interesting article

name that tune
cary114
United States of America

interesting article

Post by cary114 » 09 Jun 2019 05:05

Hi I enjoy looking and reading old Audio and Hi-Fi magazines and came across the April 1976 issue of Hi-Fi. In it were two articles I found educational. The first was "1951 Pop Music at a Crossroads" and the second is "Creating the LP Record". Creating the LP record I found fascinating in it tells a history from the business perspective side of the development of the LP. You can find the first article on page 71 of the PDF reader and the second follows after the first.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ar ... 976-04.pdf

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: interesting article

Post by rewfew » 09 Jun 2019 15:03

Thanks. That was interesting. Of note was the waning of record sales in the 30's due to radio's popularity. The main impetus seemed to be getting classical music to fit into a format that would keep it from being broken up midway to flip the record over. So it was a technical challenge in materials and hardware, (including lighter tracking pickup's) to get it all to come together. Those old ads for turntables, receivers, speakers etc., that's what is being discussed here some 4 decades later. The publications from this era seem much more comprehensive to the history and development of the music industry as well as critical investigation towards what constitutes great sound.

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 09 Jun 2019 15:40

Cool - thanks for that link. Just what I'm interested in at the mo'. Love Pickering's ad. on page 2 - "It's the least expensive way to make the greatest improvement..." - some things don't change! We all like a big bang for the buck! :-)
If this is the sort of thing that floats your boat, you might also like this book by Simon Napier-Bell, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Vinyl-Wh ... way&sr=8-1 , erstwhile manager of, amongst others, The Yardbirds, Marc Bolan & Wham!. "Hmmm...", you're thinking - "this all sounds a bit niche to me." but don't despair - the first couple of chapters set out a back-drop for a good understanding of the UK record industry, from the '50s through to the present day...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 09 Jun 2019 21:06

rewfew wrote:
09 Jun 2019 15:03
Thanks. That was interesting. Of note was the waning of record sales in the 30's due to radio's popularity.
And the Great Depression. I think the G.D. was the bigger reason records sales plummeted in the early-mid 30's. Records rebounded big time in the 40's, pre-invention of the LP and still competing with radio.

That issue had several very good articles. I saved it.

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 10 Jun 2019 00:38

Thanks for posting the link - it lead me to https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Hi ... gazine.htm and https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Hi ... Review.htm. These could keep me busy for months....

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 10 Jun 2019 03:27

cary114
United States of America

Post by cary114 » 10 Jun 2019 04:01

I have also enjoyed reading Billboard. It is a real eye opener how not just music tastes that have changed over time but entertainment overall have changed. From vaudeville to mechanical machines to phonographs to radio to movies to TV to home theater to streaming. It is just so fascinating.

Simonineaston, Well it is expensive over here for that book. But your Amazon on your side of the pond has a kindle version were ours does not. I wonder if copyright laws would let me buy it from Amazon UK and download it to my e-reader?

Cary