It should have been a hit!!

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: It should have been a hit!!

Post by vinyl master » 08 Aug 2019 18:09

I'd also like to showcase a few solo tracks from lead singer Philip Bailey...

He was an "easy lover", but maybe they didn't love him back? :-k

The man's got my vote for President anyway... :wink:

Well, at least The President Of Smooth And Funky Soul! 8-[

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 08 Aug 2019 23:18

Having finally caught up with listening to this musical odyssey between interruptions, and with the help of countless cups of mint chocolate chip coffee (an accidental, but tasty discovery), at least a few previously unknown songs and artists may eventually get added to my collection, or want list. Besides many others I've enjoyed hearing, some that I had noted down of unknown familiarity or interest in the last 12 or so pages were; Survivor with "Across the Miles", The Eurhythmics, a couple by Abba with Hole in your Soul, and The Day Before You Came, Howard Jones with Rubber Morals, Roy Orbison & California Blue, a few each by both Louis Prima and especially Louis Jordan, Sheryl Crow, REO Speedwagon with "Time for Me To Fly", James Taylor and "That's why Im Here", Donna Summer with "Lost Love" and "Love Is In Control", Kelly Clarkson, Clyde McPhatter, Hall & Oates with albums H2O & Private eyes, even King of El Paso by Boz Scaggs, the Stray Cats, John Farnham, and a few others I cant quite make out the writing. Even a Smokey Robinson song, "Open" while I'm not sure the same song, reminded me of a familiar rhythm I heard on someone's album 35+ years ago, and am still longing to rediscover. And remember, these are just what I managed to write down. As I counted about 95 songs on page 21, this is definitely a thread to spend several days on, I believe you have created a monster of musical discovery here, VM 8)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Aug 2019 04:58

Well, my friend, THAT'S what I'm here for!! :lol:

I'm all about the sharing of the music, at least the various favorites I've loved over the years, even going back to when I was a kid...My tastes are NOTHING, if not eclectic! :D

And in the words of The Carpenters, "We've Only Just Begun!" :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Aug 2019 05:07

Oh, and definitely add your own "two cents" to this thread, guys, if you can think of any good ones I've missed! =D>

Remember, the main criteria is that each song be either a.) not a Top 10 hit, but should have been, b.) not a Top 40 hit, but should have been, c. not a Hot 100 hit, but should've been, d. a major or minor hit on an another chart or even in another country, but not a hit on the U.S. pop charts or e. an uncharted song, unreleased-at-the-time tune or album cut that had it been promoted better would have been a major smash hit for all parties involved...Remember, too, that in the 70's and 80's (and even 90's), there was a lot of crossover between genres...There were lots of R&B hits that became pop hits (DeBarge, Janet Jackson, Earth Wind & Fire, etc.) and country hits that also hit the pop charts (Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Shania Twain, etc.)...Keep that in mind when noting a few "misses" of your own...

Now, go!! 8) =D>

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Sep 2019 02:49

OK, well, I've just discovered another one that should have been a hit...It was bad enough that it took years for Babe Ruth's "The Mexican" to become a hit, and that happened once Jellybean Benitez got to remixing it in 1984...Well, even more obscure is this 45' that just kills! How this one managed to get swept under the rug is beyond me! :shock:

A "Northern Soul" classic, so enjoy, guys! :D

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Sep 2019 03:22

And since I've been talking up Holly Knight and her band Device, this one could have easily been a Top 40 hit, as well...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Sep 2019 03:38

On another thread, this song was mentioned...It was an Australian hit, but it deserved to be a big hit in the U.K., at least, if not the U.S...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Sep 2019 14:29

Here's one...I'm a fan of The Carpenters' work, but after Karen died, a hole was left in a lot of hearts...Richard tried to fill that hole somewhat by recording a solo album (1985's "Time") and this tune with Dusty Springfield, which became a minor AC hit...

Here are a couple more uncharted ballads from the album...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Sep 2019 06:33

I've talked this band up to death before, but I still don't know why they're not more well-known...They have everything...Soulful and funky melodies, distinct lyrics, hummable choruses and a very laidback, but fun mentality...I think Clyde and Gracie Lawrence deserve more "hits" than misses...Here is a primer, in case you haven't heard them yet...

Here's their latest one, too...

I give these guys so much credit and am a big fan! I can't wait to see what they'll do next! :D

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Sep 2019 07:27

I also wanted to showcase a few more from the 60's that I think got lost in the mix...Enjoy these! 8)