How is this possible - broken record?

name that tune
RockerFrank
Finland

Re: How is this possible - broken record?

Post by RockerFrank » 01 Feb 2019 15:57

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
01 Feb 2019 14:31
RockerFrank wrote:
01 Feb 2019 08:20
boring would life be buying from experienced dealers only. The best finds are on some regular guy's shelf.
Or direct from the artist. My last buy was made from Bandcamp... And I find it important to support independant artists that I like.
Totally! That way the money certainly goes to the right place.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 01 Feb 2019 16:23

Yo record receivers:

Check to see if the package was insured. I have had things that were broken in the mail (including a face plate on an amplifier that I shipped out to an Ebay purchaser). You can always make a claim on the postal insurance (which will pay off) and recover enough to purchase another item. Years ago, I got my first Dual record changer when a Garrard Autoslim that I shipped to myself got run over by a mail truck and seriously squashed. When you ship stuff, always get it insured. There is no way you can predict what will happen when you ship stuff.

I was able to get $35.00 from the postal insurer. I put $15.00 additional with it and got myself a brand new Dual with an Empire 999 cartridge.

And good luck from the old insurance claimant,

Joe Z.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 01 Feb 2019 17:57

I had the mailman hand me a sagging 13"2 box. My heart drooped immediately. As soon as I was back to my senses, he was driving off. No recourse from Canada Post as it came fom the US. My suspicion is it gat between two boxes halfway out and another box fell to splinter the exposed part. Also had 2 melted recordsnnthat week. Guess postie trucks don't get required to use climate control in the vehicles.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 03 Feb 2019 10:52

I've only received broken 78's in the mail.

Vanni

Post by Vanni » 04 Feb 2019 18:18

I did spend close to a decade working at the local post office sorting room, and will say that the bulky stuff does not go through any kind of post stamping machinery. All the big stuff like vinyl records, including 45s, is carefully and tediously post marked by hand.

In my experience, all damage to bulky stuff occurs before it even reaches the sorting room, most likely when the mailing sacks are being loaded onto planes or when being offloaded at the airport, and all we could do was repair the damaged package with the 'received in this condition' tape.

I have personally seen how mail is offloaded at the airport and believe me it's not a nice sight at all.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 07 Feb 2019 15:43

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
31 Jan 2019 15:28
JDJX wrote:
31 Jan 2019 14:33
You can not blame mail personal if the LP was not packed properly.
An LP should be mailed in an LP mailer and the LP protected securely inside of it.

So, unless we know how it was packed (and labled), we can not assign any blame.

BTW, one should order LPs from a knowledgeable LP dealer, and just just from "someone on the web" :)

Quite right. Just got a vinyl that was shipped in a soft envelope; bubble type but that's not enough and the cover is totally messed up. Envelopes go through sorting machines with rollers and other instruments of torture where a vinyl is concerned. :lol:

I also once got a record that was folded by the mailman to fit the mailbox; US mailboxes are so perfect for the new shape... :D
As a former employee of Mr. Bezos, I was horrified seeing vinyl come down the Rube Goldberg maze consisting of a collection of belts, rollers, chutes and human hands in the process of shipment to the customer...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Lots were not properly packed as VldczPre described, shorn in nothing more than a manilla bubble lined envelope...... #-o ](*,)

As a vinyl enthusiast, I would always make sure to place them on my pallet standing up and sandwiched between larger boxes on their way to the "last mile".

Those who know better carefully prepare packaging so vinyl can withstand current supply chain logistics. Packaging for the Kickstarter project of The Golden Record box set was exquisitely well done...... =D> =D> =D>

I'm sure many package handlers have never experienced vinyl as a storage medium and have inadvertently become:

R.I.P. your AC vinyl...... :( If, as JoeZ mentions, insurance doesn't cover the breakage, then your only recourse is a negative rating for packing and receiving a defective LP...... :-k :-k :-k

Fred

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 20 Feb 2019 05:45

It's frustrating when sellers don't package records appropriately. I'm especially nervous buying shellac 78's which are especially brittle. I contact the record seller and request appropriate packaging and give advice when they are not sure how to do it.

However, you only have so much control. Once a seller gave me great assurance that he knew how to pack a single 78 I bought. It arrived in the post inserted into a paper envelope, with no protective packing at all (not even bubble-wrap)! I could not believe when I opened it that it wasn't damaged at all. Sometimes you can be lucky.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 20 Feb 2019 12:04

fscl wrote:
07 Feb 2019 15:43
If, as JoeZ mentions, insurance doesn't cover the breakage, then your only recourse is a negative rating for packing and receiving a defective LP......
I sent an email to the artist/seller which he did not bother responding to. Now I'm going to get in touch with Bandcamp to see what they have to say... although probably nothing.