Picture Discs: What Does Everyone Think?

name that tune
Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Picture Discs: What Does Everyone Think?

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 19 Jul 2019 23:20

Hey all,
So, I have a few picture discs in my album collection. One of them is a Disney soundtrack, and the other two are albums by Michael Jackson. Is it true that they don't sound the best? To me, I don't think they really sound any different. What do you guys think of picture discs?

macshifi

Re: Picture Discs: What Does Everyone Think?

Post by macshifi » 20 Jul 2019 01:41

I have quite a few pic discs in my own collection and only one proclaims to be "made to be played", it is a Judas Priest recording from 1978. All I can say about them is they're nice to look at, but I no longer even try to play any of them, because of the increased surface noise on them, compared to usual black vinyl issues of records.

Mark

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 20 Jul 2019 07:50

I have a number of coloured vinyl and a few picture discs in my collection on 7inch singles and 12inch albums, they sound exactly the same as their black counterparts except for a little surface noise between tracks. These discs are reputed to be less robust than black vinyl but i've never played them that many times to find out!

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 20 Jul 2019 09:44

In the past most discs were black for a reason. Carbon black was added to add durability to the record .However , this was in the early history of vinyl records and as such it probably had its place in the thinking. As time has gone on, the manufacture of vinyl has changed a little and with more advanced polymer science, a more durable vinyl might well be possible without carbon black......However, the idea of a bit of surface noise does still crop up in discussions about picture discs .....

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Jul 2019 01:40

To my knowledge I only have one picture disc. It is a Vogue record from the late '40s or early '50s. These were standard groove 78s which were laminated with an aluminum disc in the center. The aluminum disc has a picture on each side which I believe are printed on paper. The playing surfaces are a clear plastic which I believe is vinyl.

Here are pictures of the record:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 086/medium

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 085/medium

The above record is of the Clyde McCoy band which was a poppy sort of swing band of the period.

I started a string on Vogue records when I bought this thing https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 96&t=93191 however I did not post the picture. I linked the eBay ad but the picture is long gone.

At the time I pronounced the sound unremarkable. I thought it had rumble but with last night's playing I did not notice much rumble. I still judge it to be quite noisy. This time I noticed that the surface had a hard life so the noise may be that. Either I have better light now or my first look was pre-cataract surgery. At the time I figured the unremarkable sound was due to the process. Now I believe the hard life may be the reason for the poor sound. If another Vogue record comes up in good shape and at a decent price I may take a chance on it.

I know that something is made of lampblack in the vinyl mixture making records quieter. There may be something to that notion however I have a 12" microgroove 78 RPM record on the Audiophile label which is red and somewhat transparent. This record is quiet and other that the fact that it is mono will rival audiophile records of a couple of decades later, so something other than lampblack must work and have been known in ~ 1950.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 265/medium

Phil

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 22 Jul 2019 23:52

I think there are a lot of things that can make records noisey. I think the most often cause of records being this way, is the hard life they are often subjected to. My picture discs aren't too bad; though I haven't played them in a good while now....
I love colored vinyl!! I even own some colored vinyl both on 45's and 33's!!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 02:00

If you love colored vinyl, you have to check out this thread of ours...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 41&t=65772

I have quite a few records on colored vinyl, as well as this picture disc of MJ...

They're not always good in the sound quality department, though, but can be fun to own...Jarrett has some thoughts on these, too...

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 23 Jul 2019 06:01

8) Hi Mrs Ritchie Valens,

If you are discussing vinyl, I believe you are correct. To be sure there has been some recycled vinyl with the labels ground into the mix. Records made with that stuff will be noisy. I have found that if a vinyl record looks good it won’t likely be too noisy. That is not to say a record played with a bad stylus won’t have distortion. It can sound pretty bad but it won’t be noisy. I have heard and read that lampblack is added to the vinyl mix as a lubricant to make them quieter. As I said there may be something to that, but I have several colored vinyl records and a very white vinyl record which are quiet and I can’t believe they have lampblack in them.

Phil
Mrs Ritchie Valens wrote:
22 Jul 2019 23:52
I think there are a lot of things that can make records noisey. I think the most often cause of records being this way, is the hard life they are often subjected to. My picture discs aren't too bad; though I haven't played them in a good while now....
I love colored vinyl!! I even own some colored vinyl both on 45's and 33's!!

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 23 Jul 2019 16:01

Phill,
I own a white colored vinyl as well as as some pink 45's and one 33 colored pink. And they too, are quiet.
I have however, a LP by the platters that's veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery noisey!! When I got the thing, it had no sleave, and no jacket!! I had to steel a random case from another LP just so that it would have one!!

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 23 Jul 2019 18:54

I've got one of the early Curved Air ones ... like this .. (pictured on my old JBE deck ...)

Sounds quite horrible because of it's 'multi-laminated' design ...

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 23 Jul 2019 20:02

Yo Picture freaks and Hi, Phil:

I have one picture disc. It is a collection of Connie Francis's with the same picture if her on a pale blue shirtwaist dress on both sides, and a list of the tracks in the picture. I don't know what record company produced it, but it was fairly recent, and not before 1971. It was not produced by either MGM or EMI, both of which recorded her, and her name is misspelled as "Conny." The sound is not very good, rolled off at both the high and low ends, and is really disappointing, but the picture is pretty.

Connie, unfortunately, was haunted by tragedy. In 1971, while appearing at the Westbury Music fair, she returned to her room at the Jericho New York Howard Johnson Motor Lodge and discovered that her room had been invaded by a burglar who had used a plastic credit card to get past the spring lock. He held her captive for several hours, cut her, raped her, and left her for dead under a mattress. He didn't know who she was. The experience wrecked her, and she was unable to perform for several years. She sued the Howard Johnson Motor Inn for failing to provide adequate security, and won 2 1/2 million dollars in a jury trial. It is an historic case, which sets the standards for hotel security, requiring a dead bolt lock on each room door. As if that weren't enough, she lost her brother, to whom she was very close, when he was murdered, and she became bipolar for a number of years.

She eventually overcame her problems, and has returned to releasing records and performing, appearing iat the Castro Theater in a sold out engagement in 2007.

And good luck from the old digresser himself,

Joe Z.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 24 Jul 2019 00:20

josephazannieri wrote:
23 Jul 2019 20:02
Yo Picture freaks and Hi, Phil:

I have one picture disc. It is a collection of Connie Francis's with the same picture if her on a pale blue shirtwaist dress on both sides, and a list of the tracks in the picture. I don't know what record company produced it, but it was fairly recent, and not before 1971. It was not produced by either MGM or EMI, both of which recorded her, and her name is misspelled as "Conny." The sound is not very good, rolled off at both the high and low ends, and is really disappointing, but the picture is pretty.

Connie, unfortunately, was haunted by tragedy. In 1971, while appearing at the Westbury Music fair, she returned to her room at the Jericho New York Howard Johnson Motor Lodge and discovered that her room had been invaded by a burglar who had used a plastic credit card to get past the spring lock. He held her captive for several hours, cut her, raped her, and left her for dead under a mattress. He didn't know who she was. The experience wrecked her, and she was unable to perform for several years. She sued the Howard Johnson Motor Inn for failing to provide adequate security, and won 2 1/2 million dollars in a jury trial. It is an historic case, which sets the standards for hotel security, requiring a dead bolt lock on each room door. As if that weren't enough, she lost her brother, to whom she was very close, when he was murdered, and she became bipolar for a number of years.

She eventually overcame her problems, and has returned to releasing records and performing, appearing iat the Castro Theater in a sold out engagement in 2007.

And good luck from the old digresser himself,

Joe Z.
WOW!! I never knew that about her!! WOW sooo very sad! I have a few 45's of her as well as a couple of LP's, though not any of them are picture discs. You make me want that record you have of her now!!

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 24 Jul 2019 10:54

OK, as a piece of art work, they are great, as records they are poor with very high 'groove roar' to say the least.

That said, I have a soft spot for them! :oops:

OK, starting with JUST picture discs, no coloured vinyl here: -
PicDiscs1.jpg
Picture Discs
(207.78 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Top row (L-R) all albums (LPs)
Fish - Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors
Michael Schenker Group - Assault Attack
Spinal Tap - Break Like The Wind

Middle Row (L-R) all 12" singles
Art of Noise RSD Special compilation
Meatloaf - Modern Girl (double with Gatefold sleeve - 12" and 12" Pic Disc)
Meatloaf - If You Really Want To

Bottom Row (L-R) all 12" singles
Queen - It's a Hard Life
Scorpions - Send Me An Angel
ZZ Top - Breakaway

Now onto some of my Marillion collection: -
MarillionPicSingles.jpg
Marillion Picture Singles
(135.92 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Top Row (L-R)
Grendel (Live) RDS release
Market Square Heroes
Garden Party (actually a 7"!)

Bottom Row (L-R)
Assassing
Lavender
Kayleigh

I have some others on 7" I can try and dig out, such as the Police - Synchronicity, Meatlof - Dead Ringer, etc. - these were just accessible! ;-)

These are dwarfed by my coloured vinyl - e.g. Pink Floyd - Learning to Fly on 7" Pink vinyl, Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast 7" on transparent red vinyl, Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen on Blue vinyl, etc.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 24 Jul 2019 13:50

vinyl master wrote:
23 Jul 2019 02:00
They're not always good in the sound quality department, though, but can be fun to own...Jarrett has some thoughts on these, too...

Ive never seen Jarrets video on this, but I have seen the original footage he showed of how the picture discs are made, thats great because I didnt have to hunt for it and post it. To me its great that picture discs are the records that are best suited to be displayed on the wall, and not on the turntable, lol. I didnt pay attention to how thin the top layer is when I saw the original video, but wow, I knew it didnt look right.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 24 Jul 2019 17:27

Well, I like my picture discs/ colored vinyl!!