RSD 2019

name that tune
swbo101
United States of America

RSD 2019

Post by swbo101 » 05 Apr 2019 14:00

Wondering if anyone will be participating at their local stores or if like where I live, is now impossible. I've been going for years, however the last 2 have been nearly impossible. Last year, I drove by and the line outside the store, no joke, at least a couple of hundred people. They are now camping out in the parking lot and outside the night before. It seems that this has now become the day where people, who are looking to make a buck, buy the RSD releases and then post on Ebay moments later of 3x the price. I saw that last year. After I drove by and went home, I checked Ebay and the RSD release of the mono pressing of Piper At The Gates of Dawn was going for around $90. $32 at the store.

Last year was the first time I just gave up. The year before that the line was long, but I waited. Luckily it moved pretty fast. Most of the releases were sold out, at least what I was looking for that year. I get there when the store opens, but I guess even that is too late now. It wouldn't surprise me if some those purchasers don't even own a turntable.

Look, I get it, it's a free country and first come first serve. It's just when you become a regular to a place of business all year round & then on this one day a year I can't even get into the store it sort of defeats the purpose.

Just wondering what others have been experiencing.

Thanks

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Re: RSD 2019

Post by andybeau » 05 Apr 2019 16:02

I don't bother anymore. Look online for any releases I may be interested in (which is getting smaller every year)

gfong

Post by gfong » 05 Apr 2019 17:59

Same here gave up 3 years ago as well. I pass and then look online at Amazon or sale forums for left overs! :) It has just got too busy which is good but bad for me cause I don’t like busy crowded places anymore.

Good luck to the brave ones that make it!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Apr 2019 05:02

I did go last year...I got two or three of my wants, but I'm not sure if I'll go this year...My dad passed last year on Record Store Day, although it's on a different day this year, so it's still raw...That said, the 3" singles from Jack White (4 of them) and one from Foo Fighters strike me as unique oddities...The Beatles fan in me is interested in the "I Am Sam" soundtrack on vinyl and the "Stax Does The Beatles" comp...The Wolfman Jack picture disc of his "Boogie With The Wolfman" LP also looks cool, but I already have the original on Bread Records...The "Soul Slabs" comp of Colemine Records artists also interests me, but who knows? As a fan of 80's music and TV shows, the "Knight Rider" soundtrack is also something I might look for, as well as the "Multiplication Rock" LP...The Louis Armstrong Disney album, the Disco Not Disco comp and the Steve Gadd album also are intriguing...Of course, those are just some of the things that are on MY personal list...Your wants may differ...They even have a picture disc for the "Baby Shark" song! :shock: In any case, you can see them all here...

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases?view=all

I dunno...I might just wait to find those and stay away from the lines...It might just be a "cat fight"...

Of course, I'm psyched that there is a special UK 12" of that song and I'm glad to see (as a Brian Setzer fan) that the Stray Cats are back together for another go-round! =D>

Seriously, though, if I DO end up visiting a shop on that day, I might just spend all my time raiding the dollar bins mining for undiscovered, overlooked gold... :wink:

But then again, I've done quite a bit of that recently, so we'll see...I'm beginning to see that "Record Store Day" isn't JUST one day of the year...It's anytime you feel like going in! :D

bhuston
United States of America

Post by bhuston » 13 Apr 2019 19:32

Survived today's onslaught. Really wasn't too bad but much busier than last year. Most were millenials, very few my age. Which made it easier for me to get what I want. Lavender Vinyl brought in 4 crates of used records. Lots of good stuff there but most I already have. I did find a holy grail though, BOC 1st and Magical Mystery Tour, 1968 release.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 13 Apr 2019 20:09

I got to my local LRS at 6:30 am and there was already 5 people ahead of me for the 8 am opening. I had to call my partner to come and bring me coffee and a breakfast sandwich to tide me over and so that I wouldn't lose my place in line. I blew through over 500 bux on my VISA and my partner didn't say too much. I got the main things on my list of wants except the two blues 78's. There was probably 20+ people in line at opening with more piling in within the first 15 minutes. If I had been rich and could have bought all that I liked from the RSD list, I would have spent over 1200 bux. I like supporting my LRS. While I have bought new records online, I try to get them locally and support the guys who make sure my listening needs are attended to. I would have liked to find one of the little record players but methinks they was a US thing only.

I like going to RSD and don't mind the line ups twice a year. It's nice to still be able to get excited about going to the LRS. I do not care much for the current music, but the reissues can be killer sounding and on cool coloured vinyl or picture discs. I realise that a lot of the titles are "Regional Focus" and limited runs, though it would be nice if RSD would let us know if that area was mine or not. A lot of the better oldies reissues are US only, KWAP! I wouldn't mind being able to give my dealer a list so they could get it for me, but that apparently isn't allowed or they aren't allowed to pick and choose here in Canada or so they say. Yes, I said it, I have a dealer.😏

The coloured vinyl can be a lure, but it isn't the first thing I look for. It just happens to look like candy to the kids I guess. I didn't hear anyone in line talking about the coloured stuff. They were occupied with the titles they wanted. It seems that most were after current titles, which is better for me, I got the only Little Walter copy and a few other good reissues. My Duran Duran Live at the Forum boot is now worthless due to the current legitimate reissue.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 13 Apr 2019 22:11

andybeau wrote:
05 Apr 2019 16:02
I don't bother anymore. Look online for any releases I may be interested in (which is getting smaller every year)
+1

It does seem like the releases of interest are fewer as RSD progresses. Befriending a RSO helps, I get to peek at what's available / quantities setting up and pricing and plan my visit accordingly on Saturday...... :wink:

Picked up a couple today mid day. If you wait a bit, you can find RSD selections online at store day prices (retailers of RSD are limited in MU).

The very limited edition releases are another story...... :? ie Zero 7 10"er...... :(

Fred

greg-60s music hound
United States of America

Post by greg-60s music hound » 14 Apr 2019 05:15

I've never participated in record store day I'm at the record shops all the time it makes no sense to me to wait in line to give my hard earned money to someone when I could go any other day of the year and find what I'm looking for without the hassles
And this year especially i didn't see anything that I felt would warrant dealing with the large crowds at a record store
I think it's a cool concept but like anything else once too many people are involved it becomes an unpleasant experience
Just my two cents

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 24 Apr 2019 20:23

The physical numbers are anemic compared to the old days, trends are up though :-k

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... lbum-sales

Considering this is the 21st century and the choices of delivering / obtaining the software, it's encouraging :)

Keep it spinning

Fred