Anyone into Rock/Metal Vinyl

name that tune
lezarus
Great Britain

Anyone into Rock/Metal Vinyl

Post by lezarus » 14 Sep 2019 19:32

Since getting back into vinyl recently this is my preferred genre but have mellowed in my old age.

I have given my Discogs link below for my collection (for anyone interested):-

https://www.discogs.com/user/Lesmcd/col ... tists_sort (Hope this works)

I have only recently started collecting again to add to my small collection bought in the 80/90's so my knowledge is lacking since then.

I like the likes of A Perfect circle, Tool, Incubus and Deftones which I'm told are progressive metal.

If anyone would like recommend bands which are similar to help in furthering my collection/Knowledge it would be appreciated.

I play a lot of online poker and listen to vinyl whilst playing to pass the time.

I'm hoping there some real gems out there which I'm not aware off that someone can help me find. :D

cary114
United States of America

Re: Anyone into Rock/Metal Vinyl

Post by cary114 » 15 Sep 2019 01:30

Lezarus, You have a nice collection there. enjoy the time as you expand it.

Cary

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 15 Sep 2019 02:29

If you like those bands I’m sure you have Rush and Dream Theater on your list. Rudder is great if you like groove drums. Oz Noy if you like out there guitar that is melodic anyway (Oz is hard to explain). Wolfmother might be worth a try. Garaj Mahal for sure but it’s not very heavy.

Note some of these are not on vinyl as far as I know.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 15 Sep 2019 09:00

Wolfmother are on vinyl and so are Transatlantic featuring Pete Trewavas (of Marillion fame) and they are usually doubles, saying that the Wolfmother album I have is also a double.

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 17 Sep 2019 10:36

Looking good Lezarus!

I recently bought Opeth's 'Sorceress' and Nightwish's 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful' and have a load of Porcupine Tree's stuff so I'm with you on those!

I see you have a couple of Jinjer's releases there too! ... now that girl has an extraordinary voice!

How about some Flower Kings though? , some of those are on vinyl! ...

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 17 Sep 2019 11:51

In This Moment, one of my favourite metal bands, Maria Brink has a fantastic voice.

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 24 Sep 2019 00:39

Hello!
Im into rock and metal. Actually, I believe rock/metal sounds great on vinyl.
I will recommend the following records but perhaps you already have them:

1) Scorpions, from "Lonsome Crow" up to "Animal Magnetism" that is the best of Scorpions.
Specially "Fly to the Rainbow" is the absolute best of Scorpions and for me it is one of the best rock records ever!!

2) UFO im a huge fan of UFO with and without Michael Schenker UFO is for me one of the very best rock groups.

3) Michael Schenker: im a huge fan of Michael Schenker, perhaps my favourite guitar player, he is number one!! Look for Built to Destroy and Assault Attack.

4) Yngwie Malmsteen: from Alcatraz to Rising Force to Trilogy to Inspiration, etc, etc. I love Malmsteen, another outstanding musician. Im big fan of him.

5) Deep Purple: everything Purple up to "The Battle Rages On"

6) Rory Gallagher: everything from him is great.

7) Wishbone Ash: nearly everything is excellent.

8) Alvin Lee and Ten Years After, all good!

9) Judas Priest, everything from the Rocka Rolla up to British Steel

Just to mention a few...

Enjoy.

Progman2112
United States of America

Post by Progman2112 » 06 Oct 2019 04:44

Do your self a favor and check out Vanden Plas,one of the best prog metal bands around.Just released some of their back catalog on vinyl and new album coming out next Friday

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 06 Oct 2019 07:25

Joedisco....you have a good ear and great taste. Some of the very best of early prog and metal rock. Could not create a better list. I'd add Blue Oyster Cult and Boston to that list, along with my must have band, Pink Floyd. The music I grew up with, the music I love, the music I play. Lots of great choices outstanding for sure.... 8)

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 10 Oct 2019 08:14

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
06 Oct 2019 07:25
Joedisco....you have a good ear and great taste. Some of the very best of early prog and metal rock. Could not create a better list. I'd add Blue Oyster Cult and Boston to that list, along with my must have band, Pink Floyd. The music I grew up with, the music I love, the music I play. Lots of great choices outstanding for sure.... 8)
Thanks!

I Agree!

I forgot to mention Uriah Heep!!