Spoken word albums anyone?

name that tune
VinyldechezPierre
France

Spoken word albums anyone?

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 21 Jul 2019 12:49

Not that I could listen to nothing else but I do like my few spoken word albums.

My favorites are Jello Biaffra's "No More Cocoons" and Lydia Lunch's "Oral Fixation".

Another one I really like is "Take No Prisoners", a live album by Lou Reed. Not supposed to be a spoken word album but Lou spends a lot of time ranting and raving about journalists and other subjects. :lol:

Least favorite: Kurt Cobain and William S. Burroughs' "Priest, They Called Him". The words are very nice but Kurt was either tired or super lazy the day of the recording...

How about you? Any suggestions?

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Spoken word albums anyone?

Post by Pauw » 21 Jul 2019 13:49

I love those UK based comedy spoken word albums....The Goons....Steptoe and Son....Hancock and so on....there are many and they are a great slice of how we used to live.....families would gather and listen round the radio and this was recaptured on LPs so you could listen to your favourite shows "on demand" on your turntable......

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 21 Jul 2019 15:07

Any Tom Waits LP. Take your pick! Or start with Nighthawks at the Diner.

AgedAngel

Post by AgedAngel » 21 Jul 2019 16:40

The Goons, certainly.

And anything by Ken Nordine.

AA

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 21 Jul 2019 18:42

How about Monty Python? , and of course the completely irreverent Derek and Clive??

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 22 Jul 2019 15:37

Names to be checked out. Thanks.

Comedy albums are usually not my thing but I'll do a listen and see. It's similar to soundtrack albums; no matter how great it sounds while watching the movie, I just can't get into listening to the album. Comedy is somewhat the same. Shows are wonderful but the albums don't do it for me.

Othne3l7
United States of America

Post by Othne3l7 » 23 Jul 2019 17:43

Rod mc kuen ?

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 23 Jul 2019 17:53

Gonna 'loosely' add Dexy's Midnight Runners (take your pick of LP) but for sure not a spoken word album per se- but much spoken word throughout the sides.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 23 Jul 2019 18:36

I have some sountracks and a live album by the four Preps that have, "spoken" parts in them, but the only thing I have that is purely a spoken word isn't an album. What I have is a 78, though it's the size of a 45, that is a letter from someone in 1941, I think. He I guess was part of WWII, and was sending a letter home.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 25 Jul 2019 03:11

I kind of like Walter Brennan. Almost before my time.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Jul 2019 06:36

Anyone ever heard this single? It's a spoken recitation with orchestral backing... :-k

There is also this one from Anthony Quinn...

and then, this Christmas one from Cary Grant...

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 25 Jul 2019 14:17

Cool. Sort of a Shatner before Shatner....
PS great album with some spoken word or at least elements of spoken word throughout the vocals by Shatner
Common People
check this one out.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 25 Jul 2019 15:17

Having read through this thread, I am seeing that people are confusing records of "talking songs" such as Tex Ritter or Les Crane with "spoken word" records such as anything on Caedmon records, like talking books. Spoken word records mayhave incidental music, like in movies, but talking songs are intended for the music buying public where the instrumental background is more than suggestive of a mood or theme. As to talking songs, I think my most listened to song is Deck of Cards by Wink Martindale though there are other equally enjoyable versions, like by Tex Ritter and Eddie Dean. My most listened to spoken word album would be Nautilus 90 North read by Alexander Scourby. I would love to find another copy as mine was lost years ago.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 25 Jul 2019 16:58

Yeah, there is a difference between talking songs, vs spoken albums like talking books, or like the one I have already told about here.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 25 Jul 2019 17:23

Mrs Ritchie Valens wrote:
25 Jul 2019 16:58
Yeah, there is a difference between talking songs, vs spoken albums like talking books, or like the one I have already told about here.
Yes, those records are cool. I am always surprised when family members get rid of them and can't be bothered to have interest in them. When I worked in a used record store, we went to a home to buy records. When I asked about 78's for my personal collection, the lady handed me a bunch. In a book of 10 inchers, there was a 6 1/2 inch Recordio disc of her husband before she was married. Her husband had passed away and when I called her to ask if she wanted it back, she didn't and didn't want to hear it. I thought it was sad as I had no inkling of the marriage being bad and I thought her kids and grandkids would have liked it at least.