Quality of Promo Copies

name that tune
jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Quality of Promo Copies

Post by jdjohn » 20 Jun 2019 01:15

My apologies if this has been covered before. I did a quick search, and didn't see this as a topic :-k

Are radio station promo copies of albums any better/worse than other versions? I'm sure you've seen these...with the white label on the bottom of the front cover, showing the track listing. The ones I have sound pretty good.
IMAG1611.jpg
(73.83 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Quality of Promo Copies

Post by Bob Dillon » 20 Jun 2019 01:20

Any benefit to them vs. a 'regular' copy would be if they are early in the pressing run.

pivot
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by pivot » 20 Jun 2019 02:34

There is no advantage in sonics I have heard. I have purchased several over the years and as far as I know they get no premium in collector pricing.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 20 Jun 2019 02:46

Ok, thanks guys. I wasn't wishing/hoping for any premium value...just hoping they weren't considered inferior. I guess it just comes back to vinyl condition. The ones I've used seem to have been handled gently.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 20 Jun 2019 03:05

I have a small collection of intros, promos, EPs, and novelty offerings by studios and groups. I recognize them solely as being unique to themselves item, with little extra value, and if anything, view them as being an insight to the groups' or individual's sound before they became successful and mass produced. Kind of like a private recital if you would. Just a memento of a point in time, and uniquely interesting on that basis. And almost always overpriced for what they are. Shoulder shrug...

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 20 Jun 2019 17:18

Promos can be pressed anytime in a stampers life, not just at the beginning. The good sound would likely be from good storage and lack of use. Some stations used LPs as a back up or after the singles were worn and not as popular. The other good thing about some promos are sometimes altermate mixes that get recalled or changed before official release. Or the only way you can get a dedicated mono mix in the 1970's. There were Quiex vinyl pressings in the 1980's that are nice too.

pivot
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by pivot » 20 Jun 2019 22:27

Promo LPs didn't just go to radio station but also went to reviews, artists, and various other industry insiders.

poutrew
United States of America

Post by poutrew » 21 Jun 2019 06:45

There is no physical difference between promotional albums and commercial product. My dad owned a radio station in the early 1970's and he encouraged me to help him clean out the storage closet. So, promo copies make up most of my collection of mid 70's and earlier albums. Occasionally, they may have some historical value as a 'sign of the times', as some jackets would be written on, as there would be notes for the DJs on when to start a particular song - some songs would have very long intros, others would have a 'false start', and the DJ would need to know this: occasionally the name of the song would be heavily crossed out, because of profanity... so they can be interesting artifacts in an archaeological sense...

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 22 Jun 2019 09:57

jdjohn wrote:
20 Jun 2019 01:15
My apologies if this has been covered before. I did a quick search, and didn't see this as a topic :-k

Are radio station promo copies of albums any better/worse than other versions? I'm sure you've seen these...with the white label on the bottom of the front cover, showing the track listing. The ones I have sound pretty good.
It is a rather complicate matter on it's own that can't be determined upfront by that. Some releases never even saw a commercial stock release ! Some promotional releases even feature alternate take/mix and then you have the different national pressing plants involved either simultaneously in a release or at different times, each plants making their own mastering templates and stampers...

In the vinyl collector circles there are some nerds out there who like to brag "urban legends" on such matters to justify otherwise the price of such, if rarer indeed, prices paid for some records. But this is only true in some cases and never can be a general rule. Some of the rarest records on the planet (stock destroyed before promotion even) had both stockers and promos simultaneously pressed.

So if ever the promo releases where effectively pressed before the commercial stock issues at a certain pressing plant, they could indeed be pressed "better" with "fresh" stampers. But not all promotional copies were pressed before the stockers. Some records never even got a promotional label and only got either a promo stamp or sticker. How can that determine anything on the pressing quality?

Sinsonido
United States of America

Post by Sinsonido » 23 Jun 2019 22:08

I have a few promo copies in my collection, not many. Some reviewer on Youtube said that promo US pressings of Pink Floyd's The Wall are pressed on quieter vinyl than standard but I don't see how you can make that deduction. Every US pressing I've had of The Wall was noisy anyway, right out of the shrink wrap.

I have a promo copy of UK's Danger Money that sounds amazing, but I have no evidence that it sounds better than any other Sterling press.

I have US promo copies of both Islands and Lizard by King Crimson. Both of them are noisy. My standard pressing of Islands (all mastered by George Piros) is almost eerily quiet compared to the promo. Even the "Invisible Coda" is surprisingly silent, which is unusual.

I'm sure none of this tells you anything.

P700DEE
England

Post by P700DEE » 24 Jun 2019 11:28

I have quite a few Promo copies of albums as I was lucky enough to buy them in Gravesend market , second hand off a stallholder who bought them every Friday night of reviewers and at Record and Tape Camden. As new release albums they are definitely first pressings, often with the additional release info pics etc. They certainly sound better than later pressings and In my opinion are worth more than a standard issue. In some cases (Pink Floyd The Final Cut) I had my copy 2 weeks before it was released to the shops.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 24 Jun 2019 13:53

Cool thread.... I have some (not many though) promo copies and they all sound very very good. The best of the batch is ABACAB Genesis which I found still sealed with a local AM radio sticker fixed to the jacket- and a 'not for resale' sticker on the back of the jacket. The other promo's found in various places are mostly (for some reason) Peter Gabriel LP's and they sound great too.