Stylus Lint

name that tune
PackGuy

Stylus Lint

Post by PackGuy » 01 Jul 2019 19:37

I am hoping for some sage advise on lint accumulating on the stylus. I have been playing a lot of 45s lately and after one or 2 records I have to clean the stylus. I only play the records after I have cleaned them which makes this all the more frustrating. The cleaning consists of my secret formula of Isopryl and Distilled Water. 50/50. Then I add 4 drops of Dawn Soap and 4 drops of Kodak Photo Flo. And then I use a micro fiber cloth. All looks well and I spin it. Then the lint collection begins! I've tried letting the record soak in the fluid before using the cloth but the lint still appears. So, it would appear that the groove is not being cleaned after all? As an experiment I even tried using a toothbrush on a record I had several copies of .. used cloth.. same thing? Any advise on this??

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Stylus Lint

Post by Pauw » 01 Jul 2019 20:57

I have seen something similar to this myself over the years. I had to think about this and this is what I now believe...The cleaning does remove some dirt directly and this can be rinsed away etc.....however some dirt is slower to come off...it is either charged and takes time to have its charge neutralised , then it will come off or is a bit sticky and as the record is played the loosened dirt is scraped off as the record plays ....I believe this is the nature of cleaning by these methods and using a "dust bug" or similar will help collect and remove such dirt......after a few plays the dirt coming off drops off to nearly nothing , just the dirt that falls on the record surface from the air.... :D

ray_parkhurst

Re: Stylus Lint

Post by ray_parkhurst » 01 Jul 2019 21:37

I clean my records faithfully, but my stylus always picks up a little lint and dirt, so I have the habit of cleaning it after each record side. I've correlate this to different cleaning fluids leaving small amounts of residue, which leaves a little bit of dirt and lint behind. Some fluids leave a bit of what looks like grease after a side is played, and this accumulates on the stylus tip. I've stopped using those brands! Usually I can hear when a bit of lint is on the stylus, and am always surprised when I find lint at the end of the side yet did not notice the telltale sonics. Occasionally I'll hear the signature halfway through a side, and end up lifting and cleaning the tip. Subsequent playings of the same record are much cleaner.