HMV UK stores saved wonderful news what should we look forward to

name that tune
RedPhil

HMV UK stores saved wonderful news what should we look forward to

Post by RedPhil » 06 Feb 2019 08:06

Hi

With respect to the people who have unfortunately lost their jobs in the UK stores that are closing. I hope that you all find new opportunities. It is wonderful news that most HMV stores have been saved. We need (I need) real record shops and now I continue to have choice in my home town.

So I hear the buyer of the UK shops is Doug Putman who is both a vinyl lover and has brought and built up HMV in Canada under his Sunrise records brand.

Any of our Canadian friends able to let us know what to expect in our HMV stores here in the UK in the future.

Phil

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: HMV UK stores saved wonderful news what should we look forward to

Post by fscl » 06 Feb 2019 16:18

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 06 Feb 2019 18:24

Shopping on web is also killing classic vinyl shops. In the last year and half I have bought 3 used and maybe 4 new records in physical shops. All others on the web, used and new. But here is the reason that you can find vinyl shops only in the capital city, and I don`t have much time to go there.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 06 Feb 2019 23:04

Here is an article about Sunrise Records after they took over the Canadian HMV stores with an interview with the owner Doug Putnam. I heard him on the radio CBC this morning and he seemed quite enthusiastic about the current takeover and the future of vinyl records.

They have been successful with the Canadian stores, and he thinks they can do the same with the UK stores.

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/sunr ... -wake-hmv/

Here is the full interview:
https://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/20 ... ords-chain

yarvelling
England

Post by yarvelling » 08 Feb 2019 20:27

I'm very pleased to have heard that HMV has been bought by someone who actually cares about the merchandise sold in-store! My local HMV (In Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk) is a pretty good-size shop, and has had a great selection of vinyl for the last few years, and just before the news that the company was heading for trouble, they'd just doubled the size devoted to records, which now runs for almost the entire length of one of it's long walls....probably close on 40 feet of vinyl now!! :-D They also have a great CD section, and a massive amount of Blu-Ray and DVD's, and also headphones, accessories, and of course the plastic, nasty 'turntables'.... but it's a great store, with good employees, and a great range of stuff overall... I really hope this isn't one of the shops that may have to close.