Where was my record made ?

name that tune
georgesgiralt
France

Where was my record made ?

Post by georgesgiralt » 25 Aug 2019 20:30

Hello !
I was listening at a CBS record of Jascha Heifezt and Brook Smith concert in 1972 in Los Angeles. *
As this record was bought in France, there is a wording saying "printed in France" But CBS being an American company, I wonder where this record was pressed ?
The wording applies to the cardboard and text or also to the record itself ?
Was it possible that CBS (or others) shipped pre-made records over the ocean or just the matrix ?
What do you think/know about this subject ?
Many thanks in advance for your help and answer !

* : This record is fantastic, both in term of recording and processing and the interpretation !

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Where was my record made ?

Post by Bob Dillon » 25 Aug 2019 21:11

The matrix # would tell you where the LP was pressed. With no matrix #, we're just tilting at windmills.

U.S. LP's on the Columbia label were released under the CBS imprimatur internationally.

They could also have shipped a tape (but most likely not the master) for LP cutting overseas, to add to your list of scenarios.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 26 Aug 2019 15:22

Well, the record says :
CBS 76419-B
D
and hand written " sst "
The -B is the side because the other side says "-A" ;-)

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 26 Aug 2019 16:37

Where a record was pressed? mmmmm The record industry is like any other industry...basically it is set up to make a profit and as such this principle will apply to where they are "made." Mostly a recording starts its manufacture in the land that it is recorded in ( there are a few minor exceptions and as time went on this trend did break down some what) . Now if you are wanting to buy the record in the country where it is made then usually you get a record from that country. However, if you want a copy and you are not in that country, then there are several possibilities.....1) you import a copy , this was done in the earlier days of LPs but it is expensive. So some larger companies investigated other possibilities bringing in 2) Set up an overseas pressing plant in that country , press it there and sell it.....this can be cheaper than import if you have enough record(s) demand......or 3) Franchise your record to a pressing plant already in that land.....give them the master ( or equivalent) dictate the label design and album cover design and then they press this sell it and return a portion to the original owner......this was quite a good process but the design and the layout of cover was subject to the laws of the land where it was made and so you got interesting variations....

Move on and the industry changes....labels now own recordings and lease them out to companies to print them...this gives a slightly different approach and tended to give more control over how product looked and the homogeneity of the product....here only minor variations such as country of pressing notifications on the label....

Another situation....brought in when you have a big big seller like some Beatle albums .......you find your ability to press the album is at your limits and still you still need more.......you then farm the pressing out to other labels, who use your design and press your record but on their machines etc and sometimes with their materials.....results interesting variations on a theme and export copies which are most interesting and often very collectable....

So, how do you know what you have? Well you need data from the copy, label, label code, matrix number, dead wax extra data, font type, arrangement of the details on the label, common code data, sleeve printing and sleeve printers, vinyl shape and formulation, similar data for the cover....the list goes on....but you do need experience , research and above all you need to have seen the copies and know what to look for.... :D

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 27 Aug 2019 10:22

This pressing has the sleeve printed in Holland, while the label has the small print "made in Germany" referring to the pressing plant. Does your label look similar?
https://www.discogs.com/Cesar-Franck-Ri ... se/7701302

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 27 Aug 2019 13:35

No, there are no geographical indications on the label on mine. Only the sleeve has an indication.

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 27 Aug 2019 21:54

A copy of the master tape was made and shipped to wherever and discs cut there. Physical records are not shipped internationally by the companies and lacquers only rarely. I've done it twice.
Phil Brown