How do I play and clean a presto record?

name that tune
scrapjack+

How do I play and clean a presto record?

Post by scrapjack+ » 17 Apr 2019 02:47

I went to the thrift store chain clearance center. they had allot of 60's war department 12" transcriptions disks, and in one of the crates was a loose "Presto" record for 25 cents. it has been cut on both sides, though there is still space on the back, and has no labels. I can't find much information on playing it. Do I need a special needle to play this, or will a standard 33 lp needle work? Is there a way to tell what rpm to use without playing it? Apparently the resin is cellulose based, is there any suggestions or warnings about how I should clean this. The etching says "PRESTO RECORDING CORP. . . [unknown symbol] . MADE IN U.S.A." presto was making disks for 30 years, any way I can limit this recording to a specific decade? I hope it's a 12.5 RPM disk.
IMG_3523[1].JPG
(210.32 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
The following are a few notes plagiarized from a few articles.

Presto Recording Corp. started advertising in fall 1934. In 1963 the Presto name was dropped.
Aluminum plate coated with a cellulose nitrate based lacquer (not "acetate")featuring 51 ingredients.
Presto systems weren’t awful: 50-8000hz frequency range, 50db signal-to-noise ratio.
J5 turntables adapted to run at 78, 33 1/3, and 12 ½ RPM, using 12" blanks was designated the EU-7R
A similar unit was produced in 1940 and was designated the 3-D recorder. It operated at 78, 33 1/3, and 16 rpm.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: How do I play and clean a presto record?

Post by vinyl master » 17 Apr 2019 10:17

Interesting you mention Presto, as I found this "glass" record rifling through the stash of my "basement guru", who I've talked about before...An intriguing record, to say the least... :-k

Again, I don't know how related it is, but I'd love to know more about these discs, too! :D

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 17 Apr 2019 18:58

The glass based recording disc was made during WWII, as metals were diverted to the war effort. The recording discs used in professional recording studios at the time were glass based as well.

As for the playing and cleaning if the Presto, does it really need cleaning ? Nitrocellulose can absorb water, so I would be leery exposing one to water. It appears to be a wide groove 78 rpm disc, play it with a 78 stylus, somewhere in range of 3 mil. You'll have to set the speed according to what sounds right to your ear. Could be 78 rpm or it's whatever speed the recorder was running at.

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 18 Apr 2019 16:01

Glass was used during WW2 because the substrates are aluminum and it was needed for more important things during the war.
Phil Brown