Why do you think vinyl has come back?

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Why do you think vinyl has come back?

Post by vinyl master » 02 Jun 2019 06:58

I saw this video in my recommendation feed and Craig of Vinyl TV had some thoughts on the matter...

So, in your honest opinion, why do YOU guys think it came back? :-k

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: Why do you think vinyl has come back?

Post by cafe latte » 02 Jun 2019 08:04

The big sleeves with artwork, physical format, and for me when I tried CD until my Cyrus cd8se CD was rubbish, and even with the Cyrus most of my records sounded better than the CD version. Then having to send my 3k CD player back for repair 5 times showed me the long term problems associated with digital. I recently changed the transport AGAIN myself too. Digital is here to stay especially downloads, but don't think vinyl will fade again either, too many of us like the physical format and love how it sounds.

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 02 Jun 2019 08:41

Long, short: dunno. I was at an event last week, when I was introduced to the photographer who was there to get promo pics, who sported... an Olympus OM1. Now, I'm the first person to agree that the OM1 was a great little SLR, a breath of fresh air when it was launched in the late [Edit: early - that's memory for you...] '70s, but the fact remains that most phones could have done the job, let alone a decent digital pocket camera, with their colossal zoom range and fabulous image quality. Witness the journalist who documented the London Olympics with his iPhone.
While personnally I love the medium, what with the artwork and the potential for great sound, I'm happy to admit a lot of the appeal, for me at least, is based on nostalgia. I'm the wrong side of 60 and indulge in vinyl as a hobby for its own sake and revel in ownership of the sort of equipment that I coveted but couldn't afford back in the day (and ironically, can't hear the benefits of, nowadays...).
I have absolutely no idea why the majority of youngsters go for vinyl, tho...

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 02 Jun 2019 16:00

I think it's coming back because my generation (late 70s - early 80s) grew up playing with their parents records and listening to Disney records and children books on record. I mean we even had cereal with flexidisk on the back of the boxes! Now that my gen is in their late 30s - early 40s we can waste our money on fun things that distract from this hellscape we call everyday life.

bhuston
United States of America

Post by bhuston » 02 Jun 2019 17:03

Did it ever leave? Yeah there was a time when the manufacture of them all but stopped, but it didn't stop me from listening. I, too, am on the backside of 60, which means I've been buying/listening all my life. Albums for me, are de riguer and represent the way I've listened to music all along. I have CD's but only out of necessity of during the time when vinyl wasn't made anymore. I don't have any working CD players anymore, all 5 of them have died and I never bothered to replace the last one. My TT is 39 years old and still going like the day it was born. Analog has longevity...

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 02 Jun 2019 17:21

I think that music has reached a peak in terms of popular interest, and we don't see (in general) the excitement or enthusiasm of new music and music groups. In other words, new music seems to be dead. So I look back at the times when the music was great, and I play and listen to much of that music. I also remember a time when playing music on stereo equipment itself was a joyous occasion. Thus with my current equipment it reminds me of a time when I used to be happy with listening to music.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Jun 2019 18:53

Is it wrong for me to just like the looks of the labels when the records are spinning? :-k Roulette was a favorite one! :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Jun 2019 19:10

truedeth wrote:
02 Jun 2019 16:00
I think it's coming back because my generation (late 70s - early 80s) grew up playing with their parents records and listening to Disney records and children books on record. I mean we even had cereal with flexidisk on the back of the boxes! Now that my gen is in their late 30s - early 40s we can waste our money on fun things that distract from this hellscape we call everyday life.
You know, truedeth...I can really relate to what you are saying...The music is a fun distraction from everyday reality and it recalls a more joyous time in my youth when collecting this stuff was all the rage...A time when Columbia House advertised 11 albums for a penny in the latest magazines...A time when my cousins and sister were all into this music, turning me on to a lot of new groups and artists...A time when Casey Kasem and Rick Dees were counting down the latest hits and me writing them down and wanting to get the latest 45's, cassettes or cassette singles of those hits...A time when the mall had THREE or FOUR record stores like Musicland/Sam Goody, Tape World, Record Time, etc. And here in Detroit, we had Harmony House! :) A time when my mom and dad would take me with them to various yard sales, thrift shops and flea markets and I would pick up cheap 45's on my limited budget...It was awesome! 8) I also recall my parents' record collections and the consoles they played them on...I still have my very first record player, a GE Wildcat from the 60's...

Brings back a lot of good memories for me, playing the 45's and watching the labels spin...I still have most of those 45's, too! My dad gave me the GE and a box of records from the neighbor's trash...I'd held onto my records, but I eventually drifted to cassettes when my parents bought me an Emerson cassette player (Still have that one, too!) and later CD's throughout the 90's...Meeting and talking with my vinyl mentor at a Christmas party held by the company we worked for convinced me to get back into vinyl FULL TIME around 1999-2000 and I haven't looked back in 20 years! Great, ain't it??? :mrgreen:

The only ones ahead of the curve were the ones who didn't ditch their vinyl at the end of the 80's and kept buying new vinyl throughout the 90's...Fortunately, I was able to buy up a lot of the 45's that were issued in the 90's, before the prices started to go up on several of them and the resurgence was at full speed...You can see a lot of great ones from my own personal collection here, along with many more from our illustrious members! =D>

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 95&t=72642

I continue to add them to the collection, although they don't make as many 45's as they used to...Record Store Day has been a good time to get my fix on that, though...Yet, now I can say I have quite a collection of favorites that I can turn to at any time and enjoy, no matter if the Internet/wi-fi is working or not! I think the vinyl is just more reliable, too (unlike an Internet connection), but it's also the ritual, the tangible feeling of it all, etc. Music just FEELS right on the format! :)

I also think that with the comeback of city pop from Japan and retro sounds of the 80's creeping back into popular music (ala Bruno Mars, Lizzo, etc.), the kids today may not have grown up with those sounds but they evince a nostalgia for something they never had or weren't a part of the first time around...Vinyl might be the same way for them and they can claim their own favorite artists on the format...They didn't grow up on the format, but young people have always bucked popular trends in favor of what's cool to them...Vinyl still has this cool factor that no other format has been able to replicate exactly...8) And plus, those teens on limited incomes can still rediscover their parents' collections or find used vinyl cheaply on the secondhand market (getting their money's worth), so economically it is much more feasible, as well! :D

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 02 Jun 2019 20:26

Vinyl never really left, it just lay dormant (OR WITH SLOWED-DOWN RESPIRATION) until the time was right to emerge again!!

rvb
Andorra

Post by rvb » 02 Jun 2019 20:33

You can buy a turntable as a piece of design, a cd player is an ugly box.

You can make your turntable better.

You can hang your vinyl (sleeves) at the wall, it is a nice decoration.

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 03 Jun 2019 01:17

For all the reasons listed, add the nostalgia factor for those who grew up with records.

I was given my first two albums at age eleven for Xmas '67 (AYE and Sgt. Peppers - you do the math) but had a pile of 45s bought with allowance already. Kept the 800+ LPs bought and hauled around through the years, resurrected my boxed up bought-new-in-1978 TT in the early '00s just because and have been spinning vinyl since.

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 03 Jun 2019 01:34

simonineaston wrote:
02 Jun 2019 08:41
I have absolutely no idea why the majority of youngsters go for vinyl, tho...
Other than those who listen to new pop and rock releases that are casualties of the loudness wars I don't either.

New vinyl (from digital masters) cost twice as much as CDs for those who actually buy physical media. I have eclectic taste in music and most anything out of the mainstream on vinyl that's oop (including re pressings) are beyond what I'm willing to pay.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 03 Jun 2019 02:04

vinyl master wrote:
02 Jun 2019 18:53
Is it wrong for me to just like the looks of the labels when the records are spinning? :-k Roulette was a favorite one! :wink:
I used to love the Brunswick 45's spinning!

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 03 Jun 2019 04:07

vinyl master wrote:
02 Jun 2019 19:10
truedeth wrote:
You know, truedeth...I can really relate to what you are saying...Teaply on the secondhand market (getting their money's worth), so economically it is much more feasible, as well! :D
I don't relate. Those things bring up some bad memories. But your mileage may vary.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 Jun 2019 04:36

Bob Dillon wrote:
03 Jun 2019 04:07
vinyl master wrote:
02 Jun 2019 19:10
truedeth wrote:
You know, truedeth...I can really relate to what you are saying...Teaply on the secondhand market (getting their money's worth), so economically it is much more feasible, as well! :D
I don't relate. Those things bring up some bad memories. But your mileage may vary.
I think these are age-related things possibly, Bob Dillon...Certain members may have came up around the same times and will have similar remembrances...Others will have grown up in earlier or later times, so their experiences may not be the same, but ALL are valid! We all have to start somewhere, too...Not saying my own memories are necessarily good or bad, just early ones in my experience...It started me on the path...I learned and progressed to where I am today...Still, I wouldn't give up ANY of those memories for the world...It was just "how it was" back in my day...And I didn't know many people, especially classmates who were into records like me...I learned about this stuff through my cousins, my mom, my dad, my sister, the DJ's on the radio, the clerks at the record stores and later, from my vinyl mentor, who got me back into collecting records again after a 10-year absence...How exactly was it for you, if your memories differ? :-k We all come at this hobby from different perspectives, so I'd love to hear yours! =D> What was life and audio like when you were growing up? What was your earliest experiences with recorded sound? What formats did you gravitate to? Maybe you found music later in life? Why do YOU think vinyl is coming back? Or has it never left for you??? :-k

I'd love to know more and if you guys have any more thoughts on the topic, keep 'em coming! 8)