Life lessons you've learned from music

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Life lessons you've learned from music

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:23

Hello, guys and gals...I've been talking to our friend Big B5515 about starting a very personal thread...This one may go deeper than all of my other threads, but I want it to be focused on the music that has inspired us, encouraged us, and generally, made us better people...Maybe it's the music that has gotten us through very hard times...Maybe it's the wisdom of the lyrics...Maybe it's the music that has given us the most joy...Whatever music it is, I want to talk about the lessons it has taught you...The inspiration or wisdom it has given you...How has this music changed your life? In other words, what life lessons have you learned from it? What deep, profound insights has it given you? :-k

My vinyl mentor has discussed this subject with me before and I wanted to share some of the tunes he introduced to me and some I've shared with him...This thread is bound to go into some deep territory and if any of you wanna go deep with me, by all means, feel free to add your own two cents...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Life lessons you've learned from music

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:28

To start with, my vinyl mentor introduced me to this song from Lonnie Mack's "The Hills Of Indiana" album...Sometimes, we just need to lay down our burdens and be very real with each other...As the song says "After all, we're all the same trying hard to lay it down" and it is very hard to lay it down...It speaks personally to him, as he did a lot of drukqs back in the 60's and came out of that on the other side...Alcohol was another thing he found hard to quit, but he's been sober for quite a few years now, thanks to a doctor who wouldn't let up on him about it...There are many things in our lives that we'd probably like to lay down and leave in the past...Maybe you guys have similar things in your lives...Anyway, take a listen to the words...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:34

This song is related, in that sometimes we have to bury our hatreds and our strifes...Sometimes, we have to forgive others, even if it's for our own good...We may not be greeted in return with the same love and understanding, but we have to do it...This song has taught me to be more forgiving and to not hold any grudges too long...Life is short and sometimes, we may not get that second chance to make things right...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:37

When my vinyl mentor was younger, he would go out with the crowd, but his heart was broken over a girl...He pretended and put on a facade, but he was often lonely and it was the voice of Roy Orbison that was singing his story...This song cemented in his mind that Roy was "speaking his language" and it helped him get through a rough time in his life...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:40

This song always reminded him of his mother's love...She would often sing this one to him when he was very young, to get him to go to bed...

He eventually lost the 45' of it, but I helped find him another copy! :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:43

For myself (and I've mentioned this before), this one always gets me and reminds me of my mom...and even more so now, with my dad gone...It's sad, but it reminds us how precious life is and the struggles we sometimes have to face...But, with the two of us, we can get through the hard times together...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:47

I know we all can have our down times, but whenever I hear Van Morrison sing this, I somehow feel "magically" better...

It puts me in the right place, especially during times I need some healing (spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally and otherwise) and good health in my life...

There's a reason why Van's "Poetic Champions Compose" is one of my all-time favorite albums! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:50

I also dig the 5th Dimension and this song has taught me that I have to get out and enjoy the sunshine once in a while...I also have Jimmy Webb's original version on 45', but I like this one the best...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:52

The 5th has been there in many of my life's moments...Here's one from their "Soul & Inspiration" album that has taught me to see the beauty in the city as much as the country! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 19:58

And sometimes, you just have to get away and let it all hang out, like here on VE, for example...Also, sometimes you have to break free and be allowed to make your own mistakes...and learn from them...I'm so thankful that you guys get me and my crazy obessions like this thing called record collecting...Not everyone is so understanding of our hobby, you know...

This is definitely my place to "hide away", but I love it! 8)

And the 5th's music is one of those things that I can remember really digging in my younger days...I might not have gotten into jazz, if it wasn't for them and their intricate harmonies!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 20:05

Of course, speaking of jazz, one of the deeper albums I've gotten into is "Expansions" by Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmic Echoes...I have to thank a former guy I used to work with for introducing me to Lonnie...

In fact, I've been digging his stuff so much that when I saw this signed album at my latest record show...

...I had to have it...His stuff is just about good vibes, peace and love, which we ALL could more of in this sad world!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 20:08

For that former co-worker, he also had a song that got him through the hard times and I'm so glad he introduced me to Walter Jackson...If you don't know about the man, you should really look up his story! He knows of which he speaks when he sings this one!

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 21 Feb 2019 20:19

Read this......now how many of us make these mistakes .............

Curtains are drawn
Now the fire warms the room

Meanwhile outside
Wind from the north-east chills the air
It will soon be snowing out there

And some, there are cold
They prepare for a sleepless night
Maybe, this will be their last fight

But we're safe in each other's embrace
All fears go as I look on your face

Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?

Stand up to the blow that fate has struck upon you
Make the most of all, you still have coming to you
Lay down on the ground and let the tears run from you
Crying to the grass and trees and heaven finally on your knees

Let me live again, let life come find me wanting
Spring must strike again against the shield of winter
Let me feel once more the arms of love surround me
Telling me the danger's past, I need not fear the icy blast again

Laughter, music and perfume linger here
And there, and there
Wine flows from flask to glass and mouths
As it soothes, confusing our doubts

And soon we feel
Why do a single thing today
There's tomorrow sure as I'm here

So the days, they turn into years
And still no tomorrow appears

Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then

Stand up to the blow that fate has struck upon you
Make the most of all, you still have coming to you
Lay down on the ground and let the tears run from you
Crying to the grass and trees and heaven finally on your knees

Let me live again, let life come find me wanting
Spring must strike again against the shield of winter
Let me feel once more the arms of love surround me
Telling me the danger's past, I need not fear the icy blast again

Genesis.....Undertow....

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 20:21

Nice one, Pauw...Very deep! I will have to investigate some more early Genesis... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Feb 2019 20:22

I did want to go back to Walter for a moment, though...Sometimes, we just need less walls (and I'm not necessarily talking about the ones made of brick, stone and steel) and more doors of understanding, personally and otherwise..."In this life, some rain must fall", notes Walter, but "sometimes it takes the rain just to tear down the wall..."