Insert questions

name that tune
zacrobmer
Germany

Insert questions

Post by zacrobmer » 05 Jun 2019 10:36

What do you guys do for new album inserts, when dealing with older odd sized jackets?

For instance Frank Sinatra's The Voice (CL 743) or Sings Only for the Lonely, both have jackets that are about 3/16“ smaller then newer (even early sixties) albums.

I have been slicing off about 1/4" of the opening side of new sleeves so they will fit.

Are there correctly sized inserts for these older albums? Or is best just to modify sleeves as I have been doing?

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Insert questions

Post by Bob Dillon » 06 Jun 2019 01:08

I use the common paper inners with the rounded off corners to replace old sleeves if they are missing or in disrepair. They don't pose a problem with 1950's LP's for me.

zacrobmer
Germany

Post by zacrobmer » 06 Jun 2019 05:51

Thanks I'll pick up a pack of the rounded corner inserts.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 06 Jun 2019 18:19

If you're going to the trouble to replace a liner why would you not use something better than the original paper liner?

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 06 Jun 2019 18:27

Maybe he needs to be economical.

New paper is fine for common old records, if the original paper is torn, stained, moldy or AWOL.

zacrobmer
Germany

Post by zacrobmer » 07 Jun 2019 09:59

JoeE SP9 wrote:
06 Jun 2019 18:19
If you're going to the trouble to replace a liner why would you not use something better than the original paper liner?
I am using poly lined paper sleeves. Which may be some of the issue, as they are slightly thicker than the stock liners.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 07 Jun 2019 20:14

I tend to use round bottom antistatic sleeves like MoFi, Nagaoka or Sleeve City. Not only for these jackets but for early Canadian RCA Victor jackets that had a rounded insert to stop a square sleeve going inside. I think they sold either without inner sleeves, or came with rounded plastic bags. This practice seems to have ended around 1954. The rest get poly sleeves from Bags Unlimited or EJ Bags. I am not sure which as I buy at my LRS and they haven't told me which yet.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 07 Jun 2019 21:57

I used to buy sleeves from RS. Unfortunately their collapse has put an end to that. Lately Bag's Unlimited, Mobile Fidelity or Sleeve city have been my sources.

zacrobmer
Germany

Post by zacrobmer » 08 Jun 2019 08:34

circularvibes wrote:
07 Jun 2019 20:14
I tend to use round bottom antistatic sleeves like MoFi, Nagaoka or Sleeve City. Not only for these jackets but for early Canadian RCA Victor jackets that had a rounded insert to stop a square sleeve going inside. I think they sold either without inner sleeves, or came with rounded plastic bags. This practice seems to have ended around 1954. The rest get poly sleeves from Bags Unlimited or EJ Bags. I am not sure which as I buy at my LRS and they haven't told me which yet.

Are you taking about the half round sleeves like the Nagaoka NO. 102? I've never used them. I've seen those occasionally and didn't even think about them as being a option, I'll look into getting a pack of them.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 08 Jun 2019 09:30

zacrobmer wrote:
08 Jun 2019 08:34
circularvibes wrote:
07 Jun 2019 20:14

Are you taking about the half round sleeves like the Nagaoka NO. 102? I've never used them. I've seen those occasionally and didn't even think about them as being a option, I'll look into getting a pack of them.
Exactly. They can be easily bought either locally or by ordering online from many sources.