It should have been a hit!!

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: It should have been a hit!!

Post by vinyl master » 20 Jul 2019 18:51

And if we're talking about synth-pop bands, I can't forget The Pet Shop Boys...This one was #1 in the UK, Ireland, Germany and Switzerland, but in Canada and the United States? :-k Totally missed the Top 40!! :?

To be fair, even when the hits dried up here, they CONSISTENTLY had Top 10 hits in the UK throughout the 90's and 00's...They finally had a #1 on the dance charts here with this in 2016...

I guess you call me a "pop kid", too, because I also love the pop hits, but as you can see from all these posts, I know about all the duds, as well... 8-[

To emphasize that point, I'm going back to their 1990 album, "Behaviour" and two that I thought should have done better...

Finally, one more that was a b-side to their smash cover of the Willie Nelson/Elvis Presley standard, "Always On My Mind"...

Again, I still have the cassette single from back in the day... :)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Jul 2019 09:03

There was this group comprised of Leah Kunkel, Renee Armand and Marty Gwinn...The Coyote Sisters! 8)

They had one hit that hit #66 on the charts, but I think it should have done better than it did...

As I mentioned once before, it should have had a better showing in the age of Heart and Pat Benatar... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Jul 2019 09:15

Speaking of Leah Kunkel, she performed this duet later in 1988 with James' brother, Livingston, that I thought should have been a bigger hit...

You may ask yourself who Leah Kunkel is...How about the once-wife to uber-session drummer Russell Kunkel and also, the younger sister of one Mama Cass Elliot!! :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Jul 2019 19:43

Another favorite group is the British Swing Out Sister, featuring the awesome voice of Corinne Drewery and instrumentation from Andy Connell...A great match of two talents! "Breakout" (from 1985's "It's Better To Travel"), quite literally was a breakout hit here and in the UK, but what I wanted to note was the first single from the follow-up album, "Kaleidoscope World"...This was a Top 40 hit in the UK, but did nothing here, although it has that almost-60's feel...

The video for that one was based on the film, "The Thomas Crown Affair"...This next single was only released in Japan, but it actually comes from that film...

Personally, I like Noel Harrison's version...

In 1992, their third album "Get In Touch With Yourself" was released...While their cover of "Am I The Same Girl?" was a huge smash, I wanted to spotlight two more tunes from the album that should've done better...

This one from 1995's "The Living Return" did nothing at all, though, anywhere...

Here's another one that I like the message of and it comes from their 1997 "Shapes And Patterns" album...

Finally, going back to the first album, I'm so glad I was "fooled by her smile"... :wink:

Good stuff if you're a soul-pop and jazz fan! :D

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Jul 2019 20:04

Speaking of SOS, I can't talk about them without mentioning the great Basia, featuring the talents of singer Basia Trzetrzelewska (Tret-sla-lev-ska) and bandmate Danny White, who first worked together in the group Matt Bianco...

Both of these were no-shows on the American charts..."Promises" from their first album, "Time And Tide", was a small AC hit and released as a single, while "Reward" from the follow-up "London Warsaw New York" (their best album IMO) was not even a single...

Should have been hits, though, and fun to hear on the radio... :D

Speaking of Matt Bianco, too, here is one from them that was their most successful single in the UK (#11)...

Another one that should have done better... :(

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 03:44

And then, the trifecta...I can't talk about SOS and Basia and not mention EBTG...Everything But The Girl, featuring the talents of Tracey Thorn and Ben Watt! They had a huge hit with the Todd Terry remix of "Missing", but here are a few more favorites...

This is their first one, a non-album single and Cole Porter cover that sounds very nice! 8)

Later on, they recorded this for their 1990 album, "The Language Of Life"...

Here's a tune from their next one, 1991's "Worldwide" that our Minneapolis natives might appreciate...It did nothing on the charts, though...

Another ballad with a similar fate from the same album...

Anyway, they are just another group with a few hits in Britain that went "missing" on the charts over here... :(

In any case, they "lift me up" when I need it! :D

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 03:59

Now, I'd like to talk about the great Howard Jones...This was a b-side to his 1989 hit, "Everlasting Love"...

I did like "The Prisoner", his follow-up hit, as well, although it only reached #30 on the charts here...

His next album, 1992's "In The Running" only featured one Top 40 hit in "Lift Me Up", but I liked this one as well, although it never charted...

One of his newer songs I like, as well...Maybe his time was up and people didn't like his "new song", but I did! :wink:

Maybe "no one is to blame" except radio and the listening public? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 04:12

In the same vein of Howard Jones is the fantastic Thomas Dolby...This is one from his second album, "The Flat Earth" that is a favorite! 8)

Of course, "She Blinded Me With Science" was the big hit, although I really dug the follow-up...It was his biggest hit in the UK (#17), his native country, but only managed to barely reach #62 here...

Here's another non-album single that came out in 1983...It only reached #80 in the UK and appears to not be a hit anywhere else...

He did write this one for Lene Lovich, too, but it also went nowhere...

Funny, but college radio and music geeks around the world love him... :?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 04:24

Speeding ahead to 2011 for a minute, here is a singer who was known for her duet with Gotye ("Somebody That I Used To Know"), but I wanted to spotlight this nice little piece of pop music here that she recorded solo...It didn't chart anywhere, even in her native New Zealand...

While thinking of Lene Lovich, I was reminded of her... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 04:37

A few other tunes that remind me of the 90's...

Top 10 in Europe, #1 in England, Top 5 in her native Canada and nothing here! :(

Here's one from Andrew McMahon...

The closest thing he had to a hit was this #96 entry in 2014 that referenced his own daughter, Cecilia...A favorite, though!

Here's one that was actually from the 90's, but do you think it did anything here? Nah! Far from it!! :(

It was the opening track to his 1996 album, "Odelay", but we were the real "losers"... :(

Seems he's had a lot of Top 40 hits in England, though... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 04:39

Going back to Jamiroquai for a second, here's another one that sounds great on those hot summer days... :)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 04:45

Going back to Thomas Dolby and Howard Jones, though, I can't complete the trifecta without mentioning Nik Kershaw...The first one just missed the Top 40 here, the second one missed the Hot 100 and third one never charted... :(

Bummer, indeed, because they're all favorites of mine to this day! 8)

Why they weren't hits on "radio musicola" is a "riddle" to me, but "wouldn't it be good" if they were???! :-k :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 04:59

Here's another group from around that time frame...This was a small hit on Billboard (#36) (and I think I know what city they're referencing... :wink:)...

...but their cover of Dennis Edwards' "Don't Look Any Further" only made it to #64...

They did actually name themselves after the film, "Citizen Kane", too! :)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 05:04

Now, here's one out of Canada that I heard one day on CKSY-FM back in the day...

Of course, this remains their biggest hit in Canada...

Their showings here were abysmal, though...Thankfully, there was Canadian radio! :D

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 05:11

Here's another Canadian guy that did nothing here on the charts, but this was his biggest hit in Canada...

For you classic rock fans, though, he did contribute to a couple of James Gang and Guess Who albums...