Why do you think vinyl has come back?

name that tune
Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Why do you think vinyl has come back?

Post by Issuesman666 » 05 Jun 2019 15:04

In the ending of 80's and 90's I kept all my records. From 1997 to 2014 I put them away and stuck to cassettes and CD's.To this day I love them all and play most of them(except the ones I overplayed back then).I have always been fascinated by records but the same is true for me for tapes and CD's. Instead of arguing about formats and pushing non scientific drivel like many do on this forum I appreciate and love the music more than the format it is stored on. I will continue to buy CD's as long as they are cheap.

Hi resolution and low resolution digital and streaming is the future and many geezers and grandpas fight the new technology to their last breath. Me? I welcome great sounding music on ANY FORMAT.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 05 Jun 2019 22:11

Whatever works best, even it was an 8-track cartridge.

I welcome the plethora of options available to-day.

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Issuesman666 » 05 Jun 2019 22:41

Bob Dillon wrote:
05 Jun 2019 22:11
Whatever works best, even it was an 8-track cartridge.

I welcome the plethora of options available to-day.
Before my time.

But if I had them I would play them it they are in good shape.

Pure_brew

Post by Pure_brew » 06 Jun 2019 02:35

vinyl master wrote:
05 Jun 2019 05:50
You make some good points, Pure_brew...And I like that you're also into refurbishing the old beasts...How many would you say are in your collection or how many have you worked on...average??? What is your favorite turntable or top models and which ones have been the most challenging? :-k
I currently have 6 turntables and have been through about that many more over the past ten years - roughly. As far as something I actually did any work on, I'm running at about a turntable every year or two.
Nothing really high-end to speak of:

Garrard Lab80:
Latest acquisition and pretty excited about it. Seems I can play just about everything on it and enjoy. Still to sort out the idler in terms of something a bit more perfect. Unusable freebie from a record store owner - up and running over a weekend. Daily driver right now. M97xe/JICO SAS.

Garrard Type AII: Spent tons of time over the years messing around with this. It kept being put into rotation because it just sounded so nice to me. All the time spent on it made it much easier for me to work on the Lab 80.

Technics SL-1800: Not much work needed, Crusty tonearm - as if it was stored upside down an damping fluid leaked all over. Hard to deny the speed stability and low noise level. Usually just sits around though.

SOTA Moonbeam: Got this new from a dealer/friend when I thought throwing some money at a better turntable would provide a better experience. I was wrong.

Garrard SP25 mkV: Fail. Stripped down, put back together a few times, tried to fabricate a broken part on the tonearm. New belt. Too much wow/flutter. Shelved. Looked it over again briefly and the headshell wires crumbled - back on the shelf.

Technics SL-Q5: sitting around since I got it 6 years ago. Needs a mat and probably not much more.

The biggest job for me was a Perpetuum Ebner REX I believe it was called. Motor parts were corroded, the multiple belts were gone, caps and such needed safe replacements and re-fit. Idler was fine amazingly enough. Ended up going to a jewelry store to get some silver rod to make replacement cartridge connector that were falling off. When I was done - it was hard to believe how well it seemed on speed stability, and how good the old mono crystal cart sounded when I put it back in my friends console. 8 GRAMS VTF.... :shock:

Pure_brew

Post by Pure_brew » 06 Jun 2019 02:43

plyscds wrote:
05 Jun 2019 08:39
In my area, when 1989 arrived, all the vinyl, it's playback gear, and it's sustainability support system vanished. You got laughed out of hi-fi stores if you asked for anything to do with record playing.
Made me think of this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvswW6M7bMo

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jun 2019 02:58

Pure_brew wrote:
06 Jun 2019 02:43
plyscds wrote:
05 Jun 2019 08:39
In my area, when 1989 arrived, all the vinyl, it's playback gear, and it's sustainability support system vanished. You got laughed out of hi-fi stores if you asked for anything to do with record playing.
Made me think of this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvswW6M7bMo
We've discussed that sketch before here! Very funny and sadly, for some, true! #-o

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jun 2019 03:16

Pure_brew wrote:
06 Jun 2019 02:35
vinyl master wrote:
05 Jun 2019 05:50
You make some good points, Pure_brew...And I like that you're also into refurbishing the old beasts...How many would you say are in your collection or how many have you worked on...average??? What is your favorite turntable or top models and which ones have been the most challenging? :-k
I currently have 6 turntables and have been through about that many more over the past ten years - roughly. As far as something I actually did any work on, I'm running at about a turntable every year or two.
Nothing really high-end to speak of:

Garrard Lab80:
Latest acquisition and pretty excited about it. Seems I can play just about everything on it and enjoy. Still to sort out the idler in terms of something a bit more perfect. Unusable freebie from a record store owner - up and running over a weekend. Daily driver right now. M97xe/JICO SAS.

Garrard Type AII: Spent tons of time over the years messing around with this. It kept being put into rotation because it just sounded so nice to me. All the time spent on it made it much easier for me to work on the Lab 80.

Technics SL-1800: Not much work needed, Crusty tonearm - as if it was stored upside down an damping fluid leaked all over. Hard to deny the speed stability and low noise level. Usually just sits around though.

SOTA Moonbeam: Got this new from a dealer/friend when I thought throwing some money at a better turntable would provide a better experience. I was wrong.

Garrard SP25 mkV: Fail. Stripped down, put back together a few times, tried to fabricate a broken part on the tonearm. New belt. Too much wow/flutter. Shelved. Looked it over again briefly and the headshell wires crumbled - back on the shelf.

Technics SL-Q5: sitting around since I got it 6 years ago. Needs a mat and probably not much more.

The biggest job for me was a Perpetuum Ebner REX I believe it was called. Motor parts were corroded, the multiple belts were gone, caps and such needed safe replacements and re-fit. Idler was fine amazingly enough. Ended up going to a jewelry store to get some silver rod to make replacement cartridge connector that were falling off. When I was done - it was hard to believe how well it seemed on speed stability, and how good the old mono crystal cart sounded when I put it back in my friends console. 8 GRAMS VTF.... :shock:
Hey there, Pure_brew...Our own DasherF just got a Lab 80 of his own, so he might need some pointers from you at some point! :-k

I will say that I haven't owned one of those beasts, but I've been considering getting into a Type A of some sort at some point...An RC-210, RC-121. RC 88/4 or even a 4HF could also be something I could wrap my head around, but it has to be the right one at the right price! Right now, I only have the one Garrard, the 74M, but it's been a fun machine and I might have some cool plans for it down the line...33 is my magic number now...The Dual 1226 was the first one, and four more Duals followed, a 1009F, 1009SK, a 1019 and recently, a 1219 obtained here on VE (from our good friend BMRR) for my vinyl mentor (the man and one-time co-worker who got me back into vinyl in 1999 after a 10-year absence!)! The main vintage system houses a Sansui SR-212 with a Pioneer PL-12D II in the back-up system...I have purchased three Technics in the last couple of years, the SL-D2, a lovely SL-D202 and an SL-D3. Those have been a real change for me, as I was so used to idlers and belt drives and then, all of a sudden, getting into direct drive! All daily driver-worthy, too...I have to try and rotate a few more into the mix...There is a great Elac Miracord 40a, a couple of Harman Kardon T25's, a Philips GA 427 and even my very first machine, a GE Wildcat that my dad gave me from the 60's when I was like 6 or 7 years old! I have a free Sanyo P-33 linear tracker also lying around here, as well, to putz around with that I obtained when buying a Technics CD player off of Craigslist...The rest are assorted, various turntables and record players I'd picked up over the years, but nothing per se to write home about! Still, they've all had a purpose one way or the other...if I were to get another one, though, right now, I'm looking for a sleek-looking balack Scott to go with this Stereomaster 636S receiver I picked up earlier in the year at my local Vintage Electronics Expo...I wrote about it here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 6&t=109674
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 6&t=109675

All in all, it's been a fun hobby and I've really just gone nuts in the last 5-6 years...Most of those have been under $50. The Garrard was $40, the 1226 was $45 from an antique shop, the 1009SK was a Craigslist buy at $45, the Sansui was $25, the Pioneer was $50, the D2 was $50, the D202 was $35, the D3 was another $45 from a local flea market, the T25's were $45 for both locally, the 427 was also from the same antique shop as the Dual at $40 and the Elac was $25 from Craigslist...The 1009F, 1019 and 1219 were a little more, but not over $100 each...The only ones I paid full price for ($100 or so) were a Sony PSXL-250H and a (gasp!) Crosley Cruiser, that I bought in a moment of weakness BEFORE I found this site! As soon as I realized my mistake, I disowned it and it sits in the back of a closet now as a home for spiders! Anyway, I keep looking for bargain deals and have continued to find them in the oddest of places! In any case, thanks for sharing your own story...You are amongst people who share a common trait, which is their love for all things vinyl! Stick around and keep posting, as this site keeps getting more interesting all the time! :mrgreen: =D>

Pure_brew

Post by Pure_brew » 06 Jun 2019 04:22

vinyl master wrote:
06 Jun 2019 03:16

Hey there, Pure_brew...Our own DasherF just got a Lab 80 of his own, so he might need some pointers from you at some point! :-k

I will say that I haven't owned one of those beasts, but I've been considering getting into a Type A of some sort at some point...An RC-210, RC-121. RC 88/4 or even a 4HF could also be something I could wrap my head around, but it has to be the right one at the right price! Right now, I only have the one Garrard, the 74M, but it's been a fun machine and I might have some cool plans for it down the line...33 is my magic number now...The Dual 1226 was the first one, and four more Duals followed, a 1009F, 1009SK, a 1019 and recently, a 1219 obtained here on VE (from our good friend BMRR) for my vinyl mentor (the man and one-time co-worker who got me back into vinyl in 1999 after a 10-year absence!)! The main vintage system houses a Sansui SR-212 with a Pioneer PL-12D II in the back-up system...I have purchased three Technics in the last couple of years, the SL-D2, a lovely SL-D202 and an SL-D3. Those have been a real change for me, as I was so used to idlers and belt drives and then, all of a sudden, getting into direct drive! All daily driver-worthy, too...I have to try and rotate a few more into the mix...There is a great Elac Miracord 40a, a couple of Harman Kardon T25's, a Philips GA 427 and even my very first machine, a GE Wildcat that my dad gave me from the 60's when I was like 6 or 7 years old! I have a free Sanyo P-33 linear tracker also lying around here, as well, to putz around with that I obtained when buying a Technics CD player off of Craigslist...The rest are assorted, various turntables and record players I'd picked up over the years, but nothing per se to write home about! Still, they've all had a purpose one way or the other...if I were to get another one, though, right now, I'm looking for a sleek-looking balack Scott to go with this Stereomaster 636S receiver I picked up earlier in the year at my local Vintage Electronics Expo...I wrote about it here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 6&t=109674
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 6&t=109675

All in all, it's been a fun hobby and I've really just gone nuts in the last 5-6 years...Most of those have been under $50. The Garrard was $40, the 1226 was $45 from an antique shop, the 1009SK was a Craigslist buy at $45, the Sansui was $25, the Pioneer was $50, the D2 was $50, the D202 was $35, the D3 was another $45 from a local flea market, the T25's were $45 for both locally, the 427 was also from the same antique shop as the Dual at $40 and the Elac was $25 from Craigslist...The 1009F, 1019 and 1219 were a little more, but not over $100 each...The only ones I paid full price for ($100 or so) were a Sony PSXL-250H and a (gasp!) Crosley Cruiser, that I bought in a moment of weakness BEFORE I found this site! As soon as I realized my mistake, I disowned it and it sits in the back of a closet now as a home for spiders! Anyway, I keep looking for bargain deals and have continued to find them in the oddest of places! In any case, thanks for sharing your own story...You are amongst people who share a common trait, which is their love for all things vinyl! Stick around and keep posting, as this site keeps getting more interesting all the time! :mrgreen: =D>
I ran into DasherF over at the Garrard forum - got some pointers myself over there.

Quite a collection you have there! Did a quick scan of all the photos at the expo - very cool!

I'm in the same boat mostly concerning price - I actually turned down a "make me an offer" deal on the Lab80 that was made when I first saw it in the shop. Did I REALLY want another project, even for low cost? And it looked bad...
I actually fixed a Victrola for him -on site as the reproducer had fallen off. $11 part and a little time - $50.00 store credit :D

When I saw him again the Lab80 was heading to the trash apparently and I asked him about it - he kindly handed it over. I think he was feeling a bit more generous because he just racked in a lot of cash for record store day.
Nice to be friendly with your local shop owners!

Anyway - reflecting further on the topic at hand - it can all look pretty cheap until you start throwing money at cartridge upgrades....

And is it me or does anyone find it odd that Shure couldn't find a way to profit on cartridges anymore- in light of this resurgence?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jun 2019 05:24

Pure_brew wrote:
06 Jun 2019 04:22

When I saw him again the Lab80 was heading to the trash apparently and I asked him about it - he kindly handed it over. I think he was feeling a bit more generous because he just racked in a lot of cash for record store day.
Nice to be friendly with your local shop owners!

Anyway - reflecting further on the topic at hand - it can all look pretty cheap until you start throwing money at cartridge upgrades....

And is it me or does anyone find it odd that Shure couldn't find a way to profit on cartridges anymore- in light of this resurgence?
Free is always a good deal, if you can swing it! :wink:

Timing is everything, too! :D

Of course, the cartridges and styli are going to cost a little more...Fortunately, Gary@thevoiceofmusic.com is in my own backyard here in Northville, MI. and he comes highly recommended around the world, or at least the States here and maybe Canada! The key is to buy the equipment cheap if it looks to be of good quality...One can always find any missing parts at organdonorparts.com or on EBay. Sure, the cartridge upgrades will make a big difference in the sound...But then again, as our own cafe latte (Chris) has pointed out, even the somewhat lowly AT3600 conical can sound amazing with the right stylus...I've had very good luck in the stylus department, too...BMRR sent over a nice AT91 to go with the 1219 I bought from him...I have a great AT120E/T that I have some great stylus options for...The D202 sports an Ortofon Concorde STD ($20) with an original Tonar stylus obtained through our man Japi Roelofs here and I have a great backup OM10 stylus from member andybeau...It is great when members can help each other out and I try to return the favor when I can...With Gary, I've bought a lot of replacement styli, too, and his prices are quite fair! One of our posters, Mr. James Lauffer even sent me some really great Dual accessories, including an Empire 2000E/III and a Pickering XV-15 cartridge...I wrote about THAT "treasure trove" here!

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... p?t=101279

Gary helped with styli on those, too! And then, there was BMRR's spare AT95C and an Ortofon FF10xE...So many lovely cartridges over the years, but my favorite is still the Shure M91ED...I've used it to success with a few of my tables...I have a couple Realistic-branded Shures, too, like my R27E (Shure M75 clone) on my Elac...I'll admit I have to give the others some extra playing time, but at least I have a turntable and stylus for every occasion...It's a lot of fun to mess around with these and listen to the differences...

And yes, you're right...I also find it odd that Shure couldn't keep things going...Maybe if this audio and vinyl resurgence plays on, they'll have to rethink that decision or let someone else take over that operation...I'm "shure" :oops: their other products are great, but notice that when people talk Shure on this site, they don't talk about anything else but Shure cartridges...THAT alone should tell them something! :?

Oh, and by the way, I didn't mention my oldest "project" so far...An RCA Victor 9-JY from 1948 with the perfect "Golden Throat" 9-x-561 model radio that the phonograph can plug into...Here's a pic from when I got them...Nice combo for the old 45's, eh? :-k

Peter Galbavy

Post by Peter Galbavy » 06 Jun 2019 11:20

You will not find one single reason, there are many different influences over different groups of people.

For me it was the availability of a better set of equipment re-fired my love of the format and triggered my new purchases on top of the small collection I still retained. Since then I have appreciated the ritual, the change of pace and attention required to play one whole side of an album and the "hobby" aspects of acquiring, collecting, cleaning, cataloguing over and above the music listening.

For others, especially the "hipsters" we've seen expand with the social media boom there seems to be a need to be seen to be different. And while many quickly move on to the next trend a good proportion find themselves actually appreciating the experience. Certainly among a number of the "youth" I know.

Then I think there is also a quiet rebellion against the forced adoption of streaming services by most households / families - some people in those situations get frustrated and bored and long for a golden age of music (and radio, TV etc.) and this doesn't appear to be age related.

Pure_brew

Post by Pure_brew » 06 Jun 2019 13:30

vinyl master wrote:
06 Jun 2019 05:24

Nice project! Even though I just worked on that Lab80, and am still making adjustments - I'm actually on the downward slope of bringing things home. I have an Atwater-Kent 72 console radio sitting in the corner of the dining room for example, non-working since I brought it home, and the wife is wondering if I'm going to do anything with it....

I've done business with Gary in the past too.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jun 2019 14:46

Pure_brew wrote:
06 Jun 2019 13:30
vinyl master wrote:
06 Jun 2019 05:24

Nice project! Even though I just worked on that Lab80, and am still making adjustments - I'm actually on the downward slope of bringing things home. I have an Atwater-Kent 72 console radio sitting in the corner of the dining room for example, non-working since I brought it home, and the wife is wondering if I'm going to do anything with it....

I've done business with Gary in the past too.
Maybe it's time to bring even that Atwater Kent out of the shadows there, Pure_brew??? :-k Our own Big B5515 happens to be very familiar with these old radios and consoles...As is Coffee Phil...Enough that we have a thread going on them...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 50&t=81914

For my part, as I mentioned in that thread, I have a young friend and radio repairman extraordinaire and aficionado Chris who is an expert on these old radios and I've parted out the work for him to do...The man literally has 800+ old radios in his collection and avidly fixes them when he's not at his other job...I spoke about him here, too...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=82372

As to his other job, take a look at this...Here's Chris...

...but check out where he works for a living! By night, he fixes radios and old TV's...By day, he's working on classic cars as their top technician! You can even see him on that video at the end...

More here, too!

Pretty wild, eh??? 8)

By the way, that's another reason to love vinyl...If you're a student of history like Chris or myself, vinyl just holds an attraction like nothing else and allows you to go back in time with the various formats! The oldest record I own was this for a while...A Bessie Smith 78' from around the 20's!

Of course, that was before I bought this one here...A cylinder of the Metropolitan Quartet from 1910!

Of course, I also own a few Pathe records like the ones I mentioned here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=98687

And then, there's my first Edison diamond discs, courtesy of Big B again! :D

Gotta love the variations and different areas of collecting one gets into when they get into vinyl, too! Never gets boring, either! :wink:

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 06 Jun 2019 20:15

Peter Galbavy wrote:
06 Jun 2019 11:20

Then I think there is also a quiet rebellion against the forced adoption of streaming services by most households / families - some people in those situations get frustrated and bored and long for a golden age of music (and radio, TV etc.) and this doesn't appear to be age related.
Not me. Streaming is a great adjunct to continued buying of "physical music product". It can help one hone in and decide what one may want to buy. I also find your assertion of a rebellion a bit suspect since streaming numbers are on a steep rise every year.

There is no golden age of TV that people yearn for anymore. Being forced to watch dumb shows like The Brady Bunch because there isn't much else on the six stations that come in, and you don't feel like getting up to change the channel anyway. Probably not radio either, unless you are a boomer who longs for station after station of FM rock on the dial. The golden, golden age of radio is long past and the people alive who remember now are scant.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jun 2019 21:06

Bob Dillon wrote:
06 Jun 2019 20:15
Peter Galbavy wrote:
06 Jun 2019 11:20

Not me. Streaming is a great adjunct to continued buying of "physical music product". It can help one hone in and decide what one may want to buy. I also find your assertion of a rebellion a bit suspect since streaming numbers are on a steep rise every year.

There is no golden age of TV that people yearn for anymore. Being forced to watch dumb shows like The Brady Bunch because there isn't much else on the six stations that come in, and you don't feel like getting up to change the channel anyway. Probably not radio either, unless you are a boomer who longs for station after station of FM rock on the dial. The golden, golden age of radio is long past and the people alive who remember now are scant.
Just a note to this...I think there may be some young people who secretly regret not being part of the era of a golden age and wish they could resurrect that, even if they weren't even born when the golden age was around...Their parents may have told them how it was when THEY were younger and the kids start yearning for something more than what they're being fed by corporations and today's media...I could be wrong on this, but I think the millennials want something different...Another type of experience perhaps? The streaming is still popular, but WHAT are they streaming? A lot of young people are reverting back to the classics in music, especially rock n' roll...I find this interesting...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... rock-music

Quite a few interesting thoughts there! Of course, in the comment section, "Rock Band" and "Guitar Hero" were also mentioned...I'll also throw in "The Guardians Of The Galaxy" soundtracks! :wink: Quality of the lyrics and experimentation of the times may be a factor...Remember when the 60's kids were rediscovering old folk and blues music? This rediscovery of classic rock could be akin to that also...The Internet, Spotify, YouTube and YouTube's recommendations and algorithms may also have a part to play...It could be, too, that kids long for a rebellion, but today's artists aren't playing countercultural, rebellious music like the artists of the 60s and 70's...All of that may play a role...And then, the countless reissues on vinyl of this music that are much more easily available nowadays in any record store...Being that the kids love the music already, some go the extra mile to want to hear it on the same format their parents would have originally heard it...

Notice that no one complains about this in the classical music world, even though most of the classical music people listen to is by long-dead composers...Why is it hard to imagine that today's millennials want to listen to better (read: older) music than what's force-fed to them nowadays? Notice, too, on all these vinyl videos, the kids are listening to indie bands and obscure artists that the radio wouldn't dare play (The 1975, Grimes, Lana Del Rey and Marina & The Diamonds, anyone?), so they're not getting this stuff from the radio...Discovery MUST be happening elsewhere because I can't recall the last time the radio or TV played ANY of those indie artists...

Keep in mind that many of the mainstream artists who are having hits (Drake, Imagine Dragons, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, etc.) have ALSO put out their music on vinyl, so it's a win-win for anyone championing the vinyl revolution...All of this helps keep the record stores open and the industries that cater to us audiophiles...They might be playing these albums on Crosleys (if they're playing the records at all), but if the record stores can lure the young people in with albums from these popular artists, maybe they'll stick around the store and discover more obscure or older artists...And just maybe, be exposed to better equipment at the same time...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 07 Jun 2019 00:21

Kids have been fed corporate stuff for a long time now, 3-4 generations at least.