Vinyl set to outsell CD for the 1st time ever!

name that tune
poutrew
United States of America

Vinyl set to outsell CD for the 1st time ever!

Post by poutrew » 15 Sep 2019 07:43

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/14/vinyl-r ... rcent.html

Really, I'm not sure how I feel about this... :!: :?: :!:

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: Vinyl set to outsell CD for the 1st time ever!

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Sep 2019 08:44

For those of us who have been into vinyl since pre-CD and have been either continuously into vinyl since or have gotten back into it for a while, this is satisfying to hear. It reaffirms and recharges our enthusiasm and continued faith and appreciation for the medium. Unfortunately, the vultures and sharks of unscrupulous manufacture and retailing (with much influence from up-bidding on resale sites like eBay as well) could prove a limiting factor on continued growth in overall sales. Additionally, as noted by A. Schneider in the article, the poor quality of the production and distribution of many manufacturers while still asking too high prices will eventually kill off sales for much of the mid-income market place. So, to echo your statements somewhat....I do know how I feel about the future of the medium and hobby with these concerns. And in real life, I like real vultures and sharks! Unless they take the hint here, the used market will be under even greater pressure as vinyl fans abandon overpriced, poor quality control new product. Bless all the honest players in the market...but we need more. [-X :roll: [-o<

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 15 Sep 2019 17:06

My fear is that streaming is only meant to prepare us for some kind of "pay per play" scheme where we no longer own anything, not even as data on a harddisk.

Ralf

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 15 Sep 2019 17:26

This is good; Excellent to be quite honest. This could spur the development of proper equipment at more reasonable prices and quality. Technics have already re-entered the genre; Just think of how wonderful if we could see the great crafts from the '76-'82 period once again.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 15 Sep 2019 18:13

I'm not really convinced that this is the good news for vinyl that it is cracked up to be. There are two lines on the graph here, vinyl sales and CD sales. The journalism makes you want to think that vinyl has climbed to a good high level......but what is really the story is that CD sales have fallen and in going down have crossed the vinyl curve which is not really growing that much.... :D

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 15 Sep 2019 18:43

I must admit to a slight concern of a bandwagon being jumped on.

There's some truly rotten turntables and other vinyl paraphernalia out there which is proving attractive to some, particularly of the younger generations who didn't grow up with it. They'll move on when they realise it's not what they're expecting it to be; it's not convenient or affordable and at the budget end the sound quality is poor. It's a lot of hassle for minimal gain and eventually as a fad or fashion it'll wane, unfortunately.

For those of us who have decent vinyl gear and/or have had it for a long time (I've still got my first 'serious' turntable, a Thorens TD160 which I've had for approaching 30 years) many recent pressings are far more problematic than anything that was produced when vinyl ruled the roost, with poor pressings, dirt, rubbish materials and high cost. In recent years I've had to return far more new 'audiophile' pressings than secondhand ones; a crazy but not unexpected situation with so many new and inexperienced vinyl pressing plants and operators out there.

I stick with vinyl replay as a route to superlative sound and still have the option to explore all sorts of music very affordably through secondhand stores. I'm also fortunate that I'm reasonably handy, and enjoy working to the levels of precision necessary to keep vintage turntables performing to their best.

Steph

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Sep 2019 18:47

Ralf, your concerns are valid and have been the business model of many sellers (iTunes for example) for years, and a lot of people were not discriminating enough about the quality and too lazy to bother with loading physical music...but just think how valuable and special all your vinyl and even CDs will be if your scenario comes to be the new reality! You still win! :lol:

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Sep 2019 18:56

ibis1.....This is exactly what should be happening for at least a percentage of current manufacturers, and certainly can be seen with some of the better and more respected and conscientious of them Vinyl will not likely ever see the same heights of the 80s to be sure, but as an alternative market with high returns, it would be a smart business decision for existing companies and individuals to unite in an effort to protect and further the market by standardizing quality and promoting the medium with renewed consumer confidence and satisfaction. That is my hope for the future, ....but I will not be letting go of my collection anytime soon on such an assumption either! [-o< [-o< :wink:

rvb
Andorra

Post by rvb » 15 Sep 2019 20:04

"This trend continues in RIAA’s 2019 mid-year report, which came out on Thursday. Vinyl records earned $224.1 million (on 8.6 million units) in the first half of 2019, closing in on the $247.9 million (on 18.6 million units) generated by CD sales. Vinyl revenue grew by 12.8% in the second half of 2018 and 12.9% in the first six months of 2019, while the revenue from CDs barely budged. If these trends hold, records will soon be generating more money than compact discs."

I think the end is near for both. The numbers are way too small.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 15 Sep 2019 20:12

8.6 mil for vinyl to 18.6 mil for CD. Not even nipping at CD's heels yet for units sold.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 15 Sep 2019 21:06

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
15 Sep 2019 18:56
ibis1.....This is exactly what should be happening for at least a percentage of current manufacturers, and certainly can be seen with some of the better and more respected and conscientious of them Vinyl will not likely ever see the same heights of the 80s to be sure, but as an alternative market with high returns, it would be a smart business decision for existing companies and individuals to unite in an effort to protect and further the market by standardizing quality and promoting the medium with renewed consumer confidence and satisfaction. That is my hope for the future, ....but I will not be letting go of my collection anytime soon on such an assumption either! [-o< [-o< :wink:
I say that the market is fertile for a resurgence. The difference between now and, lets say, 1977 is that back then the market was saturated with turntables and record players, of which were of average quality to outstanding quality. Today we have turntables, record players with quality that range from poor to acceptable (and expensive). One of the saving graces of this genre was the availability of "vintage" units from markets such as ebay and internet businesses. It is too bad that we no longer have Radio Shack or JCPenney Audio, because their examples would shame some of the very best examples we have today.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 15 Sep 2019 21:09

CDs will be around a lot longer than many think, because we have yet a replacement for "Ready to Play" music right out of the wrapper. Computer savy people can rip and stream, but for average listeners the medium will still remain with cds, records and perhaps tapes (still).

DL110luvr
United States of America

Post by DL110luvr » 16 Sep 2019 08:25

Saw a story a few days ago about the "Return of the Sony Walkman"......
Great news for us cassette lovers, right???
WRONG!! This "new" Walkman uses some iteration of a hard drive -- Cassettes aren't even available as an "option"!
Sad........:(

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 16 Sep 2019 14:43

Well, I didn't really grow up with vinyl the way most of you have on here. The market for cd's still beats the sails of vinyl. But, like someone said cd's will be around a hell of a lot longer then most people think because you can pretty much play them, "right out of the wrapper".
Actually, with vinyl you can do that as well.
The fad with vinyl that has been going on for many years, is most likely just that, a fad. Most of the record players are being sold to younger people who just want a ready to go player and don't really see any point to do research about vinyl and how to take care of it; nor do they want to learn about the right way to play their vinyl.
Most young people will buy a $25.00 LP, or more, and put it on a cheep turntable, then realize it's not what they thought, and then just do away with the hobby. I, however, am not one of those people. Granted, I'm not perfect and have done things wrong.
I do think it would be really neat if vinyl were to come back the way it once did, because like another person stated, maybe it would have to make the market for better turntables stronger.
Even my parents didn't really grow up with vinyl the way most of you have. When I first started telling my parents that vinyl was coming back, and when they saw it for themselves in the stores; they thought it was neat, but also strange.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 16 Sep 2019 19:30

CD has fallen much, but I think that now it is raising. Many labels for vinyl started with their subsidiary labels specially for CD`s in the last years and they are successful. Like MOV (Music on vinyl) has own subsidiary for CD`s (MOCD). Vinyl and CD are two physical formats which have future, also in a car it is always much pleasuring to listen original CD album than mp3 download.