Assorted musings

name that tune
philbrown
United States of America

Assorted musings

Post by philbrown » 05 Jun 2019 18:29

There's a TV program called How It's Made and this Sunday it was how records are made, from coating the master lacquers to pressing.
The round plastic thing you're playing is the result of a very complicated industrial process. I won't go through it but at any one of many points the process can go horribly wrong. It's a bit like the dancing elephant. It isn't that he dances well, it's that he dances at all. Not only is the process that made it complex the physics involved is complex as well. Problems always occur when energy changed from one form to another and this change happens many times to get that music into your living room.
Let's go through this.
First, acoustic energy is changed to electricity by the microphone. That's tough, as evidenced by the vast number of mics made. Then a minor change turns it into magnetism at the tape recorder. Playback turns it back to electricity. Then the lathe turns it into mechanical energy. That's right, a phonograph disc is a mechanical form of energy storage. Then the playback cart turns it back into electricity again before the speaker returns it to acoustic energy. Again, how many different speaker designs are there?
That's a minimum of 6 changes in energy state. Just think about how tough that is and the effort we go to to perform all those operations with a maximum of fidelity to the original sound.
A lot of posts here talk about the problems that happen but really, it's amazing that the process works as well as it does.
Phil Brown

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Assorted musings

Post by Bob Dillon » 05 Jun 2019 18:37

Maybe this was the program : https://youtu.be/Pn1r2-t59gA

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 05 Jun 2019 18:45

The program was a bit more modern than that but the basic processes have remained the same for more than a century.
Phil Brown

music_mota_beer
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by music_mota_beer » 05 Jun 2019 19:56

Musings.
I like stories about mechanical processes.
A favorite followed sugar beets from a field through a refinery.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 08 Jun 2019 00:14

I frequently watch How It's Made. I saw the one where they showed how the MBL Radialstrahler speakers are made.