How do you separate the art from the artist?

name that tune
philbrown
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 832
Joined: 16 Mar 2009 17:51
Location: San Rafael, CA
Contact:

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by philbrown » 16 Jan 2019 19:45

May I remind the assembled multitudes that it's the music business, not the music not-for-profit. Without the business part it's just you and your friends playing. The business part means you can go to a show, listen to jazz in a club and play a record in you living room.
Phil Brown

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 19138
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 06:27

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jan 2019 20:04

philbrown wrote:
16 Jan 2019 19:45
May I remind the assembled multitudes that it's the music business, not the music not-for-profit. Without the business part it's just you and your friends playing. The business part means you can go to a show, listen to jazz in a club and play a record in you living room.
Phil Brown
True, and it's always those big releases from major artists that often help keep your favorite non-hitmaker-but-critically-acclaimed artists performing and making records, too, even if the masses aren't biting...There are plenty of excellent musicians who will never see a Top 40 record, but have incredible performing and songwriting skills...Maybe they are in a genre that is not as profitable as the rap and hip hop that floods the airwaves daily, but it does not mean that the music is bad...Far from it! =D>

2002afan
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 295
Joined: 29 Jan 2018 02:45
Location: Gainesville, Virginia

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by 2002afan » 31 Jan 2019 15:55

I gave away all my Teddy Pendergrass CDs after he was caught with his pants down. :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 19138
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 06:27

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by vinyl master » 31 Jan 2019 16:27

2002afan wrote:
31 Jan 2019 15:55
I gave away all my Teddy Pendergrass CDs after he was caught with his pants down. :lol:
Of course, you've heard the story of his paralysis and what happened that day, right? :-k

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/ ... 24336.html

I remember when he passed away...

https://www.cantonrep.com/x1672009808/T ... lon-cancer

It was emotional to see him come back on stage at the Soul Train Awards, too...I think that accident changed him and at least, he's hopefully not in pain anymore...


2002afan
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 295
Joined: 29 Jan 2018 02:45
Location: Gainesville, Virginia

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by 2002afan » 31 Jan 2019 17:26

vinyl master wrote:
31 Jan 2019 16:27
2002afan wrote:
31 Jan 2019 15:55
I gave away all my Teddy Pendergrass CDs after he was caught with his pants down. :lol:
Of course, you've heard the story of his paralysis and what happened that day, right? :-k

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/ ... 24336.html

I remember when he passed away...

https://www.cantonrep.com/x1672009808/T ... lon-cancer

It was emotional to see him come back on stage at the Soul Train Awards, too...I think that accident changed him and at least, he's hopefully not in pain anymore...

Yes, He had a voice of velvet. I remember when he used to have "for women only concerts".
May he RIP.

plyscds
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 536
Joined: 14 Jan 2010 21:58
Location: PA

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by plyscds » 31 Jan 2019 17:35

Sometimes a song is adopted regardless of it's origins. During The American Civil War the songs held most popularly sung by both the North and the South had their origins on the other sides of the Mason-Dixon line.

During The First World War (1914 - 1918), with reference to the culinary arts, Americans got to keep their sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) by renaming it "victory cabbage".

Art is a creation of people. Or should we say it is a creation by people - singularly and as groups. Both groupings generally aspire to high ideals, but somehow other factors sometimes get in the way. History will bear that out. Sometimes a temporary or long term shift in social pressure will generate pressure against certain artists or their works.

Perhaps the most effective way to enjoy art is to know as little as possible about the creator(s) of the art you cozy up to. :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 19138
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 06:27

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by vinyl master » 31 Jan 2019 18:08

plyscds wrote:
31 Jan 2019 17:35

During The First World War (1914 - 1918), with reference to the culinary arts, Americans got to keep their sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) by renaming it "victory cabbage".
Is that the same as "freedom fries"? :-k

plyscds
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 536
Joined: 14 Jan 2010 21:58
Location: PA

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by plyscds » 31 Jan 2019 18:51

vinyl master wrote:
31 Jan 2019 18:08
plyscds wrote:
31 Jan 2019 17:35

During The First World War (1914 - 1918), with reference to the culinary arts, Americans got to keep their sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) by renaming it "victory cabbage".
Is that the same as "freedom fries"? :-k
Fortunately I know very little of these "freedom fries" of which you speak.

vanakaru
senior member
senior member
Posts: 428
Joined: 24 Mar 2015 10:05

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by vanakaru » 31 Jan 2019 19:48

I can say that american are a bit extreme on purity(I lived there for 15 years). When they elect the president the person has to do terrible things, be a crook, destroy opponents to get nomination and - become pure and clean like newborn baby after he gets elected. Weird!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 19138
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 06:27

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by vinyl master » 31 Jan 2019 22:51

plyscds wrote:
31 Jan 2019 18:51
vinyl master wrote:
31 Jan 2019 18:08
plyscds wrote:
31 Jan 2019 17:35

During The First World War (1914 - 1918), with reference to the culinary arts, Americans got to keep their sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) by renaming it "victory cabbage".
Is that the same as "freedom fries"? :-k
Fortunately I know very little of these "freedom fries" of which you speak.
Well, there was an anti-German sentiment at some point, which led to "victory cabbage"...There was also an albeit short-lived anti-French sentiment which led to "freedom fries", but fortunately it did NOT stick...You can read about that little-remembered episode here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_fries

Personally, I'm just glad we went back to French Fries and sauerkraut...Victory cabbage with my kielbasa and pierogis just doesn't sound right! In fact, I made a very good soup with those last three things recently, but that's another story... :-k

plyscds
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 536
Joined: 14 Jan 2010 21:58
Location: PA

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by plyscds » 01 Feb 2019 19:33

Well, I never heard of that development, being stuck on the afternoon shift at my job when all the big network news shows would have endeavored to enlightened me.

Don't tell anybody, but there is a local revered and ancient tradition that pork and sauerkraut eaten on New Year's Day leads to good luck through the coming year. This is usually served with mashed potatoes. I have taken to mixing these into one amorphous mass on the plate. Those who stare just don't know what they're missing. Obviously the art in it eludes them. :wink:

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 3980
Joined: 28 Nov 2013 21:17
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by JDJX » 02 Feb 2019 04:00

This reminds me of "Cat Stevens" when he officially announced that he coveted to Islam... in '77.
Fact is, anyone who ever payed any attention to some of the lyres of his last couple of albums up to that point already knew that.

Anyway, some .. shall we say... ignorant Americans stated to trash his records and even went so far as to say that he must give up his US citizenship as they erroneously believed that Cat had renounced the US.
This is how ignorant they were as he was never a US citizen... being from the UK .

Then he said the he had to give up his music which he later said was just the result of of very bad info that he originally got.
He has since gotten back into his music... even performing his old songs, realizing that his music and Islam are perfectly compatible.
He has since gotten back a lot of his old fans and you can again hear his old songs on the "oldies" radio stations.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7257
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 21:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Feb 2019 10:13

JDJX wrote:
02 Feb 2019 04:00
This reminds me of "Cat Stevens" when he officially announced that he coveted to Islam... in '77.
Fact is, anyone who ever payed any attention to some of the lyres of his last couple of albums up to that point already knew that.

Anyway, some .. shall we say... ignorant Americans stated to trash his records and even went so far as to say that he must give up his US citizenship as they erroneously believed that Cat had renounced the US.
This is how ignorant they were as he was never a US citizen... being from the UK .

Then he said the he had to give up his music which he later said was just the result of of very bad info that he originally got.
He has since gotten back into his music... even performing his old songs, realizing that his music and Islam are perfectly compatible.
He has since gotten back a lot of his old fans and you can again hear his old songs on the "oldies" radio stations.
This is a good example of people putting their prejudices ahead of their love of music.

I liked Cat Stevens music before I heard of that, and my only reaction to hearing it way back when was that it was interesting, and I didn't know that. He made some great music and I enjoy listening to it. It makes our lives richer.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 19138
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 06:27

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by vinyl master » 02 Feb 2019 12:51

Regarding Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam, some of his more recent work is very good, indeed...and is very reminiscent of his earlier work...


vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 19138
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 06:27

Re: How do you separate the art from the artist?

Post by vinyl master » 02 Feb 2019 12:52

Here's a sampling of his last album...