Why do you think vinyl has come back?

name that tune

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Why do you think vinyl has come back?

Post by vinyl master » 03 Jun 2019 04:54

It's interesting, too, that they mention in one of those articles about the social aspect of actually browsing the records in a brick-and-mortar store, something that can't necessarily be achieved with MP3's or a digital playlist...

That last article also mentions this...

"According to a YouGov survey of 1,444 people, one in four 18-24 year olds bought a vinyl record in the last month...."

The resurgence is not just a fantasy...IT'S REAL! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 Jun 2019 11:17

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 03 Jun 2019 11:41

The only ones ahead of the curve were the ones who didn't ditch their vinyl at the end of the 80's
Did that, for sure but... I got rid of the stuff I didn't much like (MC Hammer, Kid Creole) and some second sight made me keep the quality items! Phew!

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 03 Jun 2019 12:32

I was listening to less and less music, then, I started buying records again instead of CDs. I guess I prefer music on records.

DS

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 03 Jun 2019 12:46

I play records because it's more fun, it makes me being more involved. It's not a "put CD in and press play". And it's fun to find old records. When I bought my TD280 MkII in the late 80's, my intention was to only play my existing records with it. But now I've expanding my collection, and I bought myself a new Thorens (TD203). :) I have a nice CD sound (Marantz CD 63 KI Signature), clean and clear, but vinyl creates an extra dimension somehow. :)

The Blue Panther
Ireland

Post by The Blue Panther » 03 Jun 2019 13:15

I love vinyl records, the actual disc, the sleeve, the credits, even the inner sleeves, in a way that I could never do with CDs ( someone accurately described CDs as being like office supplies).
Streaming is fine, I use it to find new music or see if that Steamhammer or Jethro Tull album is really as good as I thought back in 1972.
Nothing beats the sound of a good vinyl album . I'm hooked anyway.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 03 Jun 2019 15:20

I'd be playing platters regardless of popularity. I fell in love with turntables as a child. Ogling at the precision machines at department stores. Dreaming of owning them when I became an adult. A requirement due to the money involved to buy them. Being a late comer into cd's confirmed my procrastination. Nothing going on there to keep the platters from spinning. Still I feel the renewed popularity is a fluke. And a confluence of older and younger generations, out of nostalgia, appreciation of hands on music making and visual appeal, and great sound when it is set up well. Hope it plays on like my hero, Texas swing band leader Bob Wills would say. Aaaaaaahhhhh! Let'r ride boys.

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 03 Jun 2019 16:59

For me it’s the challenge of extracting the best sound quality possible out of those grooves. I can do things to make it better (or worse). It’s more interactive and demands active participation from me

For young people... I can’t explain it. Clearly there’s something about the tangibility of owning and playing vinyl vs digital files that’s attracting newcomers.

There’s a large retail store here called Skip’s CD World. The store is half vinyl now. They have plain brown paper “Mystery Bags” of used vinyl priced at 5 for $5 or something like that. You can’t see what 5 records you’re getting. They sell a lot of that.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 03 Jun 2019 18:07

I was just being facetious.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 03 Jun 2019 19:55

vinyl master wrote:
03 Jun 2019 04:36
Bob Dillon wrote:
03 Jun 2019 04:07
vinyl master wrote:
02 Jun 2019 19:10

You know, truedeth...I can really relate to what you are saying...Teaply on the secondhand market (getting their money's worth), so economically it is much more feasible, as well! :D
I don't relate. Those things bring up some bad memories. But your mileage may vary.
I think these are age-related things possibly, Bob Dillon...Certain members may have came up around the same times and will have similar remembrances...Others will have grown up in earlier or later times, so their experiences may not be the same, but ALL are valid! We all have to start somewhere, too...Not saying my own memories are necessarily good or bad, just early ones in my experience...It started me on the path...I learned and progressed to where I am today...Still, I wouldn't give up ANY of those memories for the world...It was just "how it was" back in my day...And I didn't know many people, especially classmates who were into records like me...I learned about this stuff through my cousins, my mom, my dad, my sister, the DJ's on the radio, the clerks at the record stores and later, from my vinyl mentor, who got me back into collecting records again after a 10-year absence...How exactly was it for you, if your memories differ? :-k We all come at this hobby from different perspectives, so I'd love to hear yours! =D> What was life and audio like when you were growing up? What was your earliest experiences with recorded sound? What formats did you gravitate to? Maybe you found music later in life? Why do YOU think vinyl is coming back? Or has it never left for you??? :-k

I'd love to know more and if you guys have any more thoughts on the topic, keep 'em coming! 8)
I am a child of 1970's as well, so I think I followed a similar path as what you're describing.

I still have my old Disney records. Fox and the Hound, Winnie The Pooh and the Honey Tree, Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too, Lady and the Tramp, etc. It's funny, I was thinking about them not too long ago, thinking to play a few. It's been many years.

I've had a record playing machine of some sort since I was old enough to operate one, at three or four years old. First one played 7 " records only. I never did "give up" vinyl. But I got my first CD player (on the layaway plan !) in 1988 with money I earned from my first job and went through a little period where I was ga-ga over CD's. The 1990's were fun times to buy vinyl, I kinda miss it. But in some ways the internet does make more of what you want accessible.

Pure_brew

Post by Pure_brew » 05 Jun 2019 02:09

There is a collective driving the message on a remarkable platform.

The "come back" may not have happened, in my opinion, if it were not for the changes that took place at the end of the 90's and early 2000's, regarding Google, YouTube and the web - like this site for example. Everything that makes this thread possible, easy to find and the embedded content. But I don't think the way records sales are today has the look and feel of the past - or does it...?

I was a kid in the 70's, and like most families, there were records and record players around. If anyone else was around during that time, you might have even had a little stereo/turntable envy, lucky to have your own toy or portable hand-me-down to play kids 45's on. Dad & older brothers stereo was "hands-off". Unless you had a real "audiophile" in your family, you probably wouldn't have seen upgrades either - just the same one system, year after year. Maybe getting the most record play at Christmas time & otherwise radio.

Everyone I knew was just playing what was available because after all, that was all that was available. We lived through cassette fun and convenience and appreciated it's virtues in the 80's via a Nakamichi BX100 plugged into dad's old console.
(Commodore VIC20 computer with a cassette drive...anyone?)

When CD arrived, we hung on to tape due to cost for quite awhile, but then as we got to that, there wasn't any looking back. On the internet- while I've read about peoples experiences, about how bad some CD's were in the beginning, or are- this was far from my experience or anyone around me. To this day, pretty much anyone I know of age, will openly admit that they were completely blown away by the CD experience and gladly put their old media out to pasture.

Even working in A/V stores during the end of the 90's to early 2000's, the vinyl record enthusiast was a pretty rare bird, granted, I wasn't in a "Hi-End" shop, but even still, it wasn't too hard to put together a $20k two channel system of in-stock items and a turntable wasn't part of that purchase. However, since I was an enthusiast of all things hifi at the time, I was certainly curious about playing records again. Reading about the possibility of quality analog playback and those magical looking machines got me thinking, all while people were downloading files from the internet.
Turntable envy all over again?

Well, it's been a bit of a journey, and over the past decade I've been increasingly budget minded. Been disappointed with a few new turntables, finding myself fixing up someone else's rubbish and becoming pleasantly surprised. So playing records for me, and working on turntables has become as much of a DIY hobby as anything else that floats the boat -so the speak. Which is why I LOVE this website and really can appreciate the collective here.

So for me personally, this is a big part of the come back. I will say though I'm not super thrilled about the price increases of everything compared to 10 years ago. And while I'm happy to see shops flourishing, and even more new records - I hate the asking prices for garbage quality records, or leaving things not priced and just looking up prices at eBay at the counter.

I see a lot of folks looking down their noses at the young folks, smart phone in hand with ear buds, but it has been my experience that these kids are listening to a ton of great content, both new and old that are happy to share what they are experiencing if given the time of day - AND, they actually appreciate better quality. Perhaps part of the come back is that physical media purchases in the form of CD just doesn't make a ton of sense now considering what is available online - and if you are going to bother - why not go for the coolest, hippest format there is, which also sounds great, as preached by the internet. These kids already have one of the most amazing pieces of technology in all of human history in the palm of their hands- why wouldn't they want that first?

Peace.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jun 2019 05:50

You make some good points, Pure_brew...And I like that you're also into refurbishing the old beasts...How many would you say are in your collection or how many have you worked on...average??? What is your favorite turntable or top models and which ones have been the most challenging? :-k

I will say that in this disposable age, there is something to be said for keeping this old technology alive, because as you say, if you're going to go after physical media, why not go after one of the coolest and hippest formats ever, which is vinyl! :wink:

Yes, they do have the Internet, downloads and streaming and there's a place for that...I'll play streams/downloads when exercising, for example, from my phone or one of my old MP3 players, but when I need to sit down and have an experience with music, the vinyl wins out every time! 8)

I think the kids see a lot of young people online showing off their vinyl collections and they think, "Hey that's cool! I think I can do that, too!" And with what's available out there now, they can! And as I've proved, getting into vinyl can be done cheaply, even on a budget! =D> And if you're a kid or a kid in college, say, you don't necessarily HAVE a lot of disposable income...Heck, I've spent more money going to a movie I didn't like (I'm counting the popcorn, drinks and snacks, too...) and would never see again than I have buying a turntable which I'll be able to enjoy forever! :D

poutrew
United States of America

Post by poutrew » 05 Jun 2019 07:43

Whatever the reason for records to make a comeback, I think we will see much the same trend also happening to books, and other digital print media. Although it may be more convenient to just download a book off of amazon, I still revel in the pleasure of holding a real book in my hands and not having to worry about whether my e-reader is going to run out of electricity, or if I have hit the wall on the number of downloads I am allowed to have before I need to buy the e-book all over again to avoid being called a thief. My prediction is that the common book will also never disappear, for exactly the same reasons vinyl is never going to disappear.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 05 Jun 2019 08:39

In my area, when 1989 arrived, all the vinyl, it's playback gear, and it's sustainability support system vanished. You got laughed out of hi-fi stores if you asked for anything to do with record playing. In bigger cities with more people to make up a vinyl support buying bloc, there apparently were islands of vinyl playback support. What changed this spotty and isolated support for vinyl layout was the internet. Once the surviving vinyl software and hardware islands' presences were found by internet surfers it became possible to again rebuild and sustain a presence in the vinyl playback community. The internet is literally holding this resurgence together. If it weren't for the two Wal-Marts in my community maintaining a token CD rack there wouldn't be any place to buy them any more. In my home town area there are four non-food things you can be sure to find if there is a need: household appliances, clothes and other household textiles, things for making clothes and other household textiles, and women's makeup. It is the internet which supplies the fun things we yearn for.