It should have been a hit!!

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: It should have been a hit!!

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 15:05

Another great song I discovered in a batch of 45's was this one from Carla Olson & her bandmates...There's a lot of truth in it's lyrics! :-k

The Textones at one time could also boast of having both Go-Go Kathy Valentine and Phil Seymour ("Precious To Me") in it's ranks and they did an early version of The Go Go's hit "Vacation"...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 15:08

Back to the 70's again, here's one my mom always liked...It was a big hit for Cymarron and then, her favorite from Lobo, but I like how Lonnie Mack stripped it down a bit...

Last edited by vinyl master on 13 Jul 2019 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 15:13

Speaking of Lobo, this one here doesn't seem to be included on many of his hit compilations, despite it being a #1 AC hit...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 15:19

Here's another one (a cover of The Call's "I Still Believe") from the 80's by a guy named Tim Cappello, who was Tina Turner's go-to saxman for years ("We Don't Need Another Hero", "One Of The Living", etc.)...It comes from "The Lost Boys" soundtrack and has that anthemic feel...

An how can you argue with that saxophone solo...So 80's, indeed! 8)

Here's the original for comparison, although I think Tim's sax adds another dimension...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 15:26

Now, here's a rare one...Her album commands high prices, but I remember this as the theme song for CBC's "The Raccoons" in Canada...It has all the right ingredients for a hit, though, here in the U.S., but alas, it never made a dent here...Still, a longtime favorite! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 15:35

OK, I seriously don't know how "It's My Life" (which was later a Top 10 hit when covered by No Doubt) only made it to #31 and this only made it to #90, when they are both considered classics today! :(

R.I.P. to Mark Hollis (1955-2019) on this one, too...Listen to the words! 8)

Again, it shoulda-been a Top 10 hit! :(

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 15:36

Back to the 60's again, this is one of my all-time favorite bands...Don't ask me why, but it seems many people liked to play the band's albums on their reel-to-reel machines, as evidenced by the fact that the guy who owned my Teac was a fan and I've seen their reels elsewhere...This one ABSOLUTELY should have been a Top 40 hit and I don't know if Enoch Light's Project 3 label just couldn't compete promotion-wise or if there were some other factors, but their first album is GREAT! =D>

Very influential group, too...While I love all of their albums, these are some standout tunes...

Ironically, they note in "2002 - A Hit Song" that "there's just one fact that we can't quite shirk...we did all this last time, and it did not work."

Still, I love their music with a passion! Light In The Attic has reissued all of their albums, so make sure to check them out, if you like their sound! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 16:10

Another folksy band that has that harmony is the great Devonsquare...Ahmet Ertegun heard them, loved them and signed them to his Atlantic label, but I guess by 1988, this sound was not in vogue...

Still, they are a favorite of mine and should have seen at least some Top 40 success somewhere...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 16:19

Now, here's one that was MADE for radio because it's ABOUT radio! I have the full theme on a 45' and I've often wondered why this wasn't as big a hit (It only made it to #65) as the TV show it came from... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 16:27

Enjoy those, guys...I'll have more to come! :D

In the meantime, if any of you guys have a few more favorite "shoulda-beens" that you think deserve a little extra recognition, feel free to add them here! =D>

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 13 Jul 2019 20:20

Here's one for you VM , and a true story ... myself and a good friend called Dave were trying out a few local pubs in our town way back in the late 70's , now Dave was a Roxy Music fan and found this on the b-side of the single 'Love Is The Drug' on the juke box!

Anyhow Dave insisted on playing it non-stop several times , much to the annoyance of the landlord Rob and a few locals ... so much so that he turned the juke-box off and asked us to leave!

And just to finish off the story ... I was Dave's best man in about 73 (or so ..) and about 10 years later Rob's best man too! ... funny how thing work out sometimes ...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 03:44

Very good, Pikey...I like that! You just never know how things will turn out, either! :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 03:49

Anyway, I thought I should post one for you hard-core classic and folk rockers now...Here's a band that definitely should have gotten more airplay! Ladies and gentlemen, "Lake Shore Drive" by Aliotta, Haynes & Jeremiah! :mrgreen:

It was featured on the "Guardians Of The Galaxy" soundtrack, so someone must have been listening! :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 03:53

Back to some jazzy funk, here's a sunny collaboration between the great Al Jarreau & Britain's Shakatak that wouldn't have sounded too out of place on the radio in 1985...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Jul 2019 03:57

Here's one from Mrs. Michael McDonald, Amy Holland herself...She was awarded "Best New Artist" at the 1981 Grammys, mainly for her hit single "How Do I Survive?", but I think this one would've sounded fine on radio...