Have you ever discovered a new artist/group and forgot you already had their record?

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Have you ever discovered a new artist/group and forgot you already had their record?

Post by vinyl master » 05 May 2019 05:03

Well, I was watching one of Vinyl Rewind's videos and noticed him talking up a group called The Gene Rains Group...It sounded familiar, so I looked up the album "Rains In The Tropics"...It's pure exotica, but the thing is...I forgot I even owned the album! I looked it up in my personal catalog/database and sure enough, it was there! One of the first ones I catalogued! And then I took a look at what Discogs is asking now for the album on LP...

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?maste ... 1333&ev=mb

...and I thought to myself...I think this was a thrift shop pick-up from way back when or from an estate sale...I can't remember which, but I'm sure I didn't pay THAT much for the album...And yet, now I have a new appreciation for the album I didn't have before! :D

Have any of you ever had an epiphany like this about an artist's or group's album you forgot you already owned? :-k :D

Or were you ever surprised by an album's supposed worth, knowing you bought it cheap years earlier? :-k

By the way, if you want to hear the record, here's what it sounds like...

Of course, YouTube can only do this music so much justice...It's just cool to have it on vinyl! 8)

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Have you ever discovered a new artist/group and forgot you already had their record?

Post by circularvibes » 05 May 2019 07:36

Yup! Elle King was on late night TV. Prolly Conan before he got cut in half. I went out to get the LP. Forgot all about it. Heard the hit song again a couple months later. Guess what, I not only rebought it, I paid 2 bux more! Kept both anyways. Maybe one will be a gift...

VinyldechezPierre
France

Re: Have you ever discovered a new artist/group and forgot you already had their record?

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 06 May 2019 10:15

Forgetting I already have an album (or book for that matter) is why I started my database. :oops: As my late mother used to say: No fun getting old.

As for prices (or is it value?), yeah, some of my albums surprise me when I see them in some record store listings.

But, to be honest, you don't always have to wait years to see prices go berserk. When I first moved back to France, I shipped some albums back to the USA for quite a nice profit. These were european issued albums with covers that had been banned in the USA. :lol: