Post by vinyl master » 05 Apr 2019 03:26

Then watch this!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Getting into vinyl records?

Post by vinyl master » 05 Apr 2019 03:28

If you've been into the hobby awhile, Matt talks with our friend Vinyl Geek Eric at Vinyl Rewind a little deeper on the topic of record collecting...Some interesting thoughts come up in the conversation...

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 05 Apr 2019 23:38

Fact is many of the younger generations think nothing of spending $1,000+ on a smart phone and ridiculously high monthly fees to support it .

Then, they think just spending few hundred on a relatively good vinyl system just means that it's an elitist hobby (as the video alludes to) that they want no part of .
After all, to them, their ear buds sound just fine listening to You Tube videos .... and nothing that came before them can not possibly be better than that .

Having said that.. we all had to learn what good audio really was at one point in our lives .
However, I suspect the they might never learn this lesson .

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 06 Apr 2019 04:50

BTW, if you want to hear some very revealing things about some of the younger generations, listen to the multitude of their so-called "reviews" of older songs on YouTube.
These are the ones where it is supposedly their very first exposure/ listen to theses songs.

They seem to be confused by songs that is not a drone on a one or two chords with a monotonous beat.

Often, they will only l listen to about the first 10 seconds of a song, pause it, saying that they not understand the song

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 06 Apr 2019 14:32

JDJX wrote:
06 Apr 2019 04:50
Often, they will only l listen to about the first 10 seconds of a song, pause it, saying that they not understand the song
Fair to say their lack of understanding is based on a basic lack of reflection via the standards of modern pop music. Made to algorithmic standards for peripheral consumption. I'm hoping in time the luster of social mediums and the music tailor made to it's banality will fade. Hopefully towards a shift back to substance. I can't imagine something worse.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 06 Apr 2019 17:46

Then you have the multitudes of the so- called "reviewers" who claim the they they never ever heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" before just so they can falsely say that it's their very first listen of it.
It seems to be a thing with some millinials to pick "Bohemian Rhapsody" apart.

They seem to have lost the ability to listen to and appreciate a piece of music as a whole and if any part is not like the one before, they are totally confused ......even to the point of asking why anyone would do such a thing .
It's no secret why any classical music is completely alien and confusing to them for this reason .

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 06 Apr 2019 19:20

Music education in schools has declined in the last few decades.

If not for my music education in public school, I'd probably be listening to country AM radio stations, 'cause that's what my Grandad did.

I'm trying to teach my 5 yr old niece about music and records - currently she is fond of Reggae ;-}

She heard me playing Mozart horn concertos, and was asking about the instruments they played on the record. That was encouraging.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 06 Apr 2019 20:47

I will never forget my 10th grade English teacher back in the mid '60s . He was a folk singer on weekends..... playing an acoustical guitar.

I never liked any sort of home work so I rarely did any ..... except for my science classes which I loved .

Anyway, on my final test for the English class, among other things I was to write an essay on the song "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" .
On the basis of my essay on that song he passed me for the whole year . His attitude was it is more important that someone has a good grasp on what's really important than how to diagram a sentence etc .

My point is, today, you often have the "blind" teaching the "blind" .

Yeah, there are few bright spots today but, in the past that was the norm.... now it's the rare exception .

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Apr 2019 04:40

JDJX wrote:
06 Apr 2019 20:47

Anyway, on my final test for the English class, among other things I was to write an essay on the song "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" .
On the basis of my essay on that song he passed me for the whole year . His attitude was it is more important that someone has a good grasp on what's really important than how to diagram a sentence etc .
Where have all the flowers gone, indeed???! Just curious, JDJX, but do you still have that essay or do you remember what you wrote on it...I'd love to read something like that, even just to ponder your level of profundity at the time... :-k

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Apr 2019 06:54

vinyl master wrote:
07 Apr 2019 04:40
JDJX wrote:
06 Apr 2019 20:47

Where have all the flowers gone, indeed???! Just curious, JDJX, but do you still have that essay or do you remember what you wrote on it...I'd love to read something like that, even just to ponder your level of profundity at the time... :-k
I basically just wrote what the song is about.....about the never ending cycle of life and frequent wars and 'flowers" are used to illustrate this cycle. ......from girls picking them to placing them on soldier's to graves.... and asking the question, when will ever learn that this is not the way humankind should function.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 07 Apr 2019 16:48

zlartibartfast wrote:
06 Apr 2019 19:20
I'm trying to teach my 5 yr old niece about music and records - currently she is fond of Reggae ;-}
Hah! Wonderful, there is hope. Good for you and good for her. She's gravitated towards reggae, my dearly loved genre. Young minds really need an exposure to what's come before them. A dull mind is built on homogeneous repetition.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Apr 2019 20:21

Yeah, I think that just lack of exposure to good music plays a major role.

Believ4 it or not some of the younger generations are discovering Pink Floyd (DSOTM and WYWH) and some are even move to tears by it.

However there is a faction that... how can I say this politely....
....a certain faction who feel that to be true to there heritage, they can only like certain genres of music ...
Not al of this heritage feel this way and it seems to be even a gender related thing where the females are more open minded about music .

Having said all this, perhaps the children of those who are into vinyl will be exposed to better and different music. :)

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 07 Apr 2019 22:43

Maybe the wealth of music available on demand on streaming or even (gasp) YouTube can/is accomplishing the same thing. Not sure how vinyl automatically = "better music".

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Apr 2019 23:41

Bob Dillon wrote:
07 Apr 2019 22:43
Maybe the wealth of music available on demand on streaming or even (gasp) YouTube can/is accomplishing the same thing. Not sure how vinyl automatically = "better music".

IMO, it's like going to a restaurant that has a 10,000 items on the menu and you have no idea what is good... or going to a restaurant that only has a couple of dozen items but, every one is known to be of top quality .
Most would go to the latter.

IMO we are all suffering from "information overload" and what is good and/or important gets lost in the shuffle.

BTW, places like McDonalds used to have just basically hamburgers, fries and and a drink , They did a fantastic business.
Gradually they added more and more items until now, many have no idea what to order or even if they should order breakfast or dinner.
So, many do not even go there any more So......adding insult to injury, they added even more items ( to entice people to come) and confused people further.

We are also suffering from "choice overload"

So, people need less choices, not a never ending list of bewildering choices. More is not always better.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 08 Apr 2019 01:10

I remember when I was first getting into buying records with my own money as a grade schooler in the early 1980's. Once you saved up that 7-8 dollars to buy an LP, you picked it out carefully at the store (Tower or Peaches was always fun) and you got the most out of it, you played every song and learned every one even if you didn't like some of them so much. These days with the plethora of options it's easy to flit around playing a track here, half an album there and getting a surfacey experience out of it. But because of the easier exposure to different things on the 'net I think todays younger crowd is showing themselves to be more open to different genres and music that was around before they were born than my generation was. We had records and tapes and tended play it safer to mainly buy / listen to what was the approved mantra of our little peer group or what was on the hit parade. Some of our parents records may have filtered down, but it helped to have parents that weren't into Mantovani or even cared about at all about music to begin with.