Which classical album came out first?

name that tune
DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Which classical album came out first?

Post by DarthMaul » 04 Feb 2019 00:09

Which of these two classical albums came out first? Both were originally issued in 1968.

https://www.discogs.com/Pachelbel-Albin ... se/1828037

https://www.discogs.com/Pachelbel-Fasch ... se/7404544

AudioFeline
Australia

Re: Which classical album came out first?

Post by AudioFeline » 05 Feb 2019 05:36

I don't know which one came out first.

However, I believe that it was the Erato pressing that was played to Brian Eno when he was bedridden (in hospital?). The Pachelbel Canon was played, but at a volume too low to be able to be heard distinctly, and Eno was unable to get out of bed to be able to turn up the volume. He had no choice but to hear it quietly and indistinctly. This became the inspiration for him to develop the "ambient music" which he became famous for.

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 06 Feb 2019 18:02

I think the J.F. Paillard one came first.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 26 Feb 2019 01:54

Speaking of the Paillard recording, which pressing sounds best? Any that can exceed the quality of the blue and white Erato with the Muse logo?

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 26 Feb 2019 15:27

I have a Musical Heritage Society pressing (MHS-1060) of Canon. IMO it sounds pretty good.

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 27 Feb 2019 16:51

That recording by Paillard was also pressed by RCA. I have both the MHS and RCA pressings; the MHS is the better pressing.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 03 Mar 2019 03:07

johnnywalker wrote:
27 Feb 2019 16:51
That recording by Paillard was also pressed by RCA. I have both the MHS and RCA pressings; the MHS is the better pressing.
Interested in trying to obtain an Erato one? I suggest going to Discogs and ordering from either NathanielWessel or Villars. You will end up obtaining a third edition. Those are the easiest to find of the early pressings. Ones older than that are even harder to find. Don't expect to find one with the words "CHATEAUX ET CATHEDRALES" on the back of the cover. Those are first editions and have an Erato logo on the record label that all other Erato pressings of the record don't have, and they are ultra rare. I've got one myself.

The first three Erato editions have better sound than others, but be aware that you might get low level crackle in them. You won't find them on eBay so easily, although eBay's French site has a seller with a second edition for sale.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 03 Mar 2019 03:15

JoeE SP9 wrote:
26 Feb 2019 15:27
I have a Musical Heritage Society pressing (MHS-1060) of Canon. IMO it sounds pretty good.
Would you be interested in this one? I suggest you get it and see how it compares to the MHS:
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/9549461?ev=rb

This is the oldest release of the album that can be easily obtained on Discogs.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 03 Mar 2019 06:03

I just did a comparison of the black label reissue against the blue and white label with the Muse logo. Bass is just as strong in both, as is the treble. But the black one starts louder than the Muse logo edition and its dynamics don't seem as wide. I haven't done a full recording of the black label Erato pressing in years. The Muse logo one is the only one I've got a complete recording of from vinyl on my computer.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 03 Mar 2019 16:32

DarthMaul wrote:
03 Mar 2019 03:15
JoeE SP9 wrote:
Would you be interested in this one? I suggest you get it and see how it compares to the MHS:

The version I have is sufficient. I'm not into collecting multiple presses of the same music. Culling my LP collection from 3500+ to ~1,000 has been difficult enough.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 03 Mar 2019 20:22

JoeE SP9 wrote:
03 Mar 2019 16:32
DarthMaul wrote:
JoeE SP9 wrote:

The version I have is sufficient. I'm not into collecting multiple presses of the same music. Culling my LP collection from 3500+ to ~1,000 has been difficult enough.
I merely thought to ask. Knowing by now that you don't want to is okay.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 04 Mar 2019 01:42

I just saw information online about the Paillard recording being made in October 1968. I wonder how accurate that is. The information is from a French Wikipedia page.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discussio ... _Pachelbel

I wonder if there's any information regarding the Baumgartner recording. On the original record, it says ­­℗ 1968 on the record. Does anybody know what month this one was recorded?

Edit: I did a search, and saw 1968-12-11.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Baumgar ... 66&bih=861

The Paillard one definitely came first!

In case somebody else is interested, here's a rare copy made in Greece. Same edition as the first French one. If somebody is looking for a copy of this album, don't pass this one up. You normally cannot get Muse logo pressings. The seller's stylus is broken, and he is not able to play any records. Be aware that it will cost you $49. Not cheap. But it's understandable considering the edition of the record.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LE-CANON-DE-PA ... :rk:8:pf:0

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 04 Mar 2019 17:15

DarthMaul wrote:
03 Mar 2019 20:22
JoeE SP9 wrote:
DarthMaul wrote:

Please don't feel offended. I've been steadily collecting vinyl since 1966. Reducing from a max of 3500+ to ~1k has been a major thing for me. Even when my collection was at it's maximum I had very few multiples of anything. Those that were multiples were always because of a mistake when buying. Collecting/comparing different pressings of the same music has never had any appeal to me.

There is one exception to this. That being Kind Of Blue. I have the original stereo LP (Mono and stereo versions are sourced from the same three track master), the first CD release, the Super Bitmap Gold CD version and a recent re-release on 180Gm vinyl. The last two are sourced from the backup tape.

The original mono and stereo versions, subsequent LP's and the first CD were all sourced from the master backup. Unfortunately, that machine was recording at the wrong speed. This results in playback being a semitone sharp. As a musician this always bothered me. That's why I bought the Super Bitmap CD and the 180Gm vinyl (both stereo). They are sourced from the backup. The backup machine was working properly.

And no, I won't be buying a mono LP version as mono and stereo come from the same three track master. If I want to hear it in mono my preamp has a switch setting for that.

I do admit to buying more than one version of some classical pieces. That's because some are IMO better performances. Those are the ones I've kept. The others are already gone.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 05 Mar 2019 23:43

JoeE SP9 wrote:
04 Mar 2019 17:15
DarthMaul wrote:
03 Mar 2019 20:22
JoeE SP9 wrote:

Please don't feel offended. I've been steadily collecting vinyl since 1966. Reducing from a max of 3500+ to ~1k has been a major thing for me. Even when my collection was at it's maximum I had very few multiples of anything. Those that were multiples were always because of a mistake when buying. Collecting/comparing different pressings of the same music has never had any appeal to me.

There is one exception to this. That being Kind Of Blue. I have the original stereo LP (Mono and stereo versions are sourced from the same three track master), the first CD release, the Super Bitmap Gold CD version and a recent re-release on 180Gm vinyl. The last two are sourced from the backup tape.

The original mono and stereo versions, subsequent LP's and the first CD were all sourced from the master backup. Unfortunately, that machine was recording at the wrong speed. This results in playback being a semitone sharp. As a musician this always bothered me. That's why I bought the Super Bitmap CD and the 180Gm vinyl (both stereo). They are sourced from the backup. The backup machine was working properly.

And no, I won't be buying a mono LP version as mono and stereo come from the same three track master. If I want to hear it in mono my preamp has a switch setting for that.

I do admit to buying more than one version of some classical pieces. That's because some are IMO better performances. Those are the ones I've kept. The others are already gone.
I apologize if I came across as offended. I actually wasn't offended at all and was fine with your response. And yes, I agree with the rest of your post. I don't like it when a recording sounds off either.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 12 Mar 2019 19:04

By the way,

I just uploaded a video to YouTube so you can know what the first pressing sounds like. Do any of you like the way this one sounds compared to the MHS? Does the MHS release have bass and treble as strong as this one? The video is unlisted, and I will only have it up temporarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS4Mtd ... e=youtu.be