Early Beatles record

name that tune
DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Early Beatles record

Post by DarthMaul » 25 May 2019 00:40

Does anybody on Vinyl Engine have the first mono pressing of "Please Please Me"? Hoping to get one some day, but I would have to save a lot of allowance money. Expensive as hell for me. If I even think about buying one, it had better be in really good shape. Wasting that much money saved up on a record is bad.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Early Beatles record

Post by Bob Dillon » 25 May 2019 02:23

You mean the black & gold label Parlophone press of this LP, with the publishing credit to Dick James, instead of Northern Songs. That's the real first press. A tatty looking one sold on e-bay for a little under $500 a couple months ago.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 25 May 2019 20:26

Yep. Hoping to score one with few marks if any. Would be tough to get one I'm sure, but I know it can be done. Not attempting it unless I have the money.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 26 May 2019 01:34

I like this album, but I like it in stereo, hard L/R channel separation included. If you can look past that , it has among the most natural sound of all the Beatle records.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 26 May 2019 01:35

Bob Dillon wrote:
26 May 2019 01:34
I like this album, but I like it in stereo, hard L/R channel separation included. If you can look past that , it has among the most natural sound of all the Beatle records.
I prefer it in mono, in comparison.

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 26 May 2019 12:38

I have a tatty gold and black label mono copy, somehow I think it is worth a lot less than the above figures, it's an Australian pressing. Can't work out where the publishing credit is, might be all those companies listed on the label.

DS

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 26 May 2019 20:53

davidsss wrote:
26 May 2019 12:38
I have a tatty gold and black label mono copy, somehow I think it is worth a lot less than the above figures, it's an Australian pressing. Can't work out where the publishing credit is, might be all those companies listed on the label.

DS
The UK ones are the ones that are worth money if in good shape, I believe.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 26 May 2019 21:49

The Australian Gold and Black issue is an odd issue.....I have talked a lot on Australian sites about this and the following emerges.....This issue came out very early in the Beatles history...it seems around the same date as the UK one. It bears Australian song publishers including "Leeds music" and ones comparable To Ardmore and Beechwood....It seems that because Australia was part of The British Empire the Beatles fame was followed there as it happened in The UK and so the Austalian Gold and Black issue was a simultaneous issue with the UK one. It was also clear that it was an Australian issue and not imported UK copies ...it was not around for long and was soon replaced by another issue......The upshot is it is as rare as the UK one and just about as valuable. :D

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 27 May 2019 02:04

Pauw wrote:
26 May 2019 21:49
The Australian Gold and Black issue is an odd issue.....I have talked a lot on Australian sites about this and the following emerges.....This issue came out very early in the Beatles history...it seems around the same date as the UK one. It bears Australian song publishers including "Leeds music" and ones comparable To Ardmore and Beechwood....It seems that because Australia was part of The British Empire the Beatles fame was followed there as it happened in The UK and so the Austalian Gold and Black issue was a simultaneous issue with the UK one. It was also clear that it was an Australian issue and not imported UK copies ...it was not around for long and was soon replaced by another issue......The upshot is it is as rare as the UK one and just about as valuable. :D
I guess I never knew. Must be worth a lot.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 27 May 2019 08:29

It can be worth quite a bit but as is always the case condition is very important.

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 27 May 2019 10:38

Aah well condition knocks the value off mine. Then again, it didn't cost much from memory and I bought it to play so I don't care about the value.

Thanks for the info, interesting. Back then a lot of records were pressed here and this is definitely pressed in Aus, Sydney I think..

DS

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 27 May 2019 12:16

You are welcome.