Slowed down music

name that tune
poutrew
United States of America

Slowed down music

Post by poutrew » 03 Aug 2019 09:08

I just bought a new Queen album, The Game, and was playing it for the first time tonight. It was half speed mastered, and it sounded excellent. In fact I was thunderstruck at how clear the thing sounded, and how much more melodious Freddy Mercury's voice was... That was when I noticed that I had somehow knocked the sync lock off, and the record was in fact playing around 15% slower than normal. Holy crap, Queen sounds so much better when played slow! :shock: I wonder if anyone else has noticed this effect - that changing the pitch of a record actually improves it? Speeding up the album in this case only turns Freddy into a chipmunk, but slowing things down results in a huge improvement. I now need to listen to some old favorites at slower speed...

Sinsonido
United States of America

Re: Slowed down music

Post by Sinsonido » 03 Aug 2019 18:40

I'm not sure if I have a preference for slightly slower, but it does bother me when things are running even a little too fast. One very good example for me was when Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii was released on Polygram video, and there was a similar problem for the Director's Cut version on DVD. I think it runs about a semitone too fast, and is very noticeable. I'm guessing this had to do with NTSC to PAL conversion, although the older releases of the video on Harmonyvision/Vestron did not have this issue.

At the correct speed it sounds almost spacious and majestic. The faster speed 'chokes' it up and even ruins the vibe of the music in a way. The Director's Cut ruins the flow of the movie altogether, but that's another story....