Old tape or glue residue on vinyl

name that tune
poor_fricky

Old tape or glue residue on vinyl

Post by poor_fricky » 12 Apr 2019 07:09

I'm sure this is a very common question, but I have an old record from 1965 and towards the end of one of the songs, I notice a very small amount of what appears to be tape, or glue from back years ago.. It doesn't appear to be actual gashes in the record or anything.

What is the best way to remedy this? The rest of the B side is completely fine sounding, but that ending just kind of takes me out of it. It pops loudly once and a few hisses and pops after. I've read about wood glue, but feel like it doesn't do anything. The only method that sounded useful and legitimate was using Polyvinyl alcohol.

Any help is much appreciated.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Old tape or glue residue on vinyl

Post by circularvibes » 12 Apr 2019 08:31

When I was working in a used record store, we used lighter fluid VERY CAREFULLY. It will cause static if not done properly. For a small spot we used a few drops of lighter fluid, allow to soak a few minutes, scrub with Q-Tip or stiff brush in direction of grooves. Wash thoroughly after. Also wash the disc before doing any heavier cleaning. This way you can audition the before and after effects. Don't use any of my sugestions on anything but vinyl. Styrene records might become brittle, acetate discs will become flammable under friction and obviously NEVER ON SHELLAC, it will strip the glossy finish off immediately. We also had Varsol and in a separate bottle, water with a few drops of acetone for severely worn discs. The acetone was a very last resort and was diluted in a 750 mL bottle of water. On a side note, I have discovered one liquid that can never be removed once dry, BEER! It leaves a tell-tale golden stain on the vinyl.

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 12 Apr 2019 09:32

Another suggestion: whereas circularvibes' idea depends, I think, on dissolving the unwanted guest, you could try speading on a glue on that you know won't stick to vinyl, but may stick to the foreign substance, then peel and remove. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVlokpKb8O4

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 12 Apr 2019 12:02

Yes, that is my thought. There is also the wooden toothpick trick, if it is a drop of something solid. I have discovered that as I age my fingernails are getting harder and thicker thereby leaving marks on the discs. I have to resist the urge to pick spots off that way. For tough small spots, I have also used a DJ cartridge or a heavier ceramic cartridge and play to the skip/stick, advance the stylus over one groove and back cue to see if the problem is there backwards. If it isn't, I can go back and forth until the spot is minimised or the groove wall is repaired enough to play through. It is amazing how many tricks there are when one uses them as a habit. I use these tricks as I sometimes find difficult to find discs at thrift shops in lesser condition.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 12 Apr 2019 16:30

There is an orange oil cleaner named Goo Gone. It's makers claim it won't hurt records. I used it once before on a 45rpm record.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 12 Apr 2019 19:05

Do your best to get the residue off of the record. Old records are a joy to play on your tt, but badly damaged albums from dirt or scratches are unacceptable to me. Try using a very good vinyl album cleaner to help get off the residue.

I've also found that if a record is too badly damaged then I'll look to replace it. Some albums are rare, however. Its good to have a secondary system or record player (like the crude BSRs) to play bad records on. With an expensive cartridge and stylus I would not risk playing damaged records and possibly incurring premature wear. Good luck.

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 12 Apr 2019 23:50

Alcohol.
Phil Brown