It should have been a hit!!

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: It should have been a hit!!

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 04:03

Maybe Bill Withers was old news by 1985, but this R&B single should have done better than simply #106 on the charts...Then again, maybe the fans' love for this new Bill Withers sound had "withered" away by then... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 04:08

Bill would go on to tour with Jennifer Holliday and end his association with Columbia Records after that single and the album it came from, "Watching You Watching Me"...Jennifer, on the other hand, recorded this great funk tune that was produced by the great Maurice White...Unlike The Emotions' "Best Of My Love", Maurice's magic touch did nothing for this one...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 04:12

L.A. was the place to be in the early 80's and I can't think of a better song that defines that era and the place than this one, by the most unlikeliest of groups...This one showed off a smoother side to the otherwise gritty funkateers!

Again, it would have sounded stellar coming out of the radio on a hot day in July! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 04:18

One of my favorite films of all-time (and it's a cult favorite, to be sure...) is the William Holden-Ricky Schroeder drama "The Earthling"...It's just one of those films that you either get or you don't, but both actors were great in it...Anyway, the closing theme by Maureen McGovern is a favorite, but unlike her theme for the TV series "Angie" ("Different Worlds"), this one didn't hit home...or even halfway home...but struck out! :(

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 04:28

Dionne Warwick had a hit with The Bee Gees' "Heartbreaker" in 1982 and was a few years away from singing an anthem with her "Friends"...On the "Heartbreaker" album, though, this one (also co-written by Barry Gibb) just missed the Top 40...

I guess the Bee Gees didn't always have that magic touch...That it wasn't a bigger hit, at least in my mind, was a "tragedy"... :(

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 04:36

One of Dionne's famous "Friends" back in the 70's did a stellar version of the Joe Cocker-Dave Mason-Traffic perennial "Feelin' Alright"...It was an album cut on 1971's "If I Were Your Woman", but man, it smokes everything else out there!! 8)

The fact that it wasn't a hit? I'm not feeling alright about that... :(

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 04:46

Another artist on the Motown roster that recorded "Feelin' Alright?" was the great David Ruffin...And I just happen to like this other song, the b-side to his hit "My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)" so much that I played it over and over as a kid...It has that great Motown groove and David's over-the-top vocals! =D>

Again, it shoulda-been a hit!! #-o

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 04:59

Speaking of Motown's greatest, here's one from the inimitable Four Tops...In 1996, Whitney Houston made a Top 5 hit out of it and featured it on the "Preacher's Wife" soundtrack, but one wonders what might have happened had the original went gold as well... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 05:11

Another Detroit favorite is the unquestionable Queen Of Soul, a moniker that's not taken lightly around here! Aretha killed her over-the-top performances but not all of them went to the top of the charts...Case in point was this one that just missed the Top 40 in 1974, although it was an R&B hit that same year...

OK, you say...That one was a hit somewhere...Fine! Here's an album cut from her 1981 LP, "Love All The Hurt Away" that did absolutely nothing, but it's still a favorite of mine! 8)

And what a great inspirational message, too! God bless "The Queen"! =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 09:11

Another Detroit legend is "The Boss" Ms. Ross...This is one from her 1983 LP, "Ross" that only got to #77 on the charts, although I thought it deserved a better showing!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jul 2019 02:15

OK, don't ask me why, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why Chicago's own Walter Jackson never had ONE hit on the Top 40 charts! Not...a...one!! Columbia Records' A&R man Carl Davis continued to promote him as an album artist, rather than a singles artist, and although he had a few big hits on the R&B charts, I think at least this one should've given him some pop success, as well, considering what Otis Redding, Solomon Burke, Jackie Wilson and Wilson Pickett were doing at the time... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jul 2019 02:31

Back to the 80's again...Neil Sedaka's daughter Dara duetted with him on his 1980 Top 20 hit, "Should've Never Let You Go", but there's more to the story...Dara released a solo album called "I'm Your Girl Friend" that was only issued in Japan and fetches big bucks nowadays...Well, several songs would've sounded great on the radio at the time, considering the fact that the album was produced by the one and only David Foster, and Steve Porcaro and Steve Lukather of Toto were on the album...For cryin' out loud, Bryan Adams and the guys from Mr. Mister were doing the background vocals! :? All to no avail, but I love the album and thought I would spotlight the opening track, a little thing called "Huggin'"...Enjoy! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jul 2019 02:55

Alrighty then...Just to show that I can do it, we're going to the 2000's now...I remember very well when Avril Ramona Lavigne's "Let Go" was released, because there was a lot of promotion for it in my favorite record store! You couldn't miss the big poster on the wall! Anyway, she had quite a few Top 10 singles from it, including "Complicated", "Sk8er Boi" and "I'm With You"...Her fourth single, "Losing Grip" stalled at #64, but it's still one of my favorites! :D

In fact, if there was a fifth single, my personal opinion is that it should have been "My World", but only in my dreams, I guess...Still, it's a good one, although it might be a bit poppy for some! :D

It's her life story in lyrics and it has a catchy beat...What's not to love??? :-k

Her second album also spawned a few hits, but her third single from "Under My Skin" titled "Nobody's Home" just missed the Top 40...Funny thing is...It was a Top 5 hit in Canada and Top 40 in almost every country except here in the States! And she wasn't over by 2004, as she had a huge #1 hit the world over just a few short years later with "Girlfriend"...Sooo, what gives??? :? Anyway, I'm gonna spotlight it, as well...

Finally, she recently released a great song last year, "Head Above Water", that chronicles her battle with Lyme disease and what she went through...Many inspirational songs have become huge hits ("I Can See Clearly Now", "What's Going On?", "From A Distance" and "Wind Beneath My Wings" for example...) and "Keep Holding On" was huge for her, but this deserved a better placing than #64...It did even worse in the UK, although it was another Top 40 hit for her in Canada...I'm not letting it drown in a sea of crap (or whatever they call most modern Top 40 music nowadays), though...

Last edited by vinyl master on 16 Jul 2019 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jul 2019 03:03

Another band that was huge around the early 2000's was the great Evanescence, fronted by Amy Lee...While "Bring Me To Life" and "My Immortal" were Top 10 hits around the world, their second single, "Going Under", didn't even chart here...Again, I'm not letting it drown... :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jul 2019 03:14

Of course, my main wheelhouse is the 60's, 70's and 80's, so here's one from Gino Vannelli's "Brother To Brother" album..."I Just Wanna Stop" was his first Top 10 hit, although he had a Top 40 hit years earlier with "People Gotta Move"...If "Brother To Brother" had been promoted better, I think these would've been Top 40 hits, too...

While "Wheels Of Life" got stuck at #78, "The River Must Flow" didn't even chart, although it was covered by a few others...