Getting into vinyl records?

name that tune
lbls1
United States of America

Re: Getting into vinyl records?

Post by lbls1 » 08 Apr 2019 11:01

I've always been into records since I was a toddler. When I was very young I simply played my parent's 45s and one or two of my own. I really didn't have a dedicated record player or turntable of my own until I reached 14 (I did have a toy record player at age 7 though). Even before my first record player, I was buying music at around age 10. Most of my music at that age were cassettes, as that medium was heating up. As much as I loved records, I would only buy an occasional album here or there (most of my music came from recording from the radio on my cassette recorder).

Presently, all of my music comes from purchasing (no more listening to the radio and hitting the record button!). I have bought (and inherited) dozens more records than I did in my youth, thanks to my re-kindled interest in vinyl.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 08 Apr 2019 19:53

I had some funky kind of record player or another of my own from the time I was about four. First one was some yellow plastic job that only played 7 " records. At one point I had progessed to a fold out Magnavox all-in-one from the 1960's that had vacuum tubes. My mom had the Pioneer PL-514 though, that was the preferred way to spin the records when I had the house to myself.

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 08 Apr 2019 19:55

JDJX wrote:
07 Apr 2019 23:41

We are also suffering from "choice overload"
"Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want"
- Devo

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 08 Apr 2019 20:05

zlartibartfast wrote:
08 Apr 2019 19:55
JDJX wrote:
07 Apr 2019 23:41

We are also suffering from "choice overload"
"Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want"
- Devo

It's just irrelevant song lyrics.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 08 Apr 2019 22:04

JDJX wrote:
08 Apr 2019 20:05
It's just irrelevant song lyrics.
No. It's just Devo. And de-evolution was their take on society, consumerism and corporatism in the good ole USA. Wish'd I'd seen them dadaist spud boy's back in the day. But I appreciate their irreverent sly wit even though their music is hard to listen to.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 08 Apr 2019 23:18

Don't get me going on "Future shock"..... and how it effects choices..... :)

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 09 Apr 2019 00:11

A few years ago my wife and I were shopping for some hiking boots for her. We went into the local outdoors store, where she was waited on by a young woman of college age who obviously knew her hiking boots. As my wife tried on different pairs, they got to talking about music - what they listened to, groups they liked. "Hey," the young lady said, "I've just learned of a new group that's pretty darned good. Have you ever heard of the Eagles?"

That story has given us a good laugh several times since then. But beside being amusing, it's also proof that there's always hope for the younger set.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 09 Apr 2019 01:30

That reminds me when some discovered that Paul McCartney of Wings, used to be in a great band called The Beatles. :)

Ear today
France

Post by Ear today » 21 Apr 2019 17:47

A very interesting thread.
"Information overload" has a lot to answer for. Youngsters don't seem to "use" music in the same way we did at that age. We sat and listened to it exclusively, or danced to it, or smoked a joint to pick up on the tiniest detail. Da yoof of today just use it as background to whatever else they are doing at the time. Inconsequential, disposable, unimportant. Much the same as "elevator muzak" or the rubbish we have to listen to while "on hold" waiting to speak to a human on the phone. The favoured artists are revered as much for their gimmick looks as their artistic merit. How can we expect them to seek out proper hi fidelity music reproduction when the music itself is of such little importance.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 22 Apr 2019 16:48

BTW, it anyone saw the movie ""Pirate Radio", it more or less accurately portrayed how important (good) music once was to the masses

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 23 Apr 2019 16:12

I remember it. Russco turntables played a role on the pirate ship. Keeping in mind though, that authoritarian repression played a part in the youthful rebellion making the music being stifled an anthem for resistance. I don't know if the youth today equate the subversive cynical nature of the music industry cranking out it's bland superficial tunes and artists with anything other than a consumable commodity. There's no pressure exerted other than peer acceptance in social media circles to rebel against. I wonder, hope the youth today take personal the economic and environmental inequities being foisted upon them. That may wake'm up to music with more substance. I'm optimistic as, I don't think there's any other choice.

myles

Post by myles » 23 Apr 2019 18:20

The kids will pick up the music at some time in their future, without casting an overly-critical eye for the sake of it. It happens to everyone - just like the carbs, you can't outrun The Beatles, The Stones, Otis Redding, Aretha, Sam and Dave, Chas and Dave; whatever ends up floating your boat!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Apr 2019 01:00

myles wrote:
23 Apr 2019 18:20
The kids will pick up the music at some time in their future, without casting an overly-critical eye for the sake of it. It happens to everyone - just like the carbs, you can't outrun The Beatles, The Stones, Otis Redding, Aretha, Sam and Dave, Chas and Dave; whatever ends up floating your boat!
To your list, I would add Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye...I got this from a teacher once...There were a couple of kids in class talking about rap music and the teacher wanted to know what it was about the rap music that interested the kids so much...They said something to the effect that rap music was telling it like it is, not sugarcoating life on the streets...This teacher, Mr. D, as I affectionately call him, told the kids to check out Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" and Stevie's "Innervisions"...If they REALLY wanted to know what's going on, those ORIGINAL two records would show them the way...And I don't disagree with his thinking...There's a lot of TRUTH on both of those records!

I would also add that Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" continue to be big-sellers, long after their initial debuts, due to the fact that the music and/or lyrics have a timeless quality about them that transcends generations...As long as they keep pressing the masterpieces, kids will keep discovering them! :D

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 24 Apr 2019 01:48

rewfew wrote:
23 Apr 2019 16:12
I remember it. Russco turntables played a role on the pirate ship. Keeping in mind though, that authoritarian repression played a part in the youthful rebellion making the music being stifled an anthem for resistance. I don't know if the youth today equate the subversive cynical nature of the music industry cranking out it's bland superficial tunes and artists with anything other than a consumable commodity. There's no pressure exerted other than peer acceptance in social media circles to rebel against. I wonder, hope the youth today take personal the economic and environmental inequities being foisted upon them. That may wake'm up to music with more substance. I'm optimistic as, I don't think there's any other choice.
Yeah but, the same love of music was in the US at the same time.
Also the same songs were popular the US as well as in the UK.
In fact the UK and US have long shared about the same musical palette. :)

Anyway, the music in question was freely available for sale in the UK. It was just that the BBC could not broadcast it .

So, it had nothing to do with "authoritarian repression" of the music.

myles

Post by myles » 24 Apr 2019 07:50

vinyl master wrote:
24 Apr 2019 01:00
myles wrote:
23 Apr 2019 18:20
To your list, I would add Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye...I got this from a teacher once...There were a couple of kids in class talking about rap music and the teacher wanted to know what it was about the rap music that interested the kids so much...They said something to the effect that rap music was telling it like it is, not sugarcoating life on the streets...This teacher, Mr. D, as I affectionately call him, told the kids to check out Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" and Stevie's "Innervisions"...If they REALLY wanted to know what's going on, those ORIGINAL two records would show them the way...And I don't disagree with his thinking...There's a lot of TRUTH on both of those records!

I would also add that Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" continue to be big-sellers, long after their initial debuts, due to the fact that the music and/or lyrics have a timeless quality about them that transcends generations...As long as they keep pressing the masterpieces, kids will keep discovering them! :D
Oh yeah, my list was not exhaustive! Another way of getting the current generation to listen to 'the good stuff' is to show them where samples in rap/hip-hop tracks actually come from. Some amazing artists can be found just by expanding the samples.
My kids can't escape music as I put a record on when we eat our evening meal every night!