David Crosby's Sky Trails...Weird!

name that tune
blackdogvinyl
United States of America

David Crosby's Sky Trails...Weird!

Post by blackdogvinyl » 17 Feb 2019 17:25

Bought brand new David Crosby's double LP Sky Trails. Surface noise on this pressing is significant. Last Crosby album I bought, also on BMG, was dead silent. Obviously some quality control issues.

Here's a weird thing though.
4 sides. Side 4 contains two songs, both of which are on side 1 and side 2. That's odd.

But, someone decided to master side 4 at 45 RPM. NOWHERE is this stated...except on the label itself, right under the words SIDE 4...in text about 1/32" high...gray ink on black background...45 RPM.

THAT is just bizarre.
Also strange is that he chose to release this as a double LP...and with the exception of side 1...the sides are about 50% dead wax! And the repeated songs on side 4. The whole thing is just extremely odd. They could have easily made this as a single disc.

poutrew
United States of America

Re: David Crosby's Sky Trails...Weird!

Post by poutrew » 18 Feb 2019 23:24

Well, regarding the 45 rpm speed, the faster the record rotates, the higher fidelity there can be. All else being equal, those songs should be sounding better at 45 rpm than 33 rpm... so they ought to have marketed side 4 as a 'special audiophile cut'. Regarding the over excessive deadwax, it might have been done to get rid of the inner groove distortion issues common to songs placed near the end of the record... or it could have all been done to justify a high price... take you pick of the above reasons. What I hate is when they put an 'etching' on side 4 - you cant even use the album to check for tracking issues :(

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: David Crosby's Sky Trails...Weird!

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 18 Feb 2019 23:42

A rapidly fading career, take advantage of renewed vinyl sales market, fatten up the retirement account. I would be likewise mystified and offended by the "deception" and short changing. His whole career wouldn't justify a double album (after CSN) imho! [-X