montana, Jim Reeves, Al Dexter, Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Webb Pierce, Ernest Tubb, Johnny Horton, Bill Monroe or Bob Wills yet? :-k
Yep, all but Al Dexter and Johnny Horton so far, have been given at least a mention. Pretty darned good documentary!

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 19 Sep 2019 17:45

I watched chapter 2 Hard Times, because I've been delighted with Bob Wills & his Playboys for decades. It's hillbilly jazz and just entertaining happy music. Bob was something of a wild man, prancing, dancing, aiming his fiddle bow at the boys to cut loose a hot solo, making a patter of background jive comments with his ever present ahwwwww! Another first rate Burn's documentary. Contemporary country music needs to get it's soul back. It's become a sappy commercial joke.

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 19 Sep 2019 18:09

I have actually learned a thing or two from the documentary. For instance, I did not know that Hank Williams Sr. wrote "Hey, Good Lookin'" for Little Jimmy Dickens, but recorded it before Jimmy could. (We saw Jimmy at the Opry before he passed.)

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 10 Oct 2019 16:19

Veggie Boy wrote:
19 Sep 2019 14:36
Yeah its a PBS eight part series of two hour episodes for sixteen hours total. Three episodes have been broadcast so far. Decent documentary that fills in some of the blanks in my country music knowledge. Favorite parts so far is learning more about the Carter Family and also the revelation that Earl Scruggs was the Eddie Van Halen of his era. The coverage of Hank Sr. was awesome, nearly brought tears to my eyes at the end of episode two. I'm PVR-ing the series and haven't seen episode three yet but expect quite a bit on the likes of Johnny Cash and the development of the recording industry in Nashville.

I'm not really a country music fan and I expect my interest will wain as we proceed into the seventies and beyond (besides Cash of course)

The series is definitely worth a watch.
No PVR / DVR here..... :shock: but later episodes are still available to stream from PBS website as there's so much to take in.

The older episodes are being locked up and are accessible via PBS's Passport allowing streaming of lots of Public Broadcasting content. As a member of Public Radio have / set up a Passport account....... =D> =D> =D>

BTW, plenty of turntable, lathes, analog equipment, etc, sightings through the ages...... :wink:

Fred

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 11 Oct 2019 01:37

I wanted more Marty Stuart playing. He's really smart and knows his stuff backwards and forwards but more playing. When he demonstrates a Bill Monroe lick you can see just how good he is.
Phil Brown

Frisbee7

Post by Frisbee7 » 11 Oct 2019 05:02

Yes Phil it made me realize I have no Marty Stuart in my collection. The hunt has begun. Great series very interesting episodes. Mike.

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 11 Oct 2019 07:54

dammit - not available for streaming in New Zealand.

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 11 Oct 2019 21:01

Yes Phil it made me realize I have no Marty Stuart in my collection. The hunt has begun.
Marty is fantastic, and he is quite eclectic in his preferences in music (bluegrass, pure country, country-rock, country-blues, etc.). If you are looking for some bluegrass-flavored music by him, I would recommend "Live At The Ryman." If you want more country-flavored (i.e., in this case non-bluegrass) music, try "Ghost Train," which was recorded at RCA Studio B in Nashville. But you can't go wrong with any of his records.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Oct 2019 10:21

Frisbee7 wrote:
11 Oct 2019 05:02
Yes Phil it made me realize I have no Marty Stuart in my collection. The hunt has begun. Great series very interesting episodes. Mike.
I've got quite a few of Marty's 45's in the collection...If you like him, you should check out the repertoire of one Ricky Skaggs! :)

Frisbee7

Post by Frisbee7 » 13 Oct 2019 15:46

Thanks for the tips, the only Ricky Skaggs I have is other artists albums he played on. Mike.