Phantom of the Opera - unplayable !

name that tune
RegaRage2

Phantom of the Opera - unplayable !

Post by RegaRage2 » 10 Feb 2019 13:05

Hello. I have just returned to vinyl,but have owned my Rega Planar 3 since the early 80s. It was upgraded with the RB300 arm and runs a Super Bias. It also has an isolated motor, but that has little bearing here. I have been enjoying my music and have had no issues (apart from surface noise) until I tried this album - PODV9 from 1987 ( original cast ). Side 1 was OK until the last 1/4 when the sound became distorted and the stylus skipped towards the spindle. I tried with increased anti skate to no avail. The stylus and LP are undamaged. Any comment from the more knowledgeable ? Thanks for reading. James.

Bufo Bill
Great Britain

Re: Phantom of the Opera - unplayable !

Post by Bufo Bill » 10 Feb 2019 23:41

Hi James, I'm not particularly knowledgeable, so my suggestion is fairly basic, but have you checked the Azimuth and cart alignment? Has it happened with any other records since?
Sorry I can't be of more help, but a real expert will probably chime in soon.
All the best from Bill.

RegaRage2

Post by RegaRage2 » 11 Feb 2019 09:48

Thanks Bill. Cartridge is set to the Rega Stevenson arc protractor and alignment, playing weight and azimuth etc are spot on. The deck has tracked everything else Ive thrown at it. I think the pressing is at fault and wondered if this was a "known" problem LP. BTW - you own some serious kit yourself !

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 11 Feb 2019 15:03

If this happens to this particular LP then most likely this LP is toast. Damaged or defective from the factory.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 11 Feb 2019 22:23

Just out of curiousity, was therre the possibility of a cloud of dust on the diamond? Does it happen again if you replay it? I have had that happen oer the years on occasion.

Bufo Bill
Great Britain

Post by Bufo Bill » 11 Feb 2019 23:43

RegaRage2 wrote:
11 Feb 2019 09:48
BTW - you own some serious kit yourself !
You're most kind James! Vintage hifi components are like my own special brand of catnip. I like to tell people that the only thing stranger than my gear is me. ;)

RegaRage2

Post by RegaRage2 » 12 Feb 2019 09:49

There was no dust visible on the stylus ( although it was brushed anyway ). I still have the SME headshell that replaced the original in my S200 arm. Thanks for input. LP is consigned to scrap.

fudgemaster
England

Post by fudgemaster » 13 Feb 2019 20:16

James, have you played this record previously, without any problem? Is there any sign of a fault with the grooves? Does it happen every time?

RegaRage2

Post by RegaRage2 » 14 Feb 2019 09:03

I only just got back into vinyl but remember problems playing this LP - albeit with a different ( cheaper ) cartridge ages ago. I have not tried playing it again as I am enjoying listening to everything else. I am inclined to think there is simply too much information stored ( its a double album ) (?)