Life lessons you've learned from music

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Life lessons you've learned from music

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jun 2019 11:24

OK, this one is for my friend Brian, or Big B5515 as we know him...While things may be hard sometimes (and I've had my share of it, too, lately... #-o ), we all have to remember that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger! A good motto to live by in any case! =D>

And to top it all off (and I've been watching a lot of these various "...Got Talent" videos), this young man knows all about THAT! We can all learn from his example and this song! =D>

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 14 Nov 2019 16:31

Yesterday, I happened to remember this John Denver song from my camping trip, while trying to think of a reggae song to warm up a cold day for the Song of the day thread, and after a closer listen, thought it had a good message about using less, and doing more to make life better, worthy of resurrecting this thread.
World Game

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 15 Nov 2019 01:23

I'll add one other recent discovery worthy of this thread From the Bottle Rockets with a message about not dwelling on the bad news and predictions, and that whatever you can do to stay happy is a good thing. As things often get me down and upset, it's a message I do need to adhere to more often.
Doomsday Letter

Ripvanvinyl
Canada

Post by Ripvanvinyl » 15 Nov 2019 04:29

After I posted in the Woodstock thread, it occurred to me that this is a more iconic piece- the dark side of the "peace and love" era that ended in 1969. It probably left a more lasting impression on me.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Nov 2019 01:50

All you need is love...and hope! And a little Oleta to get you through... :D

As my favorite local DJ, The Electrifying Mojo, used to say...

"Hold on tight...Don't let go!
When you feel like you're nearing the end of your rope...
Tie a knot! Keep hanging and keep remembering...
That there ain't nobody bad like you!"

The man was DEEEEEP! 8) If you are going through something, I want you to listen to his words from 45:18 to 47:07... :-k

He may have been speaking to the African-American community at the time, but his words speak for all of us..."NEVER...NEVER LOSE YOUR SPIRIT!" =D>

...And I still have my copy of his book, "The Mental Machine"! :D
Last edited by vinyl master on 16 Nov 2019 02:15, edited 3 times in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Nov 2019 02:09

I also posted this song recently on another thread, Hootie & The Blowfish's new song...

It's got a very good message...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Nov 2019 05:36

Posting another tune on the "Song Of The Day" thread has me thinking of this one, too...Tracy gets very deep here and I don't know anyone who wouldn't be affected by it after listening to the words...Powerful, yet understated, she's always given me much pause to think...

What say you guys??? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Dec 2019 00:50

Here...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Dec 2019 00:52

The message of that reminds me of this one a bit...I've always dug Lalah's music and "what goes around" definitely comes around back to you... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Dec 2019 00:56

You know, I saw the "Mr. Rogers" film that Tom Hanks is in, despite a few misgivings about him playing the part at first...The message of the film comes through, though...Mr. Rogers was a huge part of my childhood and this song has always stuck with me...Kelly did a nice rendition of it here on her new show (probably her best "Kellyoke" cover yet) and makes me think she should try more jazz...and that we should be better neighbors! :)

Of course, no one does it better than the man himself! :D

And for you Mr. Rogers fans, a couple more favorite tunes!

The young boy in the video, Jeff Erlanger, eventually came back years later to pay tribute to the man! =D>

We talk about life lessons here, but in all honesty, some of the most memorable ones came from Mr. Rogers himself! =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Dec 2019 01:18

Speaking of kindness, I found this one recently while researching an artist I found in a box of 45's...

Apparently, she started out as a country singer in the 80's and still is going strong...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Dec 2019 01:09

I also had a listen to the new soul-jazz album today from one of my personal favorite "guilty pleasure" artists...Ole Børud's "Outside The Limit" and I think this song from it and it's lyric pretty much represents the state of the world today...Somehow the lyrics just struck me as having a lot of truth in them...

I've always found, at least in my case, that when you point a finger at someone, three are still pointing back at you... :-k

All of us have some blame to shoulder for the states we find ourselves in, but we can get more done when we work together instead of tearing each other apart...