Re: Getting into vinyl records?

Post by vinyl master » 24 Apr 2019 07:53

myles wrote:
24 Apr 2019 07:50
vinyl master wrote:
24 Apr 2019 01:00
myles wrote:
23 Apr 2019 18:20
The kids will pick up the music at some time in their future, without casting an overly-critical eye for the sake of it. It happens to everyone - just like the carbs, you can't outrun The Beatles, The Stones, Otis Redding, Aretha, Sam and Dave, Chas and Dave; whatever ends up floating your boat!
To your list, I would add Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye...I got this from a teacher once...There were a couple of kids in class talking about rap music and the teacher wanted to know what it was about the rap music that interested the kids so much...They said something to the effect that rap music was telling it like it is, not sugarcoating life on the streets...This teacher, Mr. D, as I affectionately call him, told the kids to check out Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" and Stevie's "Innervisions"...If they REALLY wanted to know what's going on, those ORIGINAL two records would show them the way...And I don't disagree with his thinking...There's a lot of TRUTH on both of those records!

I would also add that Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" continue to be big-sellers, long after their initial debuts, due to the fact that the music and/or lyrics have a timeless quality about them that transcends generations...As long as they keep pressing the masterpieces, kids will keep discovering them! :D
Oh yeah, my list was not exhaustive! Another way of getting the current generation to listen to 'the good stuff' is to show them where samples in rap/hip-hop tracks actually come from. Some amazing artists can be found just by expanding the samples.
My kids can't escape music as I put a record on when we eat our evening meal every night!
Absolutely! A lot of great records have been sampled and that's a good starting point...Tell them "If your favorite rapper knows about these songs and albums, SO SHOULD YOU!" :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Apr 2019 18:17

Just so you know, you DON'T need to be a "hipster" to enjoy vinyl records, as Jarrett points out...

myles

Post by myles » 26 Apr 2019 18:29

Hipsters finger the media then bang it on a suitcase with a darning needle transducing the signal.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 29 Apr 2019 04:40

JDJX wrote:
07 Apr 2019 23:41

So, people need less choices, not a never ending list of bewildering choices. More is not always better.
I'm really not sure this is true. There has always been a bewildering amount of choice in music. Most of the stuff I listen to (and especially listened to in the 80s) most people I talk to haven't even heard of. A huge amount of that was self-published, which is not so different that what we see today (it just cost more money to self-publish when you had to have records pressed or tapes duplicated).

There's a whole lot of elitism in regards to what is 'good music' in my opinion. After all, Bootsie Collins has played on Deee-Lite albums, along with Snoop Dog, Buckethead and Fatboy Slim, and why wouldn't he? (yet I've heard people talk about how trite they were, but lauded Parliament.. go figure).

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 30 Apr 2019 03:24

I'm really not sure this is true. There has always been a bewildering amount of choice in music

This is true.
However, the problem now is, it's basically all available at once ..

for examples ...
The was a time when juke boxes only had about hundred songs on it via 45s .
Now they can accesses over 10,000 songs.

Don't forget home streaming music that can access about any song.

This is far from just my opinion..
Just Google "choice overload"