Top 25 Live Albums from Universal...

name that tune
Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Top 25 Live Albums from Universal...

Post by Tonybro » 11 Sep 2019 13:53

I am on Universal Music Group's UK mailing list (uDiscover) and today they sent out a Top 25 Live Albums e-mail (a bit like the Top x lists they come up with in the book/film, High Fidelity).

I was surprised at the number I already had and I can't dispute number 1 but there are others I think are worthy of consideration that are overlooked as is usual with these personally compiled lists.

Any glaring omissions from anyone or even vehement disagreement with any in there? ;-)

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Top 25 Live Albums from Universal...

Post by JDJX » 11 Sep 2019 20:20

I'm sure that there are some that should be on that list.

There is one that come to mind however...
Pure Prairie (lLive) - Takin' The Stage
It's some great vintage US "county rock" at its best in a 2 LP set. :)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +The+Stage+

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Sep 2019 08:14

Hmmm...I own the Top 3 on that list, plus 8 more! There are others in my personal list, like The 5th Dimension's "Live!!" album and my Louis Prima-Keely Smith "Live From Las Vegas" CD that I'd place up there, but that's just me...

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 12 Sep 2019 12:50

That's what I was implying - these things are very personal but, like you I think I had about 10 of the 25 in the list!

For me, personally, I wouldn't be without Genesis and Three Sides Live, Dire Straits' Alchemy. Marillion's La Gazza Ladra and Runrig's Once in a Lifetime. I'm also amazed one of the greatest showmen and bands out there, Queen, haven't got a truly great live performance on record.

Veggie Boy
Canada

Post by Veggie Boy » 12 Sep 2019 14:47

I have 20 of the 25 listed but yeah there are others that I feel should be on that list. A few that come to mind are:

Bob Seger ~ Live Bullet
Simple Minds ~ Live in the City of Light
Harry Chapin ~ Greatest Stories Live
Neil Diamond ~ Hot August Night

There are others but these are right off the top of my head

kingpin1935
Wales

Post by kingpin1935 » 12 Sep 2019 15:01

I would add BB King: Live at the Regal,considered by many blues fans to be the best live album of all time.

I regret to say that my copy was stolen a few years ago and I`ve yet to find a good copy ever since.

Paff

Post by Paff » 12 Sep 2019 16:06

Ramones - It's Alive

Captures the sound, feel, and emotion of early Ramones. It's before their output became spotty (often only one or two good songs at most on the later records). Last few years there have been some live Ramones records from early in their career that get released on RSD, and I'm just about to plunk down my $35 before I remember that that classic era was already recorded best on It's Alive. Some of those RSD releases are from the SAME TOUR as It's Alive, maybe just days apart. How much different can it be?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Sep 2019 01:54

"Live Bullet", yes! "Hot August Night"? Absolutely! My "basement guru", though, turned me on to the "Alchemy" album from Dire Straits and yes, it also belongs on the list! =D> My vinyl mentor would probably add Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma", at least the first disc, Uriah Heep's "Uriah Heep Live" from 1973, The Moody Blues' "Hall Of Fame" album (featuring their Royal Albert Hall performance) or "Night At Red Rocks" and ELO's "The Night The Light Went On In Long Beach"! I would also add Stevie Ray Vaughan's "In Session" album with Albert King or the "Live From Austin, Texas" DVD and possibly Jimi Hendrix's performance at The Monterey Pop Festival! :D

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 14 Sep 2019 01:47

"One more night". Eric Clapton 8) Surely this album should be included in the list...

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 14 Sep 2019 03:44

I wouldn't find fault with any of these albums either. The only way to come to anything close to a consensus on "best of lists" is for every reader to submit a similar list of their 25 best and by comparing many, many such lists, come to the ultimate, mutually agreed upon by percentage best live album list. Isn't going to happen.....but, you do have to admire anyone with the inspiration, dedication and sense of daring to peruse the many possible albums, compare them on basis of validity to the premise of the list, then present it to the scrutiny and approval of others. As is already evident, not to be taken lightly, since the first response is almost always some level of disagreement, and a definite show of personal preference of music genres by the "audience". Good list overall, and most comments other than supportive ones will be redundant, since this is the author's list of choices. And I'm fine with that personally.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 14 Sep 2019 03:45

I wouldn't find fault with any of these albums either. The only way to come to anything close to a consensus on "best of lists" is for every reader to submit a similar list of their 25 best and by comparing many, many such lists, come to the ultimate, mutually agreed upon by percentage best live album list. Isn't going to happen.....but, you do have to admire anyone with the inspiration, dedication and sense of daring to peruse the many possible albums, compare them on basis of validity to the premise of the list, then present it to the scrutiny and approval of others. As is already evident, not to be taken lightly, since the first response is almost always some level of disagreement, and a definite show of personal preference of music genres by the "audience". Good list overall, and most comments other than supportive ones will be redundant, since this is the author's list of choices. And I'm fine with that personally. 8) =D> =D>

Sorry, duplicate....added Smilies

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 14 Sep 2019 04:41

Lou Reed - Rock 'n' Roll Animal (Wagner/Hunter....oh mein Gott)
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (reworking of classics, tasty originals and great production....oh, and Hell froze over 8) )