Scratch Advice

name that tune
Jmoog

Scratch Advice

Post by Jmoog » 21 May 2019 21:42

I recently bought an early pressing of Pink Floyd's Meddle and when putting it back into it's inner sleeve after cleaning I accidently dropped it and it fell in such a way that my pinkie fingernail gouged the entire first side of the record. As you can see the scratch is ugly. However after another cleaning I listened to a bit of it to see how much the scratch affected the record sound wise and I don't really hear it when playing the record. Maybe a slight increase in surface noise here and there but no repetitive scratch clicks or pops where the scratch occurs.

My question is, would I be harming my stylus by playing this record? I plan on getting another clean copy in the near future so chances are I wouldn't be playing this copy often but I don't want to damage my stylus.
Attachments
IMG_20190521_162544665-01.png
(893.8 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Scratch Advice

Post by JDJX » 21 May 2019 22:01

No... it you really do not hear it when playing, it's probably only a surface scratch .
Looking at your pic, it seems like that is indeed what it is.
So, it will not harm the stylus . :)

BTW most of us have dropped, accidentally scratched, etc an LP.
It just serves to reminds us to be a bit more careful . :)

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Scratch Advice

Post by circularvibes » 22 May 2019 02:35

Jmoog, that mark is ugly but harmless except to the $ value of the record. I remember being pleased as punch coming home ith a German 2 LP best of Spencer Davis. The spindle hole was tighter than expected and when I got it off the platter the disc scraped over the spindle. This one was noisy though. Keep in mind that scratches will not harm your stylus, after all the groove is little more than a really big scratch. The only time to worry is if there is enough vinyl plowed out to catch the diamond in its furrow. I had a German Beatles Greatest with a gouge that furrowed the vinyl and lost a diamond to it. After removing the furrow with groove surgery it played for many years to come.