No One Really Understands Your Hobby With Vinyl?

name that tune
Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

No One Really Understands Your Hobby With Vinyl?

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 16 Sep 2019 19:31

My mom is pretty good about trying to understand my love for vinyl. My dad, however, isn't. Yesterday, for example, I was wanting to order a LP of Taylor Swift, and he was like, you don't already have that? I replied that I didn't have it in vinyl format. He just can't understand. He's also this way about me wanting to get myself a better record changer as well. Does anyone have, or have you ever had someone that was like this about your vinyl passion?

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Re: No One Really Understands Your Hobby With Vinyl?

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 16 Sep 2019 21:03

I can see your dad's angle regarding doubling up on an album juts to have it in vinyl. When I first returned to this hobby a few years ago, I did that. Not anymore. IMO its not worth it. Given the millions of albums out there, I rather invest in vinyl on an album I do not already have on CD, MP3 or cassette. Just my two cents. :)

dagfinn
Norway

Post by dagfinn » 17 Sep 2019 12:13

RLJ.jpg
(116.68 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
I like this album a lot. It's your hobby, do as you please. Make yourself happy :lol:

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 17 Sep 2019 12:47

I don't think my friends and family get it either. It's kinda strange because most of my family likes some type of music and I have drawn my tastes from them. At least my partner says nothing when I overspend as I say nothing bad with all the comics and Star Wars and Star Trek memorabilia laying around. I even enjoy being the +1 at Comiccon and I get a bit of company at record shows. I do the carrying and easy hunting at Comiccon and I get luggage service at the record shows and thrift shops. Just maybe my partner gets it after all. My partner also made sure I got the 2 Beatles LP boxsets when they showed up at Costco. Finally a big box I could really enjoy under the Chrissy Bush.

BroX

Post by BroX » 17 Sep 2019 13:18

"You bought more records? Soon you can start a record shop..."
No, my wife doesn't get it. :roll:

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 17 Sep 2019 14:01

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking no one understands my hobby. I know I'm not the only one, but sometimes I feel like I am though.

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 17 Sep 2019 14:45

"Oh, you collect records?"
"I got some in the basement that I use to play when I was younger, you want 'em?"...pulls out water stained box of beat to hell scratched up crap.

"Gee thanks..."

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 17 Sep 2019 14:52

noisefreq wrote:
17 Sep 2019 14:45
"Oh, you collect records?"
"I got some in the basement that I use to play when I was younger, you want 'em?"...pulls out water stained box of beat to hell scratched up crap.

"Gee thanks..."
Huh?

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 17 Sep 2019 15:31

Yeah, I've had a few disappointments like that. I inherited my Grandmothers records. After her constantly telling me how to care for records, I found hers to be quite scratchy. Not to mention the few I remembered were long gone. However, that is how I cut my teeth on rock and roll 78s and 45s many years before. Sometimes I luck out too. My Grandfathers records were in good shape. I had another relative buy me boxes occasionally at auctions too when I was a kid. I never look a gift horse in the mouth as I have had some decent luck. I have had friends that bought stuff and played them once or twice. Their stereos were more for show as an accessory to life rather than a necessity like TV. It does pay off to be friendly with older people especially when they downsize, or like when my Aunts grew up and out of their teen age records. I've even found goodies in boxes at the curb too. Good thing I have a bicycle trailer as I don't drive.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 18 Sep 2019 15:50

I hope you really don't care what anyone thinks about your hobby. It's popular enough these days that it shouldn't seem too far fetched of an interest. Think of all the hobbies where someone fills their homes up with inanimate objects that do nothing but sit or hang there. This hobby rocks, literally.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Sep 2019 16:33

My mom collects angel figurines...Some people do the Hummel or Precious Moments stuff...Others collect Avon bottles or toy trains or jewelry or shoes...Then, there were those diehard Beanie Baby collectors...My dad liked to collect miniature lighthouse sculptures...They were really his passion! I've collected stamps and trains and rocks and postcards and all sorts of cool things...I think everyone has had some hobby or another at one time...But, music is the ONE thing that has kept me ALIVE! In fact, I blame my dad for even getting me into this hobby...Seven people, actually...First, my dad for giving me that GE Wildcat and a box of records as a kid and then, my mom for letting me rifle through her meager record collection and make a couple mixtapes for her...Both of them were big flea market and garage sale nuts, so they took us kids, my sister and I, to all these places when we were younger...I kept collecting records as I got older, but soon drifted to CD's and cassettes in the 90's...Then, I met my "vinyl mentor", a man named Bill, a co-worker who got me interested in vinyl again (and especially 45's) around 1999-2000 so much that I went and purchased all the vinyl I'd missed out on in the decade before...My cousin Lisa was also a big 80's fan and introduced me to all these bands and artists I was unaware of and she had quite a cool record and tape collection...I was envious of it, and wanted to be like her so much...Then, there were the DJ's on the radio, especially Casey Kasem and now, a DJ on KFAI out of Minneapolis named Ron Gerber...I have learned more about my record collection and have increased my record collection due to their influence on my ears over the years...Bill O'Keefe, who owned my favorite local record store, was instrumental, too, since I bought so much vinyl in his shop over the years...Without him, I probably wouldn't be where I am today in this hobby...I guess I should probably also thank the classmates and co-workers who influenced me and everyone I've ever bought equipment from...But, if there was one more, it would be collectively everyone here at Vinyl Engine...Knowing that I'm not the only one with this addiction and love for music has made this journey much more satisfying and I've had the chance to interact with quite a few hobbyists like myself that validate my own excesses and maybe I've influenced a few others at the same time...It's very reciprocal! They have all made it seem normal to have a huge collection of records...My thing is...If you have fun, enjoy what you're doing and are staying out of trouble, what's the issue? Sure, there are people in my life who couldn't get why I was so obsessed with this, even my dad at one point, though it's partly his fault for getting me into this and his love for country music that influenced a lot of my tastes later on...One of my co-workers has questioned me about my vinyl collection, but I think it's more him showing an interest in what interests me than in putting it down...

All I can say is this, Mrs. V...Just remember that here on VE, you are NOT alone...Of course, maybe one day, you'll meet someone else with the same interests...Maybe a friend or relative will be the catalyst for you...Maybe a DJ on the radio or someone from the local record shop...Someone WILL validate your passion at some point...In any case, I say embrace the quirks of this hobby! Enjoy the music for what it is and continue to learn and grow within the hobby...And know that no matter what, WE are all here, if you have any more questions or comments...Vinyl Engine is a truly great community of likeminded enthusiasts and Engineers, so feel free to be "a part of the club" now! :D

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 18 Sep 2019 21:01

Most of my buddies are either into hunting or tinker on cars.

I hunt for vinyl and tinker on turntables.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 21 Sep 2019 23:28

I'm beginning to wonder if I even understand my hobby with vinyl anymore. Having run out of shelves for records in my listening room, I still often find myself searching for yet more familiar albums, or occasional interesting titles and new discoveries. Often, the records, vintage or vinyl, I bring home get played once or twice and then get filed and have yet to be played again. With all the frequent distractions these days, most of my spare time is spent listening to radio broadcasts, at least until I happen to hear or find another record I want. I often hope for someone to stop by and pick out a few selections to play, however this seldom happens, and now Mom's hearing has gotten to the point she can no longer even make out the words of a good song. Almost everyone else I know would just as soon listen to music on their phone or CDs, and maybe hang a record or so on the wall. Limited spare funds have also put a damper on my collecting lately, as well as pending project needs, however I do truly long to rediscover my record collection sometime when I can find the peace and spare time to do so.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 21 Sep 2019 23:46

I wish I could get anyone I know to care enough to even ask me about the vinyl.
I only have one guy at work that cares about vinyl generally, and he only wants to talk about jazz.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Sep 2019 03:01

Big B5515 wrote:
21 Sep 2019 23:28
I'm beginning to wonder if I even understand my hobby with vinyl anymore. Having run out of shelves for records in my listening room, I still often find myself searching for yet more familiar albums, or occasional interesting titles and new discoveries. Often, the records, vintage or vinyl, I bring home get played once or twice and then get filed and have yet to be played again. With all the frequent distractions these days, most of my spare time is spent listening to radio broadcasts, at least until I happen to hear or find another record I want. I often hope for someone to stop by and pick out a few selections to play, however this seldom happens, and now Mom's hearing has gotten to the point she can no longer even make out the words of a good song. Almost everyone else I know would just as soon listen to music on their phone or CDs, and maybe hang a record or so on the wall. Limited spare funds have also put a damper on my collecting lately, as well as pending project needs, however I do truly long to rediscover my record collection sometime when I can find the peace and spare time to do so.
Trust me, it's worth it, B, to hold on to your collection for a while...I understand about the funds, too, but I also was very smart in that I never gave up my vinyl, however meager the collection was at the time, even when CD's and cassettes took over and EVEN during those times and periods when listening to music seemed more like a chore than a pleasure...and then, whether I even WANTED to listen to music or not...I've had my down times and my up times, but I was so glad that my music was there for me when I needed IT and not the other way around where I had to find it all over again once the excitement for it decided to come back...It's nice to know it's there for when the mood strikes to hear something! :D And the mood tends to strike more for music, I think, when a.) it's either put on the backburner too long or b.) it seems inconsequential to other things and I start to question why that is (or why other things have taken precedent over it, being it's been such a big part of my life)...And you know, there are a lot of distractions nowadays for our attention (especially in the digital realm), but I find that among other things, music is one thing that helps bring the focus back and it has a way of reducing my stress levels and bringing on healing like no other...I read a few articles about getting the focus back in our lives recently, in fact...

https://ideas.ted.com/want-to-be-less-d ... ket-newtab
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -new-focus
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the- ... ket-newtab
https://onezero.medium.com/being-indist ... 7780cf36f4

Being able to focus on the important things in life is a learned skill, but music helps me do that like no other medium...One thing I really appreciate about listening to the music on vinyl is that it's not easy...There are all these little rituals I have to do before I hear the music...When something is TOO easy, I don't really ENJOY it as much...When something is a little harder, which makes me not want to do it as often, the times when I DO engage in that activity, such as listening to records, I savor the experience more, if that makes sense...Being able to hone in on the various instruments in the music is a workout for my brain, too...A long time ago, a bus driver once told me that when you listen to a piece of music, try to focus on a different instrument in the musical piece each time...That way, you'll never get bored and it'll allow you to appreciate the music more in your life as a healthy escape...Sometimes, it's good to listen to more challenging music for that reason or unfamiliar music, so that you can train your brain to get accustomed to new sounds...I know it's easy to fall into the trap of putting on the same wellworn, tried-and-true favorites over and over, but even with a little practice, listening to those can be an exciting endeavor with the right motivation and the right intentions...